British Speedway Forum

Plymouth speedway

Mike0310

• 3 weeks later...

Think I need to follow Plymouth a bit more closely next season considering I think of them as my second team but didn't really pay much attention last season: First of all I hope the NL even happens at all!! But if it does I think it will be much weaker than previous season... As a bit of fun, a few names I want to see return:

Richard Andrews - No. 3? And captain

Adam Extance No. 4?

Adam Sheppard No. 2?

Henry Atkins No. 5?

If the limit is high enough and the rumours about him are true, I'd love to see Adam Roynon return as number 1

Then maybe James Chattin, Jamie Bursill, Tom Young or Kris Andrews as reserves? Depends on what fits obviously James and Jamie would be the ideal two

Hope all goes well in the NL AGM today, for ALL teams and we start hearing team news soon

Any other thoughts from people who go every week and actually know something about Plymouth speedway (Unlike me)

http://plymouthdevils.proboards.com/thread/10075/rider-rode-plymouth-plymouths-average

For anyone that’s interested on the Plymouth forum I worked out the statics for last season for every home and away rider at the arena. This was inspired by the film moneyball based on a real story with a baseball club who bought players on pure stats. 

interestingly working on stats throws a team up that would be different to the one I would normally have.

• Confused 1

the first 5 names are....

1-Alfie bowtell - 9.24?
2- Henry Atkins -5.86
3- Richard Andrews - 6.55 
4- ?
5- Nathan Stoneman - 8.22 
6- Sheldon Davies 3.00?
7- ?

Personally think what a superb start to team building ! 

Believe this totals 32.87 leaving 6.13 potentially for team building ?

Read more:  http://plymouthdevils.proboards.com/thread/10068/national-league-team-2020#ixzz68I9OMMy6

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Surely Bursill deserves another season, and Sheppard had the season of his life last year and could miss out on a spot.

But without any other team announcements that looks a very strong potentially winning side. And attractive to watch as well.

Don't see it with Bursill personally i find him awkward to watch on a bike and the Colliseum doesn't suit him. Sheppard certainly made the most of the home advantage but i fear its his swan song also. 

As for the rest Andrews managed to end on a attractive average again and Atkins looks a bargain on that figure but Stoneman & Bowtell must be considered expensive on those figures? Fingers crossed Davies has got better equipment finally or i fear another season of mediocre for Plymouth.

36 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Underwhelming Plymouth side so far that will do little to appease the disappointed promotion/fans. Could be tactical to ensure that the move up is seen as the correct one but losses and lower attendances this season could cost the clubs longer term vision.

Looks a strong team with the 39 points limit in my view!

• Like 2

I think the team looks great? Can't understand the negative comments at all? Solid top 4, Sheldon and Aaron should grow well, just look forward to seeing who the final signing is... Might not be title winners, but still a good team, will make my way back down again this season for sure

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Underwhelming Plymouth side so far that will do little to appease the disappointed promotion/fans. Could be tactical to ensure that the move up is seen as the correct one but losses and lower attendances this season could cost the clubs longer term vision.

What a load of tosh!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Validate your argument please,how is this a poor side solid heat leaders one very solid second string so far and 2 reserves who should improve and  with 3.13 left someone who could interchange with the reserves if needed I totally do not get your argument in my opinion you have just put out a sweeping statement to get a reaction from people like me.

• Like 2

It’s a strong top 4 with particularly improvement potential in Atkins who could easily add 2-3 points on his average. But it looks a poor bottom 3. The third signing is likely to be Bursill and none of those 3 have really pushed on at all despite having opportunities. 

It’s hard to judge when there isn’t other teams to compare against but the top 4 should win them most meetings at home and get the odd points away. It looks like a team that’ll be around 4th and get a play-off spot but they’re lacking something at the bottom end to really make them a title contender. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Islander15 said:

It’s a strong top 4 with particularly improvement potential in Atkins who could easily add 2-3 points on his average. But it looks a poor bottom 3. The third signing is likely to be Bursill and none of those 3 have really pushed on at all despite having opportunities. 

It’s hard to judge when there isn’t other teams to compare against but the top 4 should win them most meetings at home and get the odd points away. It looks like a team that’ll be around 4th and get a play-off spot but they’re lacking something at the bottom end to really make them a title contender. 

A good post alot of common sense  hopefully Davies or butcher  will kick on this season this would make  the difference between a good season or a great season the main thing though will be injuries alot of riders get injured in the nl by over riding. 

• Like 1