British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2019

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

It was really. ..

Both Shanes and Castagna should have been available for one of the domestic National Titles up for grabs in British Speedway..

The reality is, on the day,  Birmingham had SIX fit riders to take up FOUR places.

Good odds that....

Letting riders, and other federations, dictate to British Speedway when it can (and in this case cannot), run a credible offering to the public is a large part of the sports malaise...

And shouldn't be accepted..

Not sure where Paco was but Shanes was contesting a European Grasstrack title (or qualification for) and this is the area that he is likely to have greater individual success in than Speedway and Birmingham like any other club would be stupid to push him to choose (although it is also ACU calling the shots there). So in all fairness Brum did only have 2 fit riders (with Morris & Stoneman still injured). As ever the fault lies in the fact that this scenario hasn't been properly considered rather than with the unlucky club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Absolutely cracking idea by the B'ham promotion coming up next home meeting?

A £3 ticket buys you the privilege of watching 3 heats from the Centre Green ? Heats 12 - 14 ......

Surely 'every' speedway spectator would love that experience?

Brilliant!

workington used to do ht 15 . if you bought a 50/50 ticket you had 2 chances , 1 to win %50 of the draw total and then your ticket would be entered into a draw for the lucky few who had their ticket numbers pulled out of the draw . a popular end of the night thing .  about 12 or so fans found themselves screwed into the rugby pitch by the constant turning to watch the racing .the ladies in heels were the hardest to get out as they really screwed themselves into the ground big style . but the hardest ting was finding someone to unscrew them by actually tuning them clockwise and understanding the meaning of a left hand thread ! ! 

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2019 at 9:36 AM, Richard Weston said:

Makes me dizzy, having done it before but many will enjoy --still a good idea from Brummies = selling something that is rarely available to most fans.

Me too, i never liked it when i used to drive the grader around the track at Wimbledon. It used to give me a neck ache staying out on the centre green for the whole meeting. I'd imagine the experience might be different at a big track.

1 hour ago, guitar_art said:

There is really no need to get dizzy following the bikes round and round. Point yourself towards one corner and you have a view of  about three quarters of the track just by turning your head. You then flip your head to your other shoulder to recatch the action.

I was shown many years ago that best way is to move your feet not your head, so you do 4 x 90 degree feet turns and makes you a lot less dizzy as head is always pointing in same direction as feet. Trick taught me by an old Squaddie at Coventry Speedway.

Going by Stewart Dickson's comments when interviewed at last night's Leicester meeting, it sounded as though Danyon Hume might be coming your way. When asked about Lions vacancy at reserve he said Hume's average was too high for Lions ,but understood he'd signed for a club not far away, which putting 2+2 together & Birmingham being the nearest to Leicester  means he might be your man.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 9:36 AM, Richard Weston said:

Makes me dizzy, having done it before but many will enjoy --still a good idea from Brummies = selling something that is rarely available to most fans.

Having had the privilege of being very close to the action for a few years now, it still amazes me how close these guys ride to each other, especially when their chasing the back wheel. The speeds entering and exiting a corner is unbelievable, must have absolute trust in each other.  An excellent addition to a nights racing for the fans, worth every penny to watch from the middle.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevethelion said:

Going by Stewart Dickson's comments when interviewed at last night's Leicester meeting, it sounded as though Danyon Hume might be coming your way. When asked about Lions vacancy at reserve he said Hume's average was too high for Lions ,but understood he'd signed for a club not far away, which putting 2+2 together & Birmingham being the nearest to Leicester  means he might be your man.

If it is Danyon, then it looks like we're struggling for 'funds' ?

I'm happy to see him back at PB, but I think he'll find it tough going at this level....hope he can stay injury free!

8 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

If it is Danyon, then it looks like we're struggling for 'funds' ?

I'm happy to see him back at PB, but I think he'll find it tough going at this level....hope he can stay injury free!

Don't see why he'd struggle, doing just as well in the NL as the likes of Kyle Bickley, Anders Rowe, Nathan Stoneman, Drew Kemp, Leon Flint etc... And much better than the likes of Danny Phillips and Connor Bailey

Plus he knows the Birmingham track well does he not?

• Like 1

Think you’ll find the Dane is lined up for next season. If it’s the lad from press and practice, he’s too young to race in Britain until next season but he looked really really quick and very very stylish 

might be a completely different Dane so will have to wait for the official club press release to be sure. 

Edited by the hobbit

2 minutes ago, the hobbit said:

Think you’ll find the Dane is lined up for next season. If it’s the lad from press and practice, he’s too young to race in Britain until next season but he looked really really quick and very very stylish 

might be a completely different Dane so will have to wait for the official club press release to be sure. 

Oh right I just seen the announcement but it did say full story to follow so yeah could be the case. 

I think they were trying to hang on for barker until he signed for Scunthorpe kind of stuffing there plans up.

5 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

2 changes for the Birmingham, Hume has been brought in and so has Dane Nick Agertoft a think that’s how you spell it... let’s hope they have better luck with him than they did the other Dane.

I wouldn't get too excited

https://dt-speedway.dmusport.dk/ranglister?classID=782&divisionID=14

Jacob Bukhave 7.58

Tobias Thomsen 5.83

Nick Agertoft 4.80

29 minutes ago, the hobbit said:

Some very fickle fans out there. 

This is the same Danyon Hume who has been such a firm fans favourite ever since he joined us!!!  A 200% trier. 

I would have  him in my team every day if the year above Zach Wajtknecht!!!!

Not sure why the word 'fickle' has been used?

I'd also have Danyon over Zach any day of the week!

3 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Not sure why the word 'fickle' has been used?

I'd also have Danyon over Zach any day of the week!

Wasn’t Hume averaging nearly 4 when he was at Ipswich I’m sure he can get to that again if he has an injury free spell.