British Speedway Forum

Brandon Update

On 5/17/2022 at 6:28 AM, heathen52 said:

Exactly what happened to Cradley, albeit the local authority did NOT give planning permission but the developers appealed (which is yet another string to there bow) and won, there is nothing further that can be done you cant appeal against the appeal decision so there is usually only going to be one winner, and its mostly the one with deepest pockets.

100% 

On 5/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, Daniel Smith said:

Brandon Estates are hell bend on housing. 

They clearly get to see everything the Coventry Speedway group are planning, so what better to destroy the stadium revamp? Burn it down

Echos of what happened at Long Eaton.  A mysterious fire burned the empty pub next to the Station Road car park down, and then another mysterious fire burned the empty stadium pavilion down not long after (or may have been other way around)..... but yes, two mysterious fires left the way clear for the developers to build on it.  I had hoped as the decades past the truth might have surfaced on that!

Edited by TheReturn

22 hours ago, ch958 said:

as long as the track is there fans would be ok with some shelter - doesn't need to be the palace it was a la Redcar, Somerset, Scunny, Worky, etc

agree as long as you got speedway up and running you can build on that 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few strategic wildlife remote/sensor cameras might help the Save Coventry Speedway Group with a way forward.

Councils use them to catch fly tippers so why cant the group or even the police if it is a suspected target for arson.

Edited by IronScorpion

18 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

A few strategic wildlife remote/sensor cameras might help the Save Coventry Speedway Group with a way forward.

Councils use them to catch fly tippers so why cant the group or even the police if it is a suspected target for arson.

Because it's not their property... it's like you coming round my house and putting cameras up... I know you like to follow me but I'd draw the line at that:lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SpeedwayTShirts said:

Popped into Brandon last week on the way down to Oxford. Quick video of how things are now. Massive flyover now on TGI roundabout which was a shock……

Coventry Speedway June 2022

Good grief...can't see much hope there if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, SpeedwayTShirts said:

It’s where all the trees and bushes have grown that surprises me. I guess when the stadium was in use they used to not grow because of the footfall of people walking over the areas? 

Yes the size of trees growing out of terraces struck me too. 

I've seen that on those Abandoned Engineering programmes as well. Trees growing though the floors of abandoned buildings where you wouldn't expect them to be able to grow. It's amazing how nature takes hold again when humans aren't there.

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

Really? It doesn't seem any worse than Oxford was a while ago?

I used to call in at Cowley and although shocked by the deteriation it was nowhere near the level of Brandon. It was still structurally sound.

Thanks for posting the video, The Grandstand is to far gone now, not much work to bring the Pits back to life, the far side stand would be the main stand maybe with the starting gate over on that side, without seeing inside its difficult to gauge what other buildings could be saved from demolition, but I personally cant see the landowners selling this for Sports use, especially if they have paid development prices for it, RIP Brandon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Thanks for posting the video, The Grandstand is to far gone now, not much work to bring the Pits back to life, the far side stand would be the main stand maybe with the starting gate over on that side, without seeing inside its difficult to gauge what other buildings could be saved from demolition, but I personally cant see the landowners selling this for Sports use, especially if they have paid development prices for it, RIP Brandon.

I believe the land was bought for less than 3 Million. Hardly a development price, and I'm also led to believe that the site was never actually put on the open market!

They have been offered a substantial profit by those interested in bringing Stock Car & Speedway back to the stadium, but as yet have not even acknowledged the offer.

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 1