British Speedway Forum

Rossiter Stands Down

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Can’t really see people queueing up for the post, your just the programme filler.A few wee “ jollies “ though.

Absolutely correct. 

For me, the way forward is to give the responsabilites to the team captain. 

Rob and Vicky should pick the rider's for Great Britain meetings and then Woffy does the rest on race days. 

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Are there enough occasions that Britain competes as a team to warrent a Team Manager nowadays? Gone are the days of regular Test Matches and the like.

Spot on steve ,         Alun is better off out of it but his record stacks up pretty well he has overachieved and yes he can move on with his head held high.Will anyone do any better i think not we are where we are my interest is with the youth and Neil Vatcher as we have some nice prospects being produced in the NL with Drew Kemp leading the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Exactly city, i could not care less Rossiter is better off out of it it is a poisoned chalice .As long as Neil Vatcher is left alone to continue his job with the youngsters i am more than happy.

How is it a "poisoned chalice"? No one expects GB to actually win anything given we only have one world class rider. All people expect is that the team don't make schoolboy errors, like taking six sports scientists and no reserve rider to the finals.

Well Done Rosco, I doubt very much it's a compensated role, so thanks for your service.  You can only work with the tools your given and when some of your competition is having money thrown at them for engines and tuning etc it's not hard to see why we don't finish on top despite having Tai.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattK said:

How is it a "poisoned chalice"? No one expects GB to actually win anything given we only have one world class rider. All people expect is that the team don't make schoolboy errors, like taking six sports scientists and no reserve rider to the finals.

1 hour ago, Wessex Wanderer said:

How about Phil Morris as next GB manager. Experienced, intelligent and articulate. Not sure if his present GP involvement is far more attractive though. 

:)

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Hand on heart Matt is this job attractive? i think not by the way do you think Rossiter has he done a good job or not.?

Edited by Sidney the robin

17 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Hand on heart Matt is this job attractive? i think not by the way do you think Rossiter has he done a good job or not.?

If you're a team manager, then yes I'd say it is attractive, as you can easily do it alongside your day job. It isn't attractive to someone like Phil Morris, as he has a proper job which presumably he couldn't do alongside being FIM Race Director.

As for Rosco, I think he achieved what could have been reasonably expected with the riders at his disposal. Clearly he doesn't see eye-to-eye with Woofy and the TeamGB promoters have made a decision and chosen one over the other. I do have to wonder if all the hangers on really add value and I would love to know if Rosco asked to take a spare rider once he knew how many support staff would be going to Russia.

Just now, MattK said:

If you're a team manager, then yes I'd say it is attractive, as you can easily do it alongside your day job. It isn't attractive to someone like Phil Morris, as he has a proper job which presumably he couldn't do alongside being FIM Race Director.

As for Rosco, I think he achieved what could have been reasonably expected with the riders at his disposal. Clearly he doesn't see eye-to-eye with Woofy and the TeamGB promoters have made a decision and chosen one over the other. I do have to wonder if all the hangers on really add value and I would love to know if Rosco asked to take a spare rider once he knew how many support staff would be going to Russia.

Really is this job attractive ? if you have other considerations this job is chicken feed we shall see.

11 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Really is this job attractive ? if you have other considerations this job is chicken feed we shall see.

Yes of course it is attractive. As I said, there is no expectation on you to win anything, you get a nice foreign jolly and if you're an egotistical maniac you also get bragging rights among your fellow team managers.

1 minute ago, MattK said:

Yes of course it is attractive. As I said, there is no expectation on you to win anything, you get a nice foreign jolly and if you're an egotistical maniac you also get bragging rights among your fellow team managers.

Total rubbish Matt,       England are expected to go close be competitive to win going by this forum response .  Rossiter's cv stacks up against most managers hence why I don't see Addam's taking the job insteresting to see how it pans out.

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Total rubbish Matt,       England are expected to go close be competitive to win going by this forum response .  Rossiter's cv stacks up against most managers hence why I don't see Addam's taking the job insteresting to see how it pans out.

Be competitive yes, that's not the same as being expected to win.

6 hours ago, Wessex Wanderer said:

How about Phil Morris as next GB manager. Experienced, intelligent and articulate. Not sure if his present GP involvement is far more attractive though. 

:)

I've long been an admirer of Phil for the reasons you've highlighted. Did he not once hold such a position?

On 8/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, bellevueace said:

Just read in the morning paper Alun Rossiter is to announce he is standing down from Team GB later on today despite signing a new two year deal.

Good, his recent BT Sports studio appearance was cringe. He was just so negative with his comments I thought, he really did not fill me with confidence in his ability to lead with enthusiasm and positivity. 

• Like 2