British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn vs Peterborough. Thursday July 25th

3 hours ago, Haza said:

That’s sums up the exact reason we stopped going for the two of us with travel cost it was £45 - £50 a meeting we used to walk to the car after the meeting and most meetings we asked why did we attend neither of us enjoyed most meetings so we stopped going that was 2 years ago and to be honest we’ve not missed it in the slightest- Now we get home from work have a meal watch tv and relax rather than rushing home from work chasing to Kings Lynn to pay out on something we for most part we wasn’t enjoying . 

Very much the same for me although I go from time to time ( once so far this season ). So little VFM, so few races worthy of the name. Long drawn-out process with too much paint drying time. Was going tonight but my friend from Peterborough decided that the heat would not make the journey nor the racing worthwhile ( in fact from near Kettering ). So sunned off! He is coming for a playoff match - if of course.......like so many I do not miss it much when I do not attend. Thursday usually means Swedish speedway and with them not having a heatwave, it might be worth watching. When you think I retired to KL in 2002 mostly because I would be near a speedway track, the lustre has definitely worn off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Haza said:

That’s sums up the exact reason we stopped going for the two of us with travel cost it was £45 - £50 a meeting we used to walk to the car after the meeting and most meetings we asked why did we attend neither of us enjoyed most meetings so we stopped going that was 2 years ago and to be honest we’ve not missed it in the slightest- Now we get home from work have a meal watch tv and relax rather than rushing home from work chasing to Kings Lynn to pay out on something we for most part we wasn’t enjoying . 

Same here. Now I'm retired we have to watch costs, and living south of Norwich the total cost for myself and my wife, with fuel, admission and a couple of programmes is £60 per meeting. I can't say the racing was very entertaining on our last few visits, so we stopped going, as we felt it was poor value for that amount of money for us.  I still class myself as a fan, and follow everything that goes on, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to motivate myself to do that 100 mile round trip. I don't know if its just us, or if other fans feel the same way?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bunce said:

Same here. Now I'm retired we have to watch costs, and living south of Norwich the total cost for myself and my wife, with fuel, admission and a couple of programmes is £60 per meeting. I can't say the racing was very entertaining on our last few visits, so we stopped going, as we felt it was poor value for that amount of money for us.  I still class myself as a fan, and follow everything that goes on, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to motivate myself to do that 100 mile round trip. I don't know if its just us, or if other fans feel the same way?

There's a real link running through several of the most recent posts isn't there..?

The Sport really doesn't need to (forlornly as it works out) chase new fans.

It just needs to get back those who gradually became completely disillusioned with it, and disengaged by it..

I would suggest if would more than double it's current weekly average such are the amount of people who have stopped attending in the past ten years or so but still keep 'in touch' with it..

A strange business decision isn't it to completly ignore those who still feel a connection to you, and decide not to make the changes to your operation that they highlight as being inherently flawed..?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bunce said:

I can understand exactly what you are saying. I have been to one meeting in the last two years, having been a regular attender (including a number of away visits), for many years. I first started going to speedway in the early sixties at the Firs, but that's another story. There are a lot of reasons why i no longer go with the value for money aspect being one of them. I was finding it increasingly difficult to continue an empathy with the team and the riders with things like doubling up, guests, ever increasing rider replacement being so prevalent. British speedway seems to be at the bottom of the importance list for most riders,. i.e. the fourth division. I find it very difficult to get excited about it although I do still monitor what goes on. Also, what other sport would allow one person to own three of the seven clubs in the top league? Absolutely ridiculous!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bunce said:

Same for me, moved out to The Broads and now can’t really be assed to take the 3 hour round trip to watch the ‘entertainment’ on offer.  There was a time I would have gone watched every week without fail.

Times and attitudes change.

• Like 1

Can't for the life of me work out why ' fans '(?) who haven't been to a meeting in two years are actually on this forum?

It appears Kings Lynn have more of them than anybody.

whilst I fully understand the lack of interest if you are unfortunate enough to live near a track that doesn't provide value for money or even decent racing but why constantly go on this forum? Especially after two years???

I no longer have a local track so travel to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick , Belle Vue and Redcar to get my fix and whilst one or two of these tracks do not provide great racing week in , week out, I still have the desire so pick and choose which fixtures to attend and therefore get my ' value for money ' fix.

If you don't go to meetings, there'll be no meetings !

Ask Workington fans!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bunce said:

No definitely no just you our round trip is 40 miles  - I no several fans  that have stopped going for various reason cost being one long drawn out meetings being another when working the next day poor value for money is another gate and go racing , we watch on tv and from what I’ve seen it certainly doesn’t make us want to return apart from the Belle Vue meetings on tv the rest have been a bore fest . 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Can't for the life of me work out why ' fans '(?) who haven't been to a meeting in two years are actually on this forum?

whilst I fully understand the lack of interest if you are unfortunate enough to live near a track that doesn't provide value for money or even decent racing but why constantly go on this forum? Especially after two years???

