British Speedway Forum

Leicester 2019

Even though his record of winning heat 1 when at No.1 this season probably hasnt been all that great, I think Leicester needs Scott Nicholls to get back there from a team point of view. Hopefully the upcoming new averages will bring that about, although it might be a bit tight. If it does, it should ensure he's also there for the playoffs. The lack of a nailed-on winner of heat 1 is putting more pressure on Connor Mountain to deliver a win in heat 2, but too many second places, including behind riders he should be beating in that heat. So that turns up the pressure on heats 3 and 4, and wheras in the early season Leicester were getting great starts to matches, they aren't doing that as much now and there's been too much need to use an early TS.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, Big Al said:

In something of a straightjacket though for making multiple changes by the 28th - would need to shed 2 or 3 points from the team average, unless individual changes are made. I can't see any option except to carry on with Lawlor, Proctor may need to be replaced but how easy is finding someone suitable by then, and the Worrall situation has to be resolved too but the longer that goes on, the more it seems like he will be returning otherwise I can't see it being anything different to carry on with guests. At least he would have plenty of Poole matches coming up if he returns at end of this month. So I can't see them making any change. Someone was practicing up at BP this morning by the sound of it. 

You should have gone for Proctors replacement at Sheffield, Sedgeman, he has been a revelation, even beating Cook on Sunday

Guest Loose Diamond
3 hours ago, The Third Man said:

You should have gone for Proctors replacement at Sheffield, Sedgeman, he has been a revelation, even beating Cook on Sunday

Hello. I'm sorry for this and I know it has nothing to do with this post but is your profile photo Bob Paulson?

On 8/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, mac101 said:

Remove Proctor use a point and I would try get Daynon Hume in at reserve and see who we can get with the points that are left 

Looks like the first part has happened, r/r at Brum tonight.

By my reckoning (i.e. I'm not discounting the possibility I may have overlooked a result somewhere) last night was Lions biggest away win since Sheffield in 1980 [50-28]. A result they also managed at Coventry :D in 1974.

Not since 1951 have Leicester [Hunters] won by more than 22 points away - a 61-23 annihilation of Cradley.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

If my calculations are correct the Lions are now guaranteed a place in the play offs. To finish top Lions need maximum points from their 2 remaining matches and hope that Glasgow, Somerset and Redcar slip up.

The most points Leicester can now get is 50. -     

Glasgow have 6 meetings to go and currently have 36 points, so even if they only get 3 points from each of their remaining away meeting and win all home,  they will end up with 54 points. 

uu.png.a59a1ef423115fc015d6e95417dbb7e1.png

Edited by justathought

51 minutes ago, justathought said:

The most points Leicester can now get is 50. -     

Glasgow have 6 meetings to go and currently have 36 points, so even if they only get 3 points from each of their remaining away meeting and win all home,  they will end up with 54 points. 

uu.png.a59a1ef423115fc015d6e95417dbb7e1.png

Glasgow can get a maximum of 56 points, Somerset 48 and Redcar 50 so all could get more than the Lions. The maximum the other teams can get are all below the Lions current 43.

15 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

Glasgow can get a maximum of 56 points, Somerset 48 and Redcar 50 so all could get more than the Lions. The maximum the other teams can get are all below the Lions current 43.

Currently on +/- (away points won less home points lost) Glasgow are +18, Leicester +16, Redcar +8 & Somerset are on +6. So as it stands it looks like the race for the top position is only between Glasgow & Leicester. A more than 6 point win by Somerset tomorrow at Leicester could change things  though.

The problem Glasgow has is trying to get all home matches completed before the playoffs and also they have to win them! No match this weekend and the forecast for next week is rain. Without Paul Starke we look vulnerable particularly as we now have 4 young lads in the team. Sam Jensens last bend fall could be crucial as the Tigers would have won the match against the lions and we would be 2 points better of and the lions 3 points worse off. The crucial thing is whether ty Proctor is able to come back after his recent injury and whether Worrall is able to make a comeback. 

56 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

The problem Glasgow has is trying to get all home matches completed before the playoffs and also they have to win them! No match this weekend and the forecast for next week is rain. Without Paul Starke we look vulnerable particularly as we now have 4 young lads in the team. Sam Jensens last bend fall could be crucial as the Tigers would have won the match against the lions and we would be 2 points better of and the lions 3 points worse off. The crucial thing is whether ty Proctor is able to come back after his recent injury and whether Worrall is able to make a comeback. 

It’s hard believe with only 11 teams in league ,that there is a struggle to complete league fixtures before cut -off.Needs a radical rethink.IMO

2 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

The new Jensen impressed by the way he rode at Leicester though. He was under pressure from Ryan Douglas, and bend 4 catches out riders because you run out of track very quickly, it's happened a fair bit especially with riders who are less familiar and it only needs a second of lapse in concentration. For what it's worth in that race I thought that Connor Mountain had got past the other Glasgow rider (can't recall who) to take second place and was surprised when the ref only gave him third. Maybe her attention had been distracted by Jensen's crash. When do the playoffs start? Is it October? If so, that gives Worrall and Proctor decent chance of getting fit by then. We "just" have the Shield final to focus on, in September hopefully.

9 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I thought that Connor Mountain had got past the other Glasgow rider (can't recall who) to take second place

It was Connor Bailey. And I thought Connor Mountain was well in front at the finish line.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, False dawn said:

It was Connor Bailey. And I thought Connor Mountain was well in front at the finish line.

I was sat in the front row of the stand and couldn't tell who had got up on the line , so nobody was well in front 

27 minutes ago, Paulco said:

I was sat in the front row of the stand and couldn't tell who had got up on the line , so nobody was well in front 

Fair play. I was about 15 yards in front of the finish line and accept that errors due to parallax come into play.

Perhaps we need VAR...... God forbid.

55 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Fair play. I was about 15 yards in front of the finish line and accept that errors due to parallax come into play.

Perhaps we need VAR...... God forbid.

As a professional sport there should be facility for an official 'photo finish' or transponders

• Like 1

Programme notes by Dickson yesterday included a section about Ty Proctor. Interesting that he chose to "go public" and attribute high importance to Lions chances of success, to solving the puzzle that Proctor seems to be. His decisive first bend move to get in front of Schlein in heat 3 was world-class, and in hindsight it had a big influence on the match.  But we also had a case of tailed-off Ty later-on albeit when the match was effectively over. He does seem to dance to a bit of a different tune, so the issue for Dicko could be one of how much slack does he cut Ty in that respect, and how much and often he kicks him up the backside to come more in-line. I wonder if getting him a Leicester race-suit sorted out asap might help a bit?