British Speedway Forum

GP Challenge Final (Gorican) - 24/08/19

13 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

In fact he has made it clear that "it's just not worth it" unless he is allowed to Double Up / Down / Sideways and will likely be the only rider ( as a real National Treasure ) who is allowed to double up or get first choice of all and any guest bookings in One Big league ( should it ever come ).

Probably be allowed to guest in NL next season,just to make it pay of course:P

On 8/25/2019 at 3:22 PM, eric i said:

I admit it maybe subjective but no sane person have Aspgren in their top 30. 

Of course not, probably not even top 40. My point is not that is subjective but rather that you cannot put an = between GP-rider and top 15 in the world which some are doing.

• Like 1

Having just watched Challenge on You Tube.Not a bad meeting .Imo.What ever the thoughts on Aspgren as aGP rider ,he certainly was the most unluckiest on the night.The present GP riders showed their class and consistency and deserve to be in Next Year.Harris was on a lawn mower( or couldn’t get the set up:P) Cook showed he just isn't good enough when the going gets tough in tight situations at that level .Imo 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

Makes you laugh, Iversen just 4 points off top 4 and Zagar 6 with a few rounds to go. Yet people whinge they shouldnt be in there . And also , both in the final tonight. Comical. 

One day the shout shout is “I want to see the top 15 in the world race”, next day “give some new blood a chance”. The two are not always, very frequently, the same.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, Mark said:

Mid October when most riders have packed up and gone home ?

Didn't it always used to be after the last GP. 

Also if a rider wanted to go on his holidays before the end of the season he'd soon change his mind if he wanted the opportunity to continue as a GP rider or become one if he wasnt

3 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

If you're a GP rider and doing the qualifiers as your plan B . you'd still be doing your best to get a top 8 place till the end of the final GP as you wouldn't know you already had a place for next season.

they would do that anyway.    sponsors to please and prize money to earn for each GP and final position.     plus personal pride.

Zagar and Neils on Saturday

Edited by Mark

2 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

If you're a GP rider and doing the qualifiers as your plan B . you'd still be doing your best to get a top 8 place till the end of the final GP as you wouldn't know you already had a place for next season.

Didnt see Zagar nor Iversen taking it easy last Saturday in the GP, even though they already in nexts years series. I think pride comes into it. All the GP riders would rather qualify through this years series rather then the Challenge, though that is certainly a tough way to qualify. The likes of Tai didnt have to come back so soon this year, he will get a wild card, but pride makes him ride and get as many points as possible. 

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Didnt see Zagar nor Iversen taking it easy last Saturday in the GP, even though they already in nexts years series. I think pride comes into it. All the GP riders would rather qualify through this years series rather then the Challenge, though that is certainly a tough way to qualify. The likes of Tai didnt have to come back so soon this year, he will get a wild card, but pride makes him ride and get as many points as possible. 

It's funny, but so many people don't take pride into it. I know professional sport is very different to what it was - money is far more important now than it used to be - but for the VERY top figures in sport (particularly individual sport), pride is - and always will be - one of the keys to success.

Steve

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Maybe now that plan B has worked the shackles are off so they're riding with less pressure. They've both been pretty under par all season but all of a sudden they now ride to their ability

I think I agree. But doesn't that support the argument that the Challenge should be after the GP season?

The more current GP riders that take part in the plan B route, the more devalued the Challenge becomes. I know we still get 3 qualifiers from the Challenge, come what may. But we might have to go well down the finishing order to see who that is. And worse still, we won't know who those 3 are, on the night or potentially for many weeks. Surely the Challenge route was set up to provide a focused route for the top three riders to get into the GP series? Not as a safety net for riders in the middle and lower order of the current series.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

I think I agree. But doesn't that support the argument that the Challenge should be after the GP season?

The more current GP riders that take part in the plan B route, the more devalued the Challenge becomes. I know we still get 3 qualifiers from the Challenge, come what may. But we might have to go well down the finishing order to see who that is. And worse still, we won't know who those 3 are, on the night or potentially for many weeks. Surely the Challenge route was set up to provide a focused route for the top three riders to get into the GP series? Not as a safety net for riders in the middle and lower order of the current series.

Surely you want the best riders in the GP series.   If that means 3 from the current GP series comes 1,2,3 in the Challenge then they are showing they are part of the best available.  Other then that you not getting the best in the woeld racing.   Which do you really want????