British Speedway Forum

GP Challenge Final (Gorican) - 24/08/19

10 minutes ago, Losthammer said:

Should current GP riders be allowed to ride in the GP challenge? After all they’re already in it. If they’re good enough they’ll qualify. I think it robs potentially excellent additions from getting a real shot at the GPs.

I totally agree. It seems a nonsense that those performing poorly in the GP can do so with the comfort of knowing that the back door is still ajar. No rider in the GP should be allowed in the GP challenge and should only be allowed in the following year if they cannot qualify on merit in the then current GP campaign. No wonder the sport is not taken seriously. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I totally agree. It seems a nonsense that those performing poorly in the GP can do so with the comfort of knowing that the back door is still ajar. No rider in the GP should be allowed in the GP challenge and should only be allowed in the following year if they cannot qualify on merit in the then current GP campaign. No wonder the sport is not taken seriously. 

But that would give us Thomsen, Aspgren and Loktaev instead of Zagar, Iversen and Doyle. Is that really the way to improve the GP series?

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 5

Of course current GP riders should be allowed in the Challenge. It’s only top 8 in the GPS that are guaranteed a place the next year. It’s up to those riders outside of this years 15 to prove themselves worthy of a spot next year, and that means beating those 9-15. If they can’t do that it means they really in position 16 and downward.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But that would give us Thomsen, Aspgren and Loktaev instead of Zagar, Iversen and Doyle. Is that really the way to improve the GP series?

Cannot be any worse than having the same old faces who are never going to make it. Might just as well have Harris in it and a few others who are well passed the sell by date. Mix it up and put some new names in the frame.  Zagar and Iversen have had the chances and do not deserve the back door route. Doyle is a different issue but in general the whole system is flawed. It needs a revamp to have the greatest number of riders eligible to make to the worlds number one and give hope to new talent no just the slap rans.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Losthammer said:

Should current GP riders be allowed to ride in the GP challenge? After all they’re already in it. If they’re good enough they’ll qualify. I think it robs potentially excellent additions from getting a real shot at the GPs.

IMO no.  Let them sit out a year or as for situations like Tai's there is wild card. 

57 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Well done Max Fricke, great to have some permanent new blood in. Hopefully Robert Lambert can follow suit this time next year. 

Echo those thoughts ...but I can’t believe what I have been reading on the unofficial Belle Vue fans fb page... Some fans complaining that he actually rode in the meeting at all because he missed their 2 league defeats this week .. ...unbelievable 

1 hour ago, Losthammer said:

Iversen isn’t the same rider of a few seasons ago. He doesn’t seem as fast or competitive. Zagar can be brilliant, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule. Nicki would be a good addition again, he’s still doing the business in the leagues, though not as dominant it could be argued.

So you said you don't want Laguta, because he's too aggressive, but you're quite happy to have Pedersen back? Whats the difference with either?

btw I like both riders.

1 hour ago, KEITH M said:

Echo those thoughts ...but I can’t believe what I have been reading on the unofficial Belle Vue fans fb page... Some fans complaining that he actually rode in the meeting at all because he missed their 2 league defeats this week .. ...unbelievable 

Only justified if he relapses and misses the next BV meeting.....

2 hours ago, Losthammer said:

So you dont want the top 16 riders in the GPs then?

• Like 3

Oh yawn Zagar and iversen again. 

Top 16 in the GPs Don’t make me laugh - there are better Polish riders not in the 2020  GP ...... only GB rep might be Woffinden if he gets a wildcard. 

So only the wildcards will make any difference to the line up in 2020. ( other than Max Fricke. 

About time they raced these meetings on proper, regularly used Speedway Tracks . 

Still next weeks GP is on a long track circuit in Germany never used for regular speedway. 

2 hours ago, Losthammer said:

By the same token,Should Bjerre ,Harris and Cook be allowed to enter again they have been there before and would add nothing to the GPS if they qualify.Imo everybody has the right to try and qualify again and if the do fair play to them

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Top 16 in the GPs Don’t make me laugh - there are better Polish riders not in the 2020  GP ...... only GB rep might be Woffinden if he gets a wildcard. 

So only the wildcards will make any difference to the line up in 2020. ( other than Max Fricke. 

About time they raced these meetings on proper, regularly used Speedway Tracks . 

Still next weeks GP is on a long track circuit in Germany never used for regular speedway. 

The only Pole that I can think of that isn't in the series but can definitely be considered as in the top 16 in the World just now is Piotr Pawlicki. Unfortunately the PZM appeared to decided to punish the better riders, like Piotr, for standing up for rider safety earlier in the year, so he didn't get a chance in the qualifiers.

Drabik is probably close to that level as well, but not quite there yet. He also missed out because of the PZM decisions this year.

I've never been convinced that it's a good idea to hold a 1 off meeting to select qualifiers for the GP series, and holding them at rarely used venues that allow for very little racing is definitely a poor choice, so I agree with you there.

However, I think you might be getting a bit confused about the venue for next weeks GP. At 314m, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a long track, and it definitely holds a few speedway meetings every year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Teterow speedway track is definitely NOT a long track circuit. The long track is VERY long and unusual even for a long track in that it has slight hills and right hand bends.  The speedway track is next to it.  All of us get info wrong sometimes, but that comment of yours is so way out.

Go to google maps, type in “Teterow Speedway Germany” and you will see booths tracks.

Edited by OveFundinFan

7 hours ago, HenryW said:

However, I think you might be getting a bit confused about the venue for next weeks GP. At 314m, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a long track, and it definitely holds a few speedway meetings every year.

Indeed . Adam Ellis even won the meeting over the Whitsun Holiday weekend earlier in the season

13 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Winning a meeting with 11 points dont happen everyday. Anyone remember a winning total less than 11?

Hard to imagine, but for an example of a rider winning on 11 without a run-off consider Kasprzak's 2012 GP Challenge victory

5 riders tied on 10, our old friends Zagar and Iversen taking the other two qualifying spots.

and where did this meeting take place?  .. Gorican!