British Speedway Forum

TV new deal?

20 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FROM what I hear a magazine-style highlights programme is being discussed and would be a great addition to the actual TV coverage

Good news if it happens..

A chance to create a few 'characters' and maybe get some riders profiles increased which can be used as 'drawcards' going forward..

There are a good few exciting riders who ply their trade in the UK so showing their races weekly can only be good for the sport overall..

And the NSS, Peterborough, Somerset, Scunthorpe and Swindon in particular (there may be more), seem to deliver plenty of good racing most weeks so there shouldn't be any shortage of footage to showcase the sport in a good, positive light...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WOULD be nice if it was studio based with guests including riders, promoters, etc.

Always looks good in Poland when they do the same with their two channels who cover the top league....

Cant understand a word of it mind...:D

2 minutes ago, bruno said:

Funny but when I watch Polish speedway i always have to have the sound on even though I have no idea what their on about. Lol

What is the Polish for dirtometer?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bruno said:

Funny but when I watch Polish speedway i always have to have the sound on even though I have no idea what their on about. Lol

They kept mentioning 'Droogy" every race which made me have all sorts of thoughts...

Seemingly its 'druga' and it means 'second'..  :D

6 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Srubokret ?:)

Now let's have it right...

The Dude would be proud of me!
Edited by False dawn
  • Haha 2

I don't understand why riders who race in Poland every year don't learn the language. Is it too difficult? I notice riders like Emil, Zagar, Vaculik, Milik etc all speak Polish when being interviewed...Do the Slavic countries have a similar language?

I feel sorry for the little bald Polish guy who chats to a Brit, Aussie, Dane or Swede and has to interpret it all back to the viewer, while the riders' hanging around looking bored!

15 minutes ago, Terry said:

I don't understand why riders who race in Poland every year don't learn the language. Is it too difficult? I notice riders like Emil, Zagar, Vaculik, Milik etc all speak Polish when being interviewed...Do the Slavic countries have a similar language?

I feel sorry for the little bald Polish guy who chats to a Brit, Aussie, Dane or Swede and has to interpret it all back to the viewer, while the riders' hanging around looking bored!

Woffinden speaks some Polish does he not?

27 minutes ago, Icicle said:

1. Brits are riotously bad at learning other languages ,there seems to be an arrogance that everyone else can speak English. 

2. Slavic languages(ie Polish, Czech, Russian ) similar. NOT Estonian, Finnish, German ... 

I was speaking to a Polish colleague about that and how they all seem to speak such good English while we struggle with other Languages.

He put it down to the fact that they are exposed to English constantly from an early age in the form of films and popular music so it was easier for them to learn whereas we are not exposed to to foreign languages in mainstream media or entertainment.

• Like 2

Just now, AFCB Wildcat said:

I was speaking to a Polish colleague about that and how they all seem to speak such good English while we struggle with other Languages.

He put it down to the fact that they are exposed to English constantly from an early age in the form of films and popular music so it was easier for them to learn whereas we are not exposed to to foreign languages in mainstream media or entertainment.

That does help...also Polish is difficult..Brits panic at so many "Z"s and "sh(SZ) & ch(CZ) sounds

8 minutes ago, Icicle said:

That does help...also Polish is difficult..Brits panic at so many "Z"s and "sh(SZ) & ch(CZ) sounds

I've been trying very hard to learn Spanish as I spend a lot of time in the Canaries and think it's rude not to make an effort.  I can make myself understood and can understand a lot of written Spanish but when they speak back to me 19 to the dozen I'm totally out of my depth at the moment!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icicle said:

I did see one poster from the recent polish elections have an English word boldly displayed in it .    selfie !!!:D No idea why that would be important for a political campaign though