British Speedway Forum

Glasgow v Berwick April 12th

4 hours ago, Paulco said:

Cracking day for it 

if only people were aware  of this meeting . nothing on the updates site and the speedway forum is a bit quiet regarding this meeting .

is it a Gentle mans meeting , only those in the select club are to be allowed in via the back door..  .i , like many others just want to follow the meeting on the updates site .

NOT looking for grief , just some more info please .

Not jealous because i much prefer competitive racing than my team win give me a 46-44 all day . So my question is it not boring having craig cook in your team tootling round in front unchallenged for 33% of tonight's total heats ? seems a bit boring and pointless to me ?  maybe i am wrong and its really entertaining for the masses just not me .

24 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Not jealous because i much prefer competitive racing than my team win give me a 46-44 all day . So my question is it not boring having craig cook in your team tootling round in front unchallenged for 33% of tonight's total heats ? seems a bit boring and pointless to me ?  maybe i am wrong and its really entertaining for the masses just not me .

I left tonight feeling thoroughly entertained and Cookie contributed to that. Some wonderful racing and apart from the crash after heat 14, a great evenings entertainment.

• Like 2

Superb opening meeting for the Tiggers, big crowd, 15 minute queues to get in and some decent racing. Mid April racing is so much better than March. Berwick started off well, were sharp from the gate but seemed to fade from ht 8 onwards. Garcia was never the same after a fall in his second and Flint wasnt really in the hunt.

Jensen was immense on his home debut as was Bickley, after years of trying we may actually have riders who can use the inside line to good effect. With Sarjeant only having 1 starting offence it was a decent night, the downside being Etheridge taking a flyer into the fence at the end of ht14 when his throttle seemed to be stuck open. Hopefully he is ok, onward to Berwick tomorrow.

Like other Tigers fans am a bit worried about this match. People forget that Aaron was brilliant for the Tigers apart from the season he picked a Polish based engine tuner and remember he's a former track record holder. The only thing coty lacked was reliable good equipment, when he was on it he was superb. The others have all had decent performances and if they pop out the gate who knows. As others have said they've had competitive action and we've had individual meetings or just practise. Everyone seems to have forgotten cookie is coming back from injury and no one knows how he'll do and luke hasn't ridden competively for a while again due to injury. Hate to say it but can see us losing particularly if we have bike and tapes problems 

Fantastic meeting , the Bandits were sharp out the gate for the first few heats, but the tiggers soon found their feet , best racing I have seen there for a long time. Wasn't as easy as the scoreline suggests. Was impressed with young Bickley. Hope it is as entertaining tomorrow night in Bandit country.

Just now, SharpenRake said:

Like other Tigers fans am a bit worried about this match. People forget that Aaron was brilliant for the Tigers apart from the season he picked a Polish based engine tuner and remember he's a former track record holder. The only thing coty lacked was reliable good equipment, when he was on it he was superb. The others have all had decent performances and if they pop out the gate who knows. As others have said they've had competitive action and we've had individual meetings or just practise. Everyone seems to have forgotten cookie is coming back from injury and no one knows how he'll do and luke hasn't ridden competively for a while again due to injury. Hate to say it but can see us losing particularly if we have bike and tapes problems 

Glad to admit I was wrong. Excellent result. 

• Like 2

Cracking meeting to start the season, the racing was just great to watch with passing and repassing in nearly every heat. After a tight start and the Bandits well in it we just seemed to click and we went up a gear and looked very powerful , you were actually hoping we missed the gate as we were picking the Bandits of outside and inside with ease, for us everyone bar Chessell looked good Jensen in particular whilst Cook was just a joy to watch.

The Bandits cannot be to despondent as they were well in it until heat 7, they are a decent team capable of doing to us what we done to them  at Berwick tomorrow but all in all if that is what we get served up as far as the racing goes we are in for a treat  

• Like 2

A terrific meeting. Bickley and Sarge  did fantastically well. A great advert for Speedway and awesome to see so many paying  customers in attendence.

But  I'm going to stick my neck out and say we are going to get beat tomorrow night. The racing was tight and I think home advantage will swing it for Berwick. The only downside was Etheridges injury and we all hope he is fine.

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Bandits were better then the score suggests some very close and great racing,100% for effort to Bandits riders Glasgow were  just better on the night.Jye took a nasty thump into the fence with a sudden stop .Hope is not too badly hurt.

He seemed to pick up speed after the race was finished  it was suggested his throttle jammed open looked a nasty one best wishes to the lad.

15 hours ago, Gazc said:

He seemed to pick up speed after the race was finished  it was suggested his throttle jammed open looked a nasty one best wishes to the lad.

I was standing at the first bend,don’t think his throttle jammed think because he raced Starke right over the line they were still too close together at the first bend  slowing down and he couldn't get room to give it a wee bit throttle to get a slide on to power round the bend like you see the having to do sometimes in a race to the line finish and straightened and just caught the fence and then sudden stop.( could be wrong though)Unlucky.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

As many have said , that was as entertaining and exciting a meeting as you'll see anywhere this season . The racing was terrific with passing , repassing and close racing in almost every heat .

Craig Cook looks , and played the part of the best rider in the league to perfection . I wonder if they pay him to miss the gate . But that was the theme throughout the meeting , the Bandits gating and the Tigers coming from the back . Nobody filled that role better than both Jensen and Starke , with Starke's gating pretty awful , and while they can get away with that at Glasgow , they won't at Shielfield Park . Jensen's race with Jackobsen in heat 9 being the pick of a long list of breathtaking heats , that was no quarter asked or given . 

Young Bickley was also a stand out on his debut , looked a much faster and solid rider than he did last year . 

Berwick played their part though and were much better than the scoreline suggests . If the track is like that every week , with so many lines , what a season we are in for . 

• Like 2

Agree 100% with the sentiments expressed, a brilliant nights racing from both teams. There were are number of "first timers" at Ashfield last night and the two families I spoke to as they left were enthralled with the night's entertainment and are returning for the next meeting. Speedway at its best.

Best wishes to Jye Etheridge on a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

We are starting the season 3 weeks later than we normally do and it shows. The track was smooth, no heavy rain or frost over the last week to cause problems in prepping it. We should start at this time every year. Its also a chore to stand on the terraces in bitter cold, but not last night.

• Like 1