British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2019

5 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Can't be Glasgow doing the gazumping surely, they were pleading poverty last week... :rolleyes:

I think when you talk to riders you will find that all of them have been approached by Glasgow and offered unbelievable money. This results in the team offering more money to try and get them or the rider eventually saying despite being offered a lot more by Glasgow I'll ride for you because I love the fans, love the track, its a lot closer to home, always wanted to ride for the team manger, its something my parents would have wanted me to do ………………..:shock:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gazc said:

To be fair it was only a week we were pleading poverty rather than a full season :D.

Yes indeed and it didn't work out too bad in the end.

But the huge difference here is that one of the sides doing the pleading is actually authentic, the other as THJ perfectly summed up is 'crocodile tears'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Yes indeed and it didn't work out too bad in the end.

But the huge difference here is that one of the sides doing the pleading is actually authentic, the other as THJ perfectly summed up is 'crocodile tears'.

Really see the whole point here is you see one point of the argument and react to it as gospel, and to be honest on a fans forum is hardly the place to air it.

But you believe what you want dont think anyone will lose sleep over it.

And if you resesrched you will find our major sponsors are paying sining on fees so a large outlay saved, see research it is a wonderful tool.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Really see the whole point here is you see one point of the argument and react to it as gospel, and to be honest on a fans forum is hardly the place to air it.

But you believe what you want dont think anyone will lose sleep over it.

And if you resesrched you will find our major sponsors are paying sining on fees so a large outlay saved, see research it is a wonderful tool.

All I stated above was a matter of how anyone looking from the outside will view that statement.

If your major sponsors can throw money at large signing on fees, maybe their financial clout can be put to best use elsewhere and help secure the long term future of the club

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

Seems to have used up a fair bit of the points limit I would have thought with Harris and Covatti, how much have they left to play with?

Harris 7.52 if he gets the 2.5% reduction, Covatti 6.56 so 23.92 left.

Interesting signing in Harris as you wouldn't say the OTA has been one of his better tracks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

Can't be Glasgow doing the gazumping surely, they were pleading poverty last week... :rolleyes:

I think that's the point - Teams who are pleading poverty are now offering better terms than Somerset were prepared to. It seems Charles Wright has gone for the greater deal and is hoping the grass is greener on the other side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marksman said:

All I stated above was a matter of how anyone looking from the outside will view that statement.

If your major sponsors can throw money at large signing on fees, maybe their financial clout can be put to best use elsewhere and help secure the long term future of the club

Hardly a staement was more venting of his feelings, anyway im sure our sponsors will take your suggestion on board on how do spend there money and probably do as they wish.

But if you look at the savings the club make on initial outlay from sponsors then it will be put to use elsewhere and help secure the longer term it is as broad as it's long.

Remembering we wil be saving on wages in several areas and we wont have as many one off hits this season EG Ployfoam fence , major track work etc.

Anyway this is a Somerset thread if you want to have a pop at Glasgow start a thread on it, I am sure there will plenty that can tell us how bad we are.:rolleyes:

Edited by Gazc
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I think that's the point - Teams who are pleading poverty are now offering better terms than Somerset were prepared to. It seems Charles Wright has gone for the greater deal and is hoping the grass is greener on the other side.

This is exactly what was being inferred without naming names.  You can't argue for a points reduction of even greater than 38 points on one hand and then outbid Somerset for a rider who would have been offered a good deal to return.  After all Gary did say he would do everything to bring him back to Somerset.

The implication was it won't be Glasgow.

4 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

What was said about Wright and Holder? 

See above, ref. Charles.

Jack Holder was informed that we were dropping down and was reported to be gutted as he wanted to be back at Somerset.  He fitted in well with the management.

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

Hoping he doesn't get the sack half way during the season maybe,that would come into his logic given what May done last season.

22 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Hoping he doesn't get the sack half way during the season maybe,that would come into his logic given what May done last season.

Completely warranted given his behaviour that night. Sad really, as we would of won the league had he not been sacked mind.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, screm said:

Chris Harris will be a decent signing and a heavy scorer at Championship level, lets just hope he can make ends meet. 

He didn't set the championship alight last season hence his average below 8.Maybe a ploy to stay in employment though.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

To say he had been offered a better deal with another Team is Ludicrious is a bit off,bet Harris isn't riding for peanuts.Thats Speedway Promotions for you though self interest always at heart of matters.

think Somerset have made a wise decision to drop down to the Championship.

Bit daft from Gary May to come out and describe the way he lost out on Wright as ludicrous as I`m sure somewhere down the line he will have signed a rider right from under the nose of another, it happens. Cant blame Charles wright either, he got a deal from Somerset, then got a better deal from some other team. 

Time for somerset, May and Wright to move on.

35 minutes ago, screm said:

Maybe but the Championship should be easier picking next season.

It will be but Harris is hopelessly inconsistent and seemingly overstretched machinery wise when the longtrack weekend events are on. Oh and there is also the GP qualifier to consider, so thats another weekend down. Happily pass the frustration baton onto Somerset.