I no longer have a local track so travel to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick , Belle Vue and Redcar to get my fix and whilst one or two of these tracks do not provide great racing week in , week out, I still have the desire so pick and choose which fixtures to attend and therefore get my ' value for money ' fix.

Ask Workington fans!!!

I follow what goes on at the club and in speedway in general what is wrong with that ? I’m not saying I will never go again it’s just not for me at the moment . 

1 minute ago, Haza said:

I follow what goes on at the club and in speedway in general what is wrong with that ? I’m not saying I will never go again it’s just not for me at the moment . 

Then how can you comment on meetings you've never been to?

How do you know how good/ bad things are?

Its fine following the sport via the Internet but that only gives you a biased opinion of what's happened, either by the author or the club that releases it. As can be seen on here regularly everybody sees things differently , some like what they see, some don't .

People on here moaning and haven't been to a meeting for 2 years for gods sake.

41 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Ask Workington fans!!!

I stopped going to Lynn several years ago, for similar reasons to others on here. I did occasional away meetings for a couple of years after that. I still read Lynn threads, not as religiously as before, simply because you can't break the habit of interest that has lasted for 50+ years.

I'm sorry but the use it or lose it argument carries no weight with me anymore. I prefer the give fans what they want and they will come argument. Think hell will freeze over before that happens.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Its fine following the sport via the Internet but that only gives you a biased opinion of what's happened, either by the author or the club that releases it. As can be seen on here regularly everybody sees things differently , some like what they see, some don't .

People moan because they care, it’s possible to still love the sport and your club without being willing / able to go any more. £18 is an awful lot of money for two or three races out of fifteen, especially if it involves a long drive or rushing around after work. 

And it’s perfectly possible to know what a meeting was like without being there, plenty of ways to know how good or bad it was. As SL says the ‘use it or lose it’ line can only really be used if the person running the show is doing absolutely everything in their power to make the product attractive and customers feel valued. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You can get 2 people who go to the same meeting who will see it completely different.  

Its not a definitive science.  Different strokes for different folks.

There are people who post on here who give an honest appraisal of a meeting.  What’s wrong with forming an opinion based on that ?

Edited by semion

4 minutes ago, semion said:

You can get 2 people who go to the same meeting who will see it completely different.  

Its not a definitive science.  Different strokes for different folks.

There are people who post on here who give an honest appraisal of a meeting.  What’s wrong with forming an opinion based on that ?

Nothing, as long as they were at the meeting to form their own opinion. These people haven't been to a meeting in years by their own admission yet still think they have a valid opinion on what's happening now. 

Its their choice not to go, that's fine, but I've lost my local track because of ' non-attenders' who all went years ago and still feel free to slag the sport and then bemoan the state of the sport and the fact tracks are closing.

Ludicrous!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

I’m not commenting on meetings I’ve never been to as far as I no ??? Can only go by what I read and friend that still attends - I’ve seen the BT meetings and the Kings Lynn v Poole (think it was Poole)  on BT which I didn’t see the end off because I was bored stiff - promotions should maybe take more notice of fans reasons why they stopped attending don’t you think ? And try to sort the problem out - these who attend in all honesty they don’t really matter as you I guess hand over your money and see no wrong - it’s more about getting new fans and existing fans back don’t you think ? 

41 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

People moan because they care, it’s possible to still love the sport and your club without being willing / able to go any more. £18 is an awful lot of money for two or three races out of fifteen, especially if it involves a long drive or rushing around after work. 

And it’s perfectly possible to know what a meeting was like without being there, plenty of ways to know how good or bad it was. As SL says the ‘use it or lose it’ line can only really be used if the person running the show is doing absolutely everything in their power to make the product attractive and customers feel valued. 

Absolutely spot on - id have thought the way to stop the massive decline  in the sport would be to listen to fans that have walked away - those who still go are almost turkeys at Christmas- lol - and yes I do care about the club it’s been a massive part of my life and I’d never have thought I’d walk away from it - but does anyone of the promotion care ? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

Absolutely spot on - id have thought the way to stop the massive decline  in the sport would be to listen to fans that have walked away - those who still go are almost turkeys at Christmas- lol - and yes I do care about the club it’s been a massive part of my life and I’d never have thought I’d walk away from it - but does anyone of the promotion care ? 

Not the case at all.

I have assisted on promotional events promoting speedway and offering free tickets. The number of ' former fans ' who turned them down was phonominal but new ' fans ' took them and 65% of those actualy attended the next meeting. 

The older generation are now like you, too sceptical and want £5 admission, free programme and want to see world champions every week. The sport needs new fans , with their children and listen to them about what they liked or did not like. The old brigade who no longer attend are three time as hard to get back so concentrate on new and hope for the future.

The comments on here tell you why they don't want to come back, because they went to a bad meeting years ago and now don't have the habit anymore!

There are good promoters and good clubs out there,, Belle Vue, Ipswich, Berwick, Glasgow, and Redcar to name a few, read their threads, their fans appear to be very content with their lot.

• Haha 1