British Speedway Forum

Tai / Rosco - Team GB 2020

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Why is it appalling, it would not bother me if he does all good and well and good luck to him  but he is not doing us any favours.Also when is the last time he rode in a Benevolent fund meeting to show case his talent.?

YOU could make that argument against several riders

19 hours ago, RPNY said:

For all his Passion etc Rosco clearly is not the man for the job. Anyone saying he's done great and over achieved as GB manager are simply lying to themselves. Tai scored over 60% of our points when we came 2nd in 2016 and only dropped a point in 2 days last year. Zero to do with anything Rosco did.  And its not a dig at Rosco it just is what it is.

Bomber being selected this week was clearly a bad choice and really quite sad. He's a 2nd tier heat leader now, that's it. To see a rider so loved by British speedway fans trailing half a lap behind was really sad to see. Again for all his passion and being a good servant to British Speedway and all the usual caveats that come with these situations, he simply isnt good enough for this level and hasn't been for the best part of 5 years now. Cookie going after his performance at the same track in the GP Challenge is understandable, but even tho Im a big fan of his, it seems he just can't cut the mustard at this level. Watching the Danish U21 lad leave us for dead was just about the final straw yesterday. How can we never find the right set up?

So in short, they do need to listen to what Tai (and Lambert) have to say and move on. No team win since 1989 and the only individual success coming from a lad who learnt it all in Aus and any future success resting with a lad who had a big part of his learning curve in Germany is very indicative of just how bad the GB set up is these days

From the outside, Rosco comes across as little more than a tourist on these trips, and the twitter selfies at the venue, on the plane etc., only underline that perception. I understand Woffinden's frustration, he demands the best from himself and those around him. Ivan Mauger was no different. 

Rosco-Woffinden will never, ever work. It is like Ian Holloway managing Cristiano Ronaldo. There are thin pickings around, but if I was to choose someone, it would be Peter Adams - if he had the appetite. He's ticking on, but he's the only one who has the gravitas, experience and record to do the type of job we would all like to be done by the GB team manager. 

Is there actually any need for a manager, they seem to have analysts who are surely capable of picking a squad, deciding when best to take a rider out of race etc. Or get rid of the analyst and have a manager who's capable of working things out for himself? Don't mind Rosco myself but it seems as though he has people doing everything for him which is completely pointless, it's hardly a complicated job which requires a tactical genius.

On another note we keep hearing about how professional things will be but a quick look at the 'GB Speedway Team' website and it doesn't even have a mention of the weekend. No preview, no result given, you wouldn't even know the meeting had happened!

I wonder if Bomber caught any of the balls in the pre-meeting catch session... I'm picturing balls hitting him in the face and flying everywhere and him keep falling over his skipping rope :rofl:

15 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU could make that argument against several riders

What about and  also  not riding in the uk final not riding in there own league and also missing a world cup to go on holiday . look forward to hearing the other names 

3 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

When in the past has the World Champion snubbed riding in their own domestic league? Genuine question. 

any American or Aussie ?  Have they a league.   Hancock doesn't go home to ride in our winter..

Is the question relevant as Tai misses GB racing because there is no money and in his view the tracks are crap.     probably right on both points

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

any American or Aussie ?  Have they a league.   Hancock doesn't go home to ride in our winter..

Is the question relevant as Tai misses GB racing because there is no money and in his view the tracks are crap.     probably right on both points

No Aussie and American league  ..so the question still stands 

11 minutes ago, orion said:

No Aussie and American league  ..so the question still stands 

It's not a relevant question and said why.  Cant understand why so many have a dig at Woffinden. You might be one small part of his mind set. 

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

It's not a relevant question and said why.  Cant understand why so many have a dig at Woffinden. You might be one small part of his mind set. 

it's a relevant question and the answer is Tai ..He puts little back into uk speedway when he could have  done so much . it's pretty easy to see  why people have a dig at him 

20 hours ago, James Carter said:

You'd have to be a certified half wit not to build the GB set up around TW. 

Just put to one side the fact that you might not like what he says, what he looks like or where he rides and just accept that in this moment GB can only be successful with TW at the top of his game. 

Can he produce world class riders out of thin  air? he is not a messiah.Yes his experience would be invaluable and thing's could be better but for me we are as a nation what we are.Neil Vatcher and his team are doing great thing's  in there jobs and some of the kids are looking. really promising. But the problems that are deeply engrained in British speedway wont change overnight by just bringing Wofffinden on board there is a bigger picture.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, orion said:

it's a relevant question and the answer is Tai ..He puts little back into uk speedway when he could have  done so much . it's pretty easy to see  why people have a dig at him 

At least he is honest unlike Hancock who took time off the SWC a couple of years ago with the lame excuse he wanted to give the kids a chance. 

I can not believe people think Rosco should stay.  Nice guy I am sure, but he makes dubious tactical choices, questionable rider selections and his motivational skills are not immediately obvious... not to mention the utter negativity/paranoia of those interviews at the weekend.

14 hours ago, Mark said:

They don't have leagues.  It is a highly relevant question and is about supporting British Speedway - Nicki P has always ridden in the Danish league (I think but don't know for certain, hence the question) but the tracks there are no better than the UK and the level of racing quite low.  If, as you mention, the true answer is simply money, then why does Jason Doyle continue to ride here and would Tai then really he be the right person to help develop the sport in this country if the role came without seeing a large wedge in his own pocket?

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Can he produce world class riders out of thin  air? he is not a messiah.Yes his experience would be invaluable and thing's could be better but for me we are as a nation what we are.Neil Vatcher and his team are doing great thing's  in there jobs and some of the kids are looking. really promising. But the problems that are deeply engrained in British speedway wont change overnight by just bringing Wofffinden on board there is a bigger picture.

I'm purely looking at he GB set up for the major meetings.

Tai doesn't need to pull world class riders out if thin air. He needs to motivate and assist what is already there namely Lambert & Beweley. 

Peter Ljung was the highest scoring number 2 rider over 2 days of racing. He's hardly world class. If Lambert could target 7-8-9 points in the SON each day and Woffinden do the rest then GB could easily be making the tapes in heat 22 & 23 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

They don't have leagues.  It is a highly relevant question and is about supporting British Speedway - Nicki P has always ridden in the Danish league (I think but don't know for certain, hence the question) but the tracks there are no better than the UK and the level of racing quite low.  If, as you mention, the true answer is simply money, then why does Jason Doyle continue to ride here and would Tai then really he be the right person to help develop the sport in this country if the role came without seeing a large wedge in his own pocket?

How many GP riders ride in the UK bar Doyle who lives in the UK ?