British Speedway Forum

bandits 2020

33 minutes ago, col69 said:

grow up min and get back to your comics

Lol what a clown you are. Robin should really post all the drivel he gets you to post himself. He must be back to being a speedway lover again for a couple of months at the moment as he’s started posting again. You two are very well matched. 

21 minutes ago, emilali said:

Lol what a clown you are. Robin should really post all the drivel he gets you to post himself. He must be back to being a speedway lover again for a couple of months at the moment as he’s started posting again. You two are very well matched. 

my pal robinis not a clown and does not tell me wot to post on here mmmmmmmm

33 minutes ago, col69 said:

my pal robinis not a clown and does not tell me wot to post on here mmmmmmmm

We both know thats not true. You as a man in his 70’s are his only pal. Thats why he sits in his room at Digby telling you what to post because its the only joy he has. As I said, well matched. 

37 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

So sport won't be back in its entirety, until there is a solution to the current problem? 

Basically. Or until somebody with sufficient influence can persuade (£££) the government otherwise. Any political donors within the sport?

Should league racing be giving the go ahead is there really the appetite from the paying customers to get enough back through the gates to make speedway viable, giving the circumstances we have lived under over the last few months I`m not sure there is. If that is true would clubs would be running meetings at a loss which they have done in the past of course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robinh88 said:

So sport won't be back in its entirety, until there is a solution to the current problem? 

The ultimate solution is a vaccine but until then the sport can potentially be back in some format or other with crowd control being a key factor and complying with social distancing and infection contol measures .. the other thing trialled last night was a new electronic ticketing system that's supposed to allow for social distancing however the gregarious nature of humans is difficult to overcome which was evident in the Black and Gold after the event where social distancing went right out the window despite the best efforts of the bar staff...

Regards 

T HJ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Sorry Colin you have lost me with that comment... do you want to expand on it?

Regards 

THJ 

Does a bear s**t in the woods etc? Surely a given:).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robinh88 said:

or until the government decides to lift the limit on the size of gatherings. The "good" thing about Boris and Co is just because they say something one day it doesn't mean they won't do something entirely different the next. I assume that smaller sports such as lower and non-league football, rugby etc are lobbying to allow at least limited numbers into grounds asap. That's the group that speedway would fall into 

3 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

or until the government decides to lift the limit on the size of gatherings. The "good" thing about Boris and Co is just because they say something one day it doesn't mean they won't do something entirely different the next. I assume that smaller sports such as lower and non-league football, rugby etc are lobbying to allow at least limited numbers into grounds asap. That's the group that speedway would fall into 

I think the problem could be if League Speedway did get the go ahead and a number of Teams committed to it, if the crowd levels were poor at certain venues would they be allowed to withdraw without Penalty.(clubs have been fined in the past) It’s a risk given the current situation.Its not as though most Clubs Could run if only 50% normal crowd turned up without losing money(we all know there is plenty room for normal crowds).Maybe they would be some sort of subsidy from BSPA to help.!

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I think the problem could be if League Speedway did get the go ahead and a number of Teams committed to it, if the crowd levels were poor at certain venues would they be allowed to withdraw without Penalty.(clubs have been fined in the past) It’s a risk given the current situation.Its not as though most Clubs Could run if only 50% normal crowd turned up without losing money(we all know there is plenty room for normal crowds).Maybe they would be some sort of subsidy from BSPA to help.!

I doubt very much the BSPA would have the kind of money needed to subsidise any club who are running at a loss. Should racing be given the go ahead you can bet there will be clubs up and down the Country doing there sums, some may give it a go, some others will go down the Glasgow route and with draw their season to a close deciding to start afresh for next year. There are clubs, Peterborough, Belle Vue, Berwick etc who can cope with several hundred in their stadium and still practice social distancing but there are others Edinburgh, Wolves, Newcastle etc who may not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It's a huge leap I accept. The one thing I would say is that people said "who'll go to pub/a cafe/McDonald's takeaway/Starbucks/hairdressers/barbers etc and once they re-opened enough people managed to overcome their  fears. To be honest anyone who was too afraid to commit to a 10/12 meeting season probably should just put it on ice until 2021.

25 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Honestly 

I very much doubt you will see league speedway this season... reciprocal challenge matches; possibly 4's and individuals but I think any type of league format will be very difficult...

You are correct when you state there could be fines for not completing fixtures; so another reason not to run in a league in the very short time left to complete a structured season...

On BSPA subsidy support there will be no chance as they don't have the funds to subsidise themselves let alone clubs...

Regards 

THJ

3 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

I very much doubt you will see league speedway this season... reciprocal challenge matches; possibly 4's and individuals but I think any type of league format will be very difficult...

You are correct when you state there could be fines for not completing fixtures; so another reason not to run in a league in the very short time left to complete a structured season...

On BSPA subsidy support there will be no chance as they don't have the funds to subsidise themselves let alone clubs...

Regards 

THJ

I personally think it would have to be meaningful matches(league)to tempt a lot of fans in sufficient numbers.

Cant see that happening,(happy if proved wrong)

Fans don’t seem to turn up for meaningless meetings in the last couple of decades, better things to do with their money I reckon.

• Like 1

With all the various rules surrounding getting a stadium ready for fans, then will enough fans turn up to make it viable, will teams have a full set of riders willing to race for maybe a couple of months, will any potential sponsors have any money left to spend on helping speedway run ? All these very big questions, and the answer will only come if they decide to run, but if no one turns up and money does not come thro, clubs are running at a far higher loss than normal !!.

So imo it would be best to forget about speedway in 2020, and focus on 2021  with the same teams

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Neila said:

With all the various rules surrounding getting a stadium ready for fans, then will enough fans turn up to make it viable, will teams have a full set of riders willing to race for maybe a couple of months, will any potential sponsors have any money left to spend on helping speedway run ? All these very big questions, and the answer will only come if they decide to run, but if no one turns up and money does not come thro, clubs are running at a far higher loss than normal !!.

So imo it would be best to forget about speedway in 2020, and focus on 2021  with the same teams

That would seem sensible to me given the fragility of the Sport nowadays.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I personally think it would have to be meaningful matches(league)to tempt a lot of fans in sufficient numbers.

Cant see that happening,(happy if proved wrong)

Fans don’t seem to turn up for meaningless meetings in the last couple of decades, better things to do with their money I reckon.

Dunno about meaningless... seen many an entertaining Tyne/Tweed or Tweed//Tees Trophy season opener and although these can be classed as meaningless pre-season warm up matches the guys still have to race to get paid...

Also seen many a good individual meeting at Berwick and the last U21 meeting held there was really entertaining but at the end of the day you pay your money or not on what you wish to spend it on...

The last 4's I seen up there was unfortunately in 1979 and had Tom Owen Rod Hunter Graeme Stapleton and Neil Coddinton in for Newcastle with Roger Wright Steve McDermott Graham Jones and Nigel Close representing Berwick... Berwick won the regional 4's that year...

The latest government release advised mid October before stadia can open up so even if the season was extended to November what league could you run in 6/7 weeks... if 12 teams run 4 leagues of three a semi final and final... along the lines of the old season opening competition the premier trophy that a great deal of people didn't like..

As Neila states above there is an awful lot of risks to consider however the Berwick promotion must receive some credit for exploring all the options in how viable it would or could prove to be in running meetings in any remaining time available... 

The other thing is how many fans might be dragged in from other regions if Berwick were say only one of two three or four clubs to get a Covid Cup type challenge match run... there are fans in other areas desperate to see some speedway...

My honest opinion is we are flogging a dead horse but it's good to talk...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn