British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

Just now, Grachan said:

Is that Paul Dugard who confronts Cook full on after the shove with the flag marshall? In my opinion, that is the person who was really responsible for this all kicking off.

The flag marshall was in the wrong, in my opinion, alnd walked in Cook's way, but he sensibly walked away after Cook shoved him, so deserves some credit for that. It could have all ended at that point were it not for the confrontation of Cook.

It is Paul Dugard who confronts Cook, but in other footage Martin Dugard is shown to throw a seemingly unprovoked full on headbutt at a Glasgow rider. No doubt, no shoulder barge, just a vicious attempt at a headbutt. Again at a point where things had calmed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

It is Paul Dugard who confronts Cook, but in other footage Martin Dugard is shown to throw a seemingly unprovoked full on headbutt at a Glasgow rider. No doubt, no shoulder barge, just a vicious attempt at a headbutt. Again at a point where things had calmed.

Oh those Dugards!

It was always them in the thick of it when Swindon and Oxford used to have barneys, although I don't remember Paul getting involved back then - more Martin and Bob. Paul always seemed the more sensible one.

I'm just surprised that Paul Dugard isn't still 16 years old!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Is that Paul Dugard who confronts Cook full on after the shove with the flag marshall? In my opinion, that is the person who was really responsible for this all kicking off.

The flag marshall was in the wrong, in my opinion, alnd walked in Cook's way, but he sensibly walked away after Cook shoved him, so deserves some credit for that. It could have all ended at that point were it not for the confrontation of Cook.

Yes it was Paul Dugard and yes he was the one responsible for it escalating further. Cook in the wrong initially but it escalated more because of Dugards actions yes

10 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Thought i was the only one who had seen that

Kind of makes people look like numpties who claimed that what Cook did was a headbutt, when you see what a proper full on attempt at a headbutt looks like

• Thanks 1

I'm sure the Glasgow number 6 is laughing under his helmet when he turns to camera while everyone else is piling on top of each other. :)

• Like 1

Grachan said  " 1. Presenter and Jon Cook try and get the crowd going on the mic (nothing wrong in that) " (my underline and bold)

Completely disagree with you on that point Grachan. Given the situation prior to the presentation with complaints about the track,  however they were intentioned, the comments were unprofessional and inflammatory, targeted at one rider in particular, and given events that followed were the prime cause of this whole sorry affair.

Not the behaviour one would expect from a "co promoter"  of a business. MAybe he was unhappy that the crowd preferred to watch the SpeedwayGP on TV ... which at Wroclaw was 100 times more exciting than any racing you will see at Arlington.

Old Bob, you appear to have a strong grudge, or worse, against Eastbourne, or perhaps just Jon Cook. I can understand the latter more than the former.

I would just like to correct you on a couple of points:

1. It wasn’t Grachan who referred to “1. Presenter and Jon Cook try and get the crowd going on the mic (nothing wrong in that)”, it was Gavan.

However as he wasn’t in attendance, (nor you), he is wrong. The presenter was doing the presentation. As I stated in my early post, the unprofessional comments (in my opinion) before the presentation took place, came from Martin Dugard (no official capacity with Eastbourne Speedway) and Jon Cook, Head of Speedway Operations with Eastbourne Speedway.

2. There was a decent crowd, comparing Wroclaw with Arlington is cheap jibe. The Wroclaw GP was certainly the best I’ve seen this year, and I seriously doubt it will be bettered in the future rounds.

16 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Grachan said  " 1. Presenter and Jon Cook try and get the crowd going on the mic (nothing wrong in that) " (my underline and bold)

Completely disagree with you on that point Grachan. Given the situation prior to the presentation with complaints about the track,  however they were intentioned, the comments were unprofessional and inflammatory, targeted at one rider in particular, and given events that followed were the prime cause of this whole sorry affair.

Not the behaviour one would expect from a "co promoter"  of a business. MAybe he was unhappy that the crowd preferred to watch the SpeedwayGP on TV ... which at Wroclaw was 100 times more exciting than any racing you will see at Arlington.

Disagree, part of what the sport is lacking. Whip up a cracking atmosphere.

Isn't it time the sport realised the 'family sport' tagline doesn't work?

I don't mean all out brawls and violence but simply drop the 'family sport' and concentrate on the thrills, spills, tensions, bit of aggro etc.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I didn't say that. Gavan said it. I just quoted his post.

Personally I've no idea what was said over the mic so have no opinion on it.

8 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I don't mean all out brawls and violence but simply drop the 'family sport' and concentrate on the thrills, spills, tensions, bit of aggro etc.

Best be careful. The snowflakes may melt. 

9 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I said there is nothing wrong in my opinion of the people on the mic getting the crowd going surely thats part of the fun?

I defended Cook in a lot of areas , but if he cant handle a bit of goading over the mic then he is a bit to precious

When i first started going in the early 80's it was paramount to boo the pantomime villan of the other team nothing wrong in that

Cook should have let them and then do his talking on the track rather than storm off during the parade

• Like 1

Apologies Grachan, my mistake.

My opinions stand.

Jon Cook - who  ???.... did he used to be an employee of the promotoer Stuart Douglas at Lakeside Speedway  before joining Eastbourne as a "co promoter"

Anyway suggest you all reasd this weeks Speedway Star for the truth of the matter from Craig Cook.

30 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Sorry i believe that things said over the mic should be said it creates an atmosphere. 

Cooks issue if he cant handle it.......many riders would laugh it off

Are there still people on here calling it a headbutt lol

Watch what Martin Dugard tries on a Glasgow rider (Vissing)

Cook clearly shoulderbarged the marshall...he 100% shouldnt have and will rightly get a fine.............but a headbutt is a comical statement blinkered by people who dislike Cook ( who i have no time for after his shenanigans twice at Ipswich, Barker incident and refusing to race for Glasgow)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gavan said:

Are there still people on here calling it a headbutt lol

Watch what Martin Dugard tries on a Glasgow rider (Vissing)

Cook clearly shoulderbarged the marshall...he 100% shouldnt have and will rightly get a fine.............but a headbutt is a comical statement blinkered by people who dislike Cook ( who i have no time for after his shenanigans twice at Ipswich, Barker incident and refusing to race for Glasgow)

I think if you are there in the crowd it could have looked like a headbutt, but obv isn't.