British Speedway Forum

US riders of the 30's

iris123

Sid. Full marks for trying to stick up for Gustix, but to be fair this thread was grand until Gustix re-posted something from Chunky that was over a year old. He could have had no motivation other than to stir things up which he has achieved.

1 minute ago, salty said:

But you were at the Speedway Star in 1962 and that year Igor was number 10 in their World Rankings so hard to believe you wouldn't recognise him.

As

If Igor Plechanov was in the 1962 Speedway Star World Ratings I do not recall. But that's hardly a qualification that I should recognise a photo of him. If a BSF member placed a portrait of a 1928 pioneer Australian rider and asked me to name him I doubt that I could.

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

If Igor Plechanov was in the 1962 Speedway Star World Ratings I do not recall. But that's hardly a qualification that I should recognise a photo of him. If a BSF member placed a portrait of a 1928 pioneer Australian rider and asked me to name him I doubt that I could.

Two utterly different issues. One is a top 10 rider from when you were heavily involved as a journalist within the sport. The other is a picture of someone who rode before you were born.

3 hours ago, salty said:

Sid. Full marks for trying to stick up for Gustix, but to be fair this thread was grand until Gustix re-posted something from Chunky that was over a year old. He could have had no motivation other than to stir things up which he has achieved.

I'm NOT annoyed with you salty but think your comment in regard to my motivation for my Post a shade harsh. This forum is to debate matters of speedway interest and that's all I wanted to achieve with my Post. Judging by comments so far I appear to have done that?

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Norbold you took Chunky's side the other week, ???? you always seemed to be fair with Gustix patient and fair .And you have always been terrific with me over the years even when i didn't deserve it sorry if i have offended you.

Sid, it's not a case of taking sides.

What Chunky said was:

Jansson was world class, but not at the very top echelon (Collins, Olsen, Mauger)

His world pairs titles were good achievements, BUT for the most part the riders he beat were not of top quality

Jansson probably would have reached the very top class, but nooone knows for sure.

Those were all pretty reasonable points, you can disagree if you like, but you seem to have taken offence to them. They were not aggressively made, and that is why  Norbold, and I add myself, think you are out of line in your responses. Nothing personal, we have had great discussions on here over the years and I have a great deal of respect for your views on speedway matters, but here I think you are in the wrong.

As for Gustix, it's admirable you stand up for him because you perceive him to be bullied. But, he has managed to annoy many on here, including some of the most mild mannered and polite members of the BSF to the point they have blocked him. You have to ask why this is. As an example, he has recently decided to respond to most of my posts with a laughing emoji.  These were, in my view, perfectly reasonable posts. Why would someone do that? Similarly, he has been asked many reasonable questions, which he simply ignores, and instead posts a new set of links. Why would someone who regularly talks up their credentials as a speedway reporter, then claim not to recognise photos of riders like Ronnie Moore, Ivan Mauger, Plechanov etc? It is very very sad in my opinion that he chooses to act in this way, rather than actually try to contribute. None of us know the guy in "real life" so it's no personal vendetta against him, I think we all just wish he would stop acting like such a complete cockwomble.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, salty said:

But you were at the Speedway Star in 1962 and that year Igor was number 10 in their World Rankings so hard to believe you wouldn't recognise him.

The name - yes. In a photo -no! A simple equation IMO.

26 minutes ago, Pinny said:

You all seem to fall for this Gustixs rubbish. Hes a sad old man whos hopefully nearing the end of his days . 

Rather vindictive! In several years BSF membership (or on Facebook) that's the first I can recall where a Poster is wishing for somebody to PASS AWAY!

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, gustix said:

I have not been kicked off many FB groups. Just one re Wimbledon where the Admin  is the mysterious Terry Mussett?

Wasn’t there a recent group formed through this forum that you somehow wasn’t a member of any more, by accident maybe and they didn’t really want you back ? Plus as I mentioned before there was another Wimbledon speedway group where you wouldn’t have been accepted if you had tried

Just off hand

Why all this insistence that I should be able to recognise Igor Plechanov in a photo? I do  recognise his achievements as a rider, but that's as far as it goes. He rode in era when I had no speedway activity or interest.

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Wasn’t there a recent group formed through this forum that you somehow wasn’t a member of any more, by accident maybe and they didn’t really want you back ? Plus as I mentioned before there was another Wimbledon speedway group where you wouldn’t have been accepted if you had tried

Just off hand

You are correct! There was some weird FB group started by baldyman (??) that blocked me after I had joined. Is it still active? And there is the Terry Muffett-run Wimbledon group that kicked me out. Gosh! I have been a naughty lad by the look of things! On the other hand MAJOR FB groups have me as a member.

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

You are correct! There was some weird FB group started by baldyman (??) that blocked me after I had joined. Is it still active? And there is the Terry Muffett-run Wimbledon group that kicked me out. Gosh! I have been a naughty lad by the look of things! On the other hand MAJOR FB groups have me as a member.

You are a member John, a major one

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You are a member John, a major one

What FB group do you refer to please? What's its title and I'll do a FB search for it. All these blocks by group is IMO censorship - something we are all supposed to be opposed to. I have a couple of FB groups and while I may disagree with some opinions have never blocked a member although in some instances have deleted a Post - but very few.

Edited by Guest

53 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Are they ones your mate Simon belongs to? I can imagine what they are like. Nice the two of you have each other to chat to about the failings of admin of sites like FB and BSF...

I have no idea who Simon is! Or what his group's title is. And I do not chat on FB - usually just view items that appear. And there is no fault with BSF Admin - just how some of its poster members react to things. BTW any update on Barry Butterworth?

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Just off hand

Sorry to be a nuisance (!!!) but any chance, to clarify things, how many Wimbledon Facebook groups are there" And if possible their titles please. Here's one of them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/283482255668541/

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, gustix said:

I have no idea who Simon is! Or what his group's title is. And I do not chat on FB - usually just view items that appear. And there is no fault with BSF Admin - just how some of its poster members react to things. BTW any update on Barry Butterworth?

Don't know who Simon is? Lovely bloke with "interesting" views on homosexuals, muslims, immigrants. Used to post on here lots, until people called him out for his bigotry and he started crying about it, especially when Admin wouldn't stick up for him. 

I thought you might know him from the way you regularly tag him in Facebook posts and he replies to you. Might be one of those things you did then forgot about? 

As for Barry Butterworth, I stand by my assertion that the average member of the NZ public wouldn't know who he is. A much more reasonable assertion in my view than a retired speedway journalist claiming not to recognise Ivan Mauger (who coincidentally, the average member of the NZ public would recognise) or Plechanov (top rider in an era he worked at the speedway star). Would you disagree?

• Like 1