British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2019

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

I think Peterborough are in the right on this one. Absolutely 1 million percent club sponsors should take priority over individual riders. Club sponsors and the revenue it creates is what is helping keep clubs afloat at the moment so more and more of that is required. If a rider, in this case Cook, isn't happy about that then go and sign for someone else. The irony is that he has absolutely no sponsors on display now.

No sponsors on display?

I don't think so

54 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

These team covers work on Poland. Why do riders agree to that but not here. Are they paid for it in Poland????

I’ve done kevlars for a rider to ride in the Elitserien and Polish Nice league this season. When it’s been my turn to do add the sponsors of the rider, most of the suit has been labeled with club logos. Thats how it goes.

Like someone said, riders threatened with a strike a while back in Poland. Also worth remembering that Woffy said a few tears ago that if you sign for Ekstraliga club, you sell your soul...

• Like 1

The club must always come first

No rider is bigger than the club

As far as "image rights" is concerned - good grief, this is British Speedway we're talking about, not some multi-billion pound/dollar concern like Premier League, F1 or all those US "sports"

Get real, Craig Cook and any other rider who believes our sport and the promoters of the club's owe them a superstar living on a par with Lewis Hamilton, etc

All this whilst fans on here bemoan the levels of admission prices!

Does my head in sometimes!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Neil’s was at the show ground this afternoon. Saw him in conversation with buster for quite some time and another fan asked him if he was going to ride for panthers and he just smiled and said he would need a few weeks to get some bikes over here. Let’s just say he didn’t say no 

Looking at the team picture on webpage Charles Wright either has different kevlars or theres an issue with his as hes got green sections on upper arms and it looks like a race bib hes wearing as Panther and sponsor logo are smaller, also Lasse Bjerre has a white panel on right arm so there was room for some personal preferences.

Maybe Cook just didnt want to grow a trendy beard like the other six.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CB252 said:

In no other team sport do the competitors determine what a team kit/uniform looks like, so why should Peterborough speedway be any different?

If a company is pumping money into the club, they want to be the focal point of the team kit.

You always get the hysterical masses that side with the rider in speedway, but the club can't afford to lose a major sponsor by having a rider dictate the design of a team suit.

Looking at the press and practice pics, it's hard to see what his issue was. The fact that he was willing to sell his principles out for points money also cheapens his argument massively.

Any sport that requires similar outlay on equipment so you can participate, leaves the design of the “uniform” and the majority of sponsors there on it, up to the competitor. 

• Like 1

If the logo rule is the same for all 7 and Craig knew that. then it's Cookies fault. If he thought he could stick it out and get his way with Buster,  Not going to happen.

He shouldn't of been declared he wasn't signed though. And it shouldn't of been left so late.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

I have to agree with Cook's stance.  If the club want to take over prime sponsorship space then they should expect to pay for it or at least compensate the rider.

How much do riders get in SGP when they all have the same fork covers and race jacket, with sponsors other than their own on. Last season Craig Cook being one.

I didn't think team suits were even compulsory anymore? I'd be pretty peed off if I'd bought a season ticket expecting to see Harris & Cook and got fobbed off with Tungate and whoever...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stiltonpanther said:

What a debacle. From being excited about the season, my enthusiasm has now gone. I never liked the idea of Buster taking over our club and now my fears are bearing fruit.

It'd be hard to find a more supportive fan at the EoES than Stilts so if that's how he feels then we really are in a mess.

• Like 3

I cannot believe the postings of those who back the club's stance on this matter. Totally naive, small minded and frankly come across as money grabbers!

However, that's your choice and it's a free world.

But let me explain, using finance as a basis (no point in wasting my time talking about principles), as to why I disagree with you 100% that club sponsors are more important than individual rider ones. Why finance? Because that is all you seem to think is important - hence "money grabbers".

ALL sponsors are important. Every single one. Whether it's a fan or a large company. A donation is a donation. People give what they can. 

Collectively, rider sponsorship will undoubtedly come to a higher total of money than that of total club sponsors in the UK. Do the maths!

So, you p... off rider sponsors and guess what happens next year? 

Riders have less financial support and they go to clubs for higher wages. Clubs then either meet those demands - and the admission price increases. We all know what the result of that is on BSF - moan, moan, moan - "15 minutes of riding for £X, not worth it, I'm not going back, burning my season ticket". Or if they don't meet those demands, riders have poorer equipment and guess what happens on BSF - moan, moan, moan - "the racing is cr4p - 15 minutes of follow the leader, I'm not going back, etc"!

Yes, it then comes down to YOUR MONEY and you're getting value for it. Ah! But it's different when it comes down to your money. Sponsors money doesn't matter, we take that for granted. And guess what sponsors want? No different from you.

Waken up, take your blinkers off, join the real world outside of your club and get real!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

I have to agree with Cook's stance.  If the club want to take over prime sponsorship space then they should expect to pay for it or at least compensate the rider.

All the sponsors are in white including team sponsors. The only team sponsors are on the torso which is usual place.Looking at the riders they have all their usual sponsors in the usual prominent places like arms and legs etc. They are also wearing their own caps so what Craig is saying is incorrect.

54799688_10157806703903538_8454255827795

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Rob B said:

All the sponsors are in white including team sponsors. The only team sponsors are on the torso which is usual place.Looking at the riders they have all their usual sponsors in the usual prominent places like arms and legs etc. They are also wearing their own caps so what Craig is saying is incorrect.

54799688_10157806703903538_8454255827795

Maybe Cook was trying it on.His sponsors would have been happy with what would have been on his race suit looking at those above.But he told the management they wouldn't be happy so needs more points money.He wanted the best of both worlds by the looks of it but has backfired on him.He will now have to wait for a team position to come up and settle for whatever points money he is offered.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1