British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2019

4 hours ago, Mimmo said:

I wish Valentin the very best of luck having been given the chance to race in this country, but what a kick in the teeth for riders like Mason Campton and Simon Lambert who have no club to ride for, through no fault of their own.

Campton's average is well over a point higher than Berge's so wouldn't fit. Lambert simply isn't good enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, screm said:

No surprise at all that Berge has tippy toed away from Somerset, he did a very similar thing when at Berwick a couple of seasons ago. No sooner had he signed then he wanted away and ultimately got his wish, he is a talent but he needs to sort out his temperament. 

Same at Glasgow, although he didn't exactlly tippy tpe away. :rolleyes::cheers:

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Campton's average is well over a point higher than Berge's so wouldn't fit. Lambert simply isn't good enough.

I think Simon  Lambert would do a better job than the German guy who has absolutely no experience of British tracks and he's not exactly coming in as a new talent , and I wouldn't expect him to see the season through without being replaced or getting injured at some stage . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

I think Simon  Lambert would do a better job than the German guy who has absolutely no experience of British tracks and he's not exactly coming in as a new talent , and I wouldn't expect him to see the season through without being replaced or getting injured at some stage . 

Agree 100%. Why do the promoters keep backing rubbish foreign riders over British riders ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Agree 100%. Why do the promoters keep backing rubbish foreign riders over British riders ?

Somerset top 4 look good, but with 2 rookie reserves and a German with little knowledge of British tracks they will be wagging a long tail , top 4 can't afford any off nights . The gamble with the 2 reserves I think is worth it but it's a big risk bringing in the German.

2 hours ago, mikebaker said:

On his two spells at Redcar. Berge is a gating tart. And his machinery was very suspect.

Not so much a gating tart,just not interested most of the time,he has talent but attitude stinks IMO.His fellow Frenchman Bellego suffers the same traits.Seem to be earning a living out the sport though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

This could be a problematical signing if there is a hard Brexit.

Why?What is the latest?I Thought May had assured there would be no problem,you just have to register.And as long as you have a job there should be no problem,I thought.In this case it all seems to be before Brexit happens anyway.Maybe after there could be problems

1 hour ago, Fred5 said:

Well listen more carefully

So when were Brexit arrangements signed off? I must have missed that.

Given that ending freedom of movement is one of May's red lines and that Javid and May regularly talk about reducing migration it seems that any outcome that doesn't involve one of the softer options ( such as EFTA or Norway) will result in restrictions on EU nationals working in the UK.

Whether assurances about Europeans already working here are relevant given that Grobauer will be self-employed and his first engagement in the UK will be after 29 March is impossible to guess at.

Of course if we have May's deal ( or variant thereof) or extension to article 50 then the issue is deferred until 2020 or a subsequent season.

Not withstanding the Parliamentary vote (Spelman/Dromey) hard Brexit is still on the table.

So who knows what will happen.

As you say,who knows what will happen?Assurances have been given and even in a hard Brexit all that is supposed to happen is EU nationals will no longer have priority.So every foreign rider will be treated the same,it seems.If Grobauer has problems then so will any new foreign rider I guess.I imagine if he has any problem it will be on track,rather than off

33 minutes ago, GWC said:

And it may get tougher to sign EU riders if qualifying national championships are used as a benchmark similar to Australians.

At least then, British riders will get their chance, which many reckon they should be getting in the first place.

• Like 3