British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

2 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Well that's ok then and clearly this approach of being caught out by believing what others have said followed by gazumping works. Still think clubs could try and work together and try and keep costs down. Interesting that you could match the terms of the rich club so obviously you must be rich as well Think the whole scenario you mention is a bit rich.

Oh you've returned after keeping a low profile  :rolleyes: thanks for the congratulations on winning the """Treble"" this season :rofl::drink:  Glasgow will resume normal service and start throwing cash at riders before too long, and reading between the lines from THJ have already started .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Oh you've returned after keeping a low profile  :rolleyes: thanks for the congratulations on winning the """Treble"" this season :rofl::drink:  Glasgow will resume normal service and start throwing cash at riders before too long, and reading between the lines from THJ have already started .

Start a new thread something along the lines of lets say Glasgow the Satan of Speedway, then we can all pull up a seat get our cargo in and watch it all unfold, I can run a book on it to see who will have the most post counts 

Currently

Jenga - 1/2

THJ- Evens

Marksman - Evens

Yourself 2/1

And anyway if we throw cash at riders in this weather the wind will blow it away pointless exercise I would say.

But seriously do your lot not worry about what happens at your own Club you talk more about us it is not healthy, I await smarmy reply :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Start a new thread something along the lines of lets say Glasgow the Satan of Speedway, then we can all pull up a seat get our cargo in and watch it all unfold, I can run a book on it to see who will have the most post counts 

Currently

Jenga - 1/2

THJ- Evens

Marksman - Evens

Yourself 2/1

And anyway if we throw cash at riders in this weather the wind will blow it away pointless exercise I would say.

But seriously do your lot not worry about what happens at your own Club you talk more about us it is not healthy, I await smarmy reply :D

are those odds making me favourite  Gaz  ? 

gotta win this, cant let those pesky cornets win everything in 2018 ! (well almost everything)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Currently

Jenga - 1/2

THJ- Evens

Marksman - Evens

Yourself 2/1

Pot, kettle , Black, that last comment GazC  ....everywhere I am , you follow...every thread I look at you've been there, every comment I make 5 mins later you reply :D now that's unhealthy !!!!

And I'm quite offended I'm not your favourite :P 

Edited by Taylorj
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Well Ive been enjoying a well earned rest  :drink:, not had internet connection, and anyway there has been nothing to talk about recently. Sadly you are wrong, I didn't congratulate you for winning the treble but I will congratulate the riders of Workington who rode extremely well and covered for the sad injury to young Dan. I hope there loyalty to the fans and the club has been suitably rewarded. Despite what you and THJ might think I am totally against cheque book speedway and that's what Ive been trying to say. The old guard suggest one thing prior to the conference and then change there mind at the conference resulting in deals getting torn up cos they move the goal posts - 7 instead of 6 man teams and 38 rather than 36 average. This then results in gazumping as riders with 5 point averages can hold out for more or as ive said on another post in the somerset thread riders can say they've been approached by Glasgow, even if they haven't, and suggest theyve been offered a better deal. The original club then either offers more or the rider accepts what was first offered by saying I've always wanted to stay, I love the track, I love the fans, etc etc.  But feel free to ignore all of this as no doubt youll think I'm having a dig at you and all the others with chips on there shoulders :P  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

Pot, kettle , Black, that last comment GazC  ....everywhere I am , you follow...every thread I look at you've been there, every comment I make 5 mins later you reply :D now that's unhealthy !!!!

And I'm quite offended I'm not your favourite :P 

:D Now now you are flattering yourself slightly well a lot actually , and the only reason were on the same thread is it is usually a Glasgow one.

But your odds will shorten dramatically once you are in full flow.

And i can honestly say i have never been smarmy on here ;).

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

are those odds making me favourite  Gaz  ? 

gotta win this, cant let those pesky cornets win everything in 2018 ! (well almost everything)

There could only be one favourite and your slavering makes you odds on, no need to thank me though.

Edited by Gazc

4 hours ago, Gazc said:

Currently

Jenga - 1/2

THJ- Evens

Marksman - Evens

Yourself 2/1

A pointless exercise that’s destroying speedway as we know it, I really wish the wind would blow it away Gaz. 

We ARE worrying about our own club, which is precisely why we are so bothered by the antics of a certain Scottish club. 

Get me on that scoreboard, I look forward to seeing the winner. :t:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WorkyWorky said:

A pointless exercise that’s destroying speedway as we know it, I really wish the wind would blow it away Gaz. 

We ARE worrying about our own club, which is precisely why we are so bothered by the antics of a certain Scottish club. 

Get me on that scoreboard, I look forward to seeing the winner. :t:

Surely it is every clubs right to conduct there business how they see fit not another teams fans business on how they want them to run it because it affects the signing of a rider they were after ?

It happens in every sport FFS nobody can tell me that Workington or any other team for that matter have never gazumped another club over the decades on a signing.

And why would Workington be bothered about us,  it is up to Workington to do all they can to sign there targets  and not down to Glasgow to back down from one just because another club is after him, it is the way it works and if the boot was on the other foot I am sure we would hear nothing more about it as we would just move on to our next target.

It appears some at Workington have a bee in there bonnet about us why only they know, as for us we will go about our business the WAY WE SEE FIT it is not down to us to tread eggshells in case we upset someone.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

The anti Glasgow undercurrent from quite a few Workington fans on here has been apparent for a few years now. Not sure why, i dont recall any flashpoints, and i also dont recall it being there in 2013 or 2014. Perhaps they have previously seen Glasgow as beneath them, perhaps its jealousy, perhaps its something else only they could explain. Im sure those who do post don't reflect the vast majority of Workington fans.

• Like 2

Yeah but Glasgow have literally put a statement up very recently about losing 100’s of thousands of pounds every year and how they can’t afford to do that anymore, yet are still going about the same way of poaching riders and paying far more than other teams for middle order riders. It’s not on because it is forcing all of the other clubs to stretch their budgets due to all the riders demanding that extra £5/10 per point that is un needed and is due to the fact they know how much others are getting paid. Wage caps and cutting out greedy engine tuners are a neccessity for this sport to survive and whilst their is not teams like Glasgow will continue to ruin this good sport by making themselves and all of the other clubs go into financial ruin until they close down. I appreciate what the Facenna’s have done to the stadium and to the club but I do not appreciate what they have done to the sport at all.

And yes I do know some of the figures of riders wages from a couple of years ago at Glasgow and no I am not sharing them but yes they are completely over the top and yes they are a lot more than other similar riders were getting at other clubs that year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lot of good points made but it still doesn't get away from the fact you cannot tell anyone in any walk of life how to

A. Run there business. 

B.What they pay.

Yes we