British Speedway Forum

PSC • Swindon Robins v Poole Pirates • 18/04

21 minutes ago, ZagarRacing said:

Poole won’t have a better chance to beat Swindon at Blunsdon.

* No home track advantage

* Low scoring reserves 

* Poole supporting Referee 

The Robins have low scoring reserve because of the strong top 4

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Poole manage to somehow throw away a winning position and scrape a draw.... and a mate of mine who is actually been working in Bristol went to the meeting (Eastbourne fan) and said that the decision to exclude Doyle was farcical ( I wasn’t there just saying)

Swindon’s issues are clearly the bottom 3 riders although the exclusion of Doyle cost them the win.

For Poole it’s quite clear Jack Holder isn’t a number one and Worrall isn’t cutting it at all at the moment. Klindt had his first poor meeting so can be forgiven that and Brady saw the meeting out better.

Pooles reserves will always keep them in meetings .... that is until they come up against Heeps and Allen at the top of the league Witches 

13 from 5 away from a 7 point rider is bloody excellent :blink: I know you mean he didn't bottle it, but he deserves a bit more credit than that imho.

Edited by Bald Bloke

A promising start for the new track, which livened up considerably around mid-meeting.

Has to go down as a missed opportunity for the away team given the amount of points dropped by the home team and the bending of the rules by including an 8th man in their line up. Is this a new rule introduced in the PSC?

Disappointed with Covatti. He clearly dived to get Doyle thrown out in heat 14 after making the mistake of trying to go round him on bend 1, however, Robinson obviously had a dabble on the Pirates in the match betting. Absolute shocker Robbo. 

2, 6 and 7 for the Robins were disappointing, although, Dave Leopard showed some signs that he might be ok at home with a few more meetings under his belt. Reserves have started slowly, particularly Zak, and both need to find gating gloves and some speed.

Kurtz excellent as always and the Poole reserves had a field day.

Just got back. Ended up a good meeting but with this format, it suits teams with top heavy built sides and not sides built with strength in depth. No t/r or reserve changes meant Poole couldn’t take advantage of bringing in a scoring reserve for the struggling Worrall or Klindt. If they had Pirates would have come away with the victory.

Poole were clearly the better of the two teams with balance. Swindon relying on Doyle and Batchelor backed up with Musiliak.

The track settled quickly and Kurtz enjoyed the place, taking the track record, which won’t last long.

Doyle was untouchable and a class above, until he had a rush of blood and knocked off Covatti who was attempting to go around him. Ref called it spot on, though I have seen such calls favour the number one.

The way the format works is the old 70’s/80’s 13 heat format, meaning they had 1 and 3 in heats 12 and 13. Then they won the toss in heat 14 and chose 1 and 3 again. Gave them the best gates in 3 of the last 4 races. Why not have it even for both teams? Two 1 and 3 for each team in the last 4 heats?

In heat 15 Ellis should have been excluded as both his wheel crossed the line off bend two second lap, when coming up the inside of Klindt. Ref would have not have spotted it but many on the back straight did. 

Poole’s reserves in another league to Swindons.

Another point. With the nominated heat 14, managers have to be savvy. They pick four riders and the fans vote. Middlo said Kurtz, then Rosco chose Doyle, then Middlo chosen] the next rider etc. Fans voting always vote for the top rider. Kurtz ride was instantly neutralised in heat 14 when Rosco announced Doyle. (Though we got away with it) Better for Middlo not to chose Kurtz in the 4 and save him for heat 15, so avoiding the oppositions likely number 1.

For a change a good meeting at Swindon. When the track settles it should get even better.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just got back. Ended up a good meeting but with this format, it suits teams with top heavy built sides and not sides built with strength in depth. No t/r or reserve changes meant Poole couldn’t take advantage of bringing in a scoring reserve for the struggling Worrall or Klindt. If they had Pirates would have come away with the victory.

Poole were clearly the better of the two teams with balance. Swindon relying on Doyle and Batchelor backed up with Musiliak.

The track settled quickly and Kurtz enjoyed the place, taking the track record, which won’t last long.

Doyle was untouchable and a class above, until he had a rush of blood and knocked off Covatti who was attempting to go around him. Ref called it spot on, though I have seen such calls favour the number one.

In heat 15 Ellis should have been excluded as both his wheel crossed the line off bend two second lap, when coming up the inside of Klindt. Ref would have not have spotted it but many on the back straight did. 

Poole’s reserves in another league to Swindons.

For a change a good meeting at Swindon. When the track settles it should get even better.

Nice biased review 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

And a lifelong Reading supporter and resident unless i'm very much mistaken.  Even tho we're not around in same way i very much doubt he follows another team.

He was Armando Castagna’s mechanic for a while at Reading (I think).

Good news on the new track - to be fair it can’t have been any worse than the old one!

• Like 1

The track bedded in well  but there was no racing to speak of until the last 5 heats, with the last few being very good.

Was a very sizeable crowd so I was shocked how little atmosphere or noise there was from the terraces.

Also the website says if you pre book your tickets you get a free programme, then you buy your online ticket and it says on the ticket does not include programme..... plenty of annoyed people with that one.

Once I finally got my programme I found the centre fold was from the Belle Vue vs Wolves match  how the hell did that end up in a Swindon programme.

I ve seen quite a few comments from Swindons fans saying how good the meeting is was..... if that was a good top flight meeting I think I ll just stick to NL and GPs.