British Speedway Forum

Poole 2020

DC2

Seems like another club "tucked up" by the fixed race nights for the PL ?

It completely  finished Rye House and appears to have driven Poole out of the PL.

As for saving money it remains to be seen how much  riders who need to "double up" to make UK speedway viable  will demand to race  if there is only one league.

3 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Time will tell, if Poole are struggling, there must be more 

Unlikely...............Ipswich have a good business model and havent been spendthrifts and have a very good sponsor.

Just because Poole are not in great financial shape doesnt mean others are in the same boat

1 minute ago, Gavan said:

Unlikely...............Ipswich have a good business model and havent been spendthrifts and have a very good sponsor.

Just because Poole are not in great financial shape doesnt mean others are in the same boat

You Oviously haven't seen some of the crowds on TV, take Peterborough, there was nobody there 

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

For me I will support it & go each week, but not too happy. What was the points limit for championship? 38 this year? feel a long tail coming on! the product was made very weak last year due to costs! 

On a plus side the south coast derby is back on with Eastie!!

Hardly a local derby. It’s 113 miles away!

I don’t think it’s a good move at all. The crowd will drop at least 25% so no gain there. Add a drop to get in, as fans won’t tolerate £18 for an inferior product and there’s a shortfall already.

With a 38 points limit we will be watching a couple of wobblers at reserve. 

This hasn’t been mentioned but I think the rise of AFCB has a link to one of the reasons why the crowds have dropped at Poole. Their success from about 4 years ago ties in as a direct possibility. There are some that used to post regularly on here that are now season ticket holders at AFCB who no longer attend speedway and have said they can’t afford both.

I myself find it very disheartening. I heard the main sponsor fiasco cost the club over £40,000. Thats a huge missing lump to cover wages, rent etc. No wonder the club has found funds tight, leading to extended r/r with Worrall and cheap replacements. But is dropping down going to lead to a main team sponsor who is prepared to pay out for the privilege, in the knowledge that his or her company is not going to get any TV coverage? Unless Eurosport, who we hear have put a decent TV deal on the table, are willing to spread their investment over all leagues, there’s no piece of the pie to be snaffled up. 

The Premier league is not a viable league with 6 clubs. Everyone can see that. So, either Matt Ford has a ploy to get Chapman or another to buy the club to take the PL back to 7 clubs, or alternatively it’s to crash the PL so that all clubs have to sit down together and form new leagues, with a decent amount of clubs in whatever format to make it more attractive to the fans.

Swindon and Poole are good rivals. Love going up to Blunsdon. Swindon will miss us badly. Instead, as it currently stands, they will see 5 other teams in 2020. Never going to work and we all know it. And currently no club is going to come up to replace Poole.

I personally don’t believe a regional league, north and south, with playoffs (2 from south 2 from north) is a viable or sensible concept. The U.K. is a small country. Wolves north or south? Birmingham north or south/ Belle Vue to Monmore is just over an hour but they could be in different leagues? Not going to work.

Perhaps a year of one league would be a way forward. I see that would be 27 riders short, due to doubling up. But it can be covered. NL reserves. Or, if there is decent TV money, entice a few young Swedes and Poles over from the lower leagues. Experience gained over making a wedge. Eurosport would surely like a league 20 + over a league of 6.

Sorry for length of post just thinking and typing ideas as they come into my head.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gavan said:

even you have to admit the top tier of speedway is on its arse 

5 minutes ago, Gavan said:

On the plus side, with Poole dropping down, that makes holder and Kurtz available, go on Gavan you know you would like them there 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Gavan is getting all excited, with Poole out of the way, gives his team more chance of glory 

Not at all ................id love all teams to be like Poole.............that way we would win every semi final we were in against a team who threw in the towel

Id like Poole to stay up but its not the end of the world.

I can see the Prem running with 7 or 8 teams and that will be just fine

• Haha 1