British Speedway Forum

Plymouth speedway

Mike0310

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The Islands traditional race night was Tuesday. Going up against Poole most Thursdays seemed a strange decision, maybe Wightlink played a part in that choice.

I was trying to explain why they raced midweek, not on the specific day. I certainly remember them racing regularly on Tuesdays. The logistics of running an amateur sports team in a national league from an offshore island (just) are extreme and the normal rules don't apply. Getting cheap ferry travel is essential so meeting Wightlink's needs is equally essential. So far it seems like the IoW management are keeping the balance well.

I just hope that Plymouth can plough the same path. They also have access problems in the form of distance but there's little prospect of getting help from someone like Wightlink. 

Having been to the SBA I do wonder if it has the physical capacity to pay for higher league racing. In many ways that was Rye House's downfall. Even if you could have filled the place (and that would have been a very tight fit even before the stadium became dilapidated) I wonder if the gate receipts could ever have been enough to cover costs at the highest level, but then they were relying on Sky money that was never going to come. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

If who we think is helping them commercially then thats a great start for plymouth for 2020. However getting numbers thru the gate is probably going to nearly have to  double to make it remotely profitable, the track is also a cause for concern.

Who is helping them ?

22 hours ago, lewy said:

Reportedly losing money hand over fist!Where has this been reported and by who,or is it just you and your know all attitude spreading gossip again, plus they have stated a change of race night would be required, I believe possibly a Tues or Saturday nite are being muted but not confirmed  however thier is alot of hoops to jump through before being accepted so nothing is definite atm.

That's what I have been told. Six figure sum since they took over, apparently.

However, maybe my sources (which are pretty good) have got it wrong. Care to put me (and others) straight ? Thought not:D

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Islander15 said:

ingStrange reply.

Barry Bishop races on a Thursday and Rob McCaffrey explains why. 

Im sure Plymouth must get a fair proportion of fans from holiday makers but by not riding on their traditional Friday night or alternative Saturday night then they’re missing out on those on a long weekend. That could even be a long weekend speedway holiday!

Looking up and down the country, fans get into a routine of what night to go and at some clubs that’s been midweek for years but other’s can only get them to come when it’s a Friday night or weekend. Look at Leicester & Rye House recently or Lakeside’s Sunday NL attendances.

Finally I wouldn’t regard Scunthorpe as a team that win at home. Only 6 home league wins from 10 this season. I recall a similar record last season. What they do is pride themselves on an entertaining track and sign relatable riders that are loyal. 

I know when Ashley Taylor was planning to try and open in Cornwall the two nights he would not consider were Friday and Saturday because holidaymakers would either be coming or going.

I can well appreciate why they might switch from a Friday (having travelled to Plymouth on that day) but you do run the risk of losing families due to school commitments.

Having said that, it is indicative that Somerset chose to stick with Wednesdays on returning to the Championship rather than going back to Fridays and Adrian Smith has said that in the school holidays Belle Vue get bigger gates on Mondays than Fridays.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

That's what I have been told. Six figure sum since they took over, apparently.

However, maybe my sources (which are pretty good) have got it wrong. Care to put me (and others) straight ? Thought not:D

Who are your sources must be someone on the management/ promotion team if not they wouldn't be party to any facts it would be just idle gossip which you tend to quote more often  than not

I'll not put you right because I don't know the FACTS and don't quote gossip so who is your reliable source??

2 hours ago, lewy said:

Who are your sources must be someone on the management/ promotion team if not they wouldn't be party to any facts it would be just idle gossip which you tend to quote more often  than not

I'll not put you right because I don't know the FACTS and don't quote gossip so who is your reliable source??

If you don't know the facts then you have no idea whether what I am saying is 'idle gossip'  or the truth of the matter (on this or any other occasion).

I'll let others decide on the strength of my reputation as a poster if it is true or not and, unlike you, most of them will not let their club bias get in the way when they do. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

If you don't know the facts then you have no idea whether what I am saying is 'idle gossip'  or the truth of the matter (on this or any other occasion).

I'll let others decide on the strength of my reputation as a poster if it is true or not and, unlike you, most of them will not let their club bias get in the way when they do. 

Your reputation as a poster really!!! What are the FACTS and who is your source with your reputation that really can't be a difficult question to answer rather than keep deflecting the issue is it gossip or fact?

Edited by lewy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, lewy said:

Your reputation as a poster really!!! What are the FACTS and who is your source with your reputation that really can't be a difficult question to answer rather than keep deflecting the issue is it gossip or fact?

I would say that Halifaxtiger is a highly reputable poster and vast supporter of the sport rather any blinkered allegiances. He is fully entitled to keep his sources private as discussions locally are not always intended to be on the record but often incredibly accurate and incitement. The promotion at Plymouth have stated upon their own forum that financial increases are required and large sums if a step up in league is required. 

Facts will become evident as unless the tide of losses is stemmed then the current promotion could step away from the club and the risk of losses is even higher in the upper leagues. 

• Like 2

As I am mot one to post gossip here are some facts plymouth speedway running costs are minimal and they are definitely not running with a six figure loss my source is Mark Phillips the owner/promoter of the club. Their was some initial outlay to purchase the club and new airfence which are now assets but I suppose you know different ht.

• Like 2

Fact is.. whether you’re making a loss of 1p or £1m you’re making a loss. I personally can’t see how moving up will help Plymouth as the costs must be nearly tripled? I don’t know what costs go into running a speedway team but surely just thinking of it as a business I’d guess your costs are: track rent, medical, insurance, riders wages, mileage, track staff, referees I presume take a wage? 

Whats the average NL rider? £20pp x 45 £900

what’s the average CL rider? £70pp x 45 £3150 so just in rider wages as I’m guessing that’s the only tangible cost from those above. I guess they can charge £15/£16 for championship 

£3150 - 900 = 2250 / £15 = they’d need an extra 150 people through the gate. That’s a big risk as if you don’t get the 2250 each night 15 home meetings at a loss of 2250£ Not quite six figure but it’s a 5 figure loss!

• Like 2

I would like to see them back in the higher leagues..

however Mark has admitted himself there are a lot of hurdles to jump across before anything is decided this isnt a definate move up its if they can get funding and the footfall increased then that is what they are aiming to do.

this is far from a concrete move up i wish them all the luck in ticking all the boxes.. i will wait with held breath hoping they do.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, Richard Weston said:

Me thinks a very clever man is whispering in their ears when it comes to the business side of speedway.

Im surprised nobody has mentioned this considering its already been reported by Plymouth..

On 9/27/2019 at 10:42 PM, TurnTwo said:

Fact is.. whether you’re making a loss of 1p or £1m you’re making a loss. I personally can’t see how moving up will help Plymouth as the costs must be nearly tripled? I don’t know what costs go into running a speedway team but surely just thinking of it as a business I’d guess your costs are: track rent, medical, insurance, riders wages, mileage, track staff, referees I presume take a wage? 

Whats the average NL rider? £20pp x 45 £900

what’s the average CL rider? £70pp x 45 £3150 so just in rider wages as I’m guessing that’s the only tangible cost from those above. I guess they can charge £15/£16 for championship 

£3150 - 900 = 2250 / £15 = they’d need an extra 150 people through the gate. That’s a big risk as if you don’t get the 2250 each night 15 home meetings at a loss of 2250£ Not quite six figure but it’s a 5 figure loss!

When you say £20pp X 45 =£900 doesnt the gate money have to cover home and away meetings.

4 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

When you say £20pp X 45 =£900 doesnt the gate money have to cover home and away meetings.

Yes, the gate money has to cover one home and one away meeting.

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

I wouldn’t have a clue, now you say it that makes more sense as I guess they pay for the whole meeting so double that figure...

Each Club pays its own riders for home and away rather than both teams for a home meeting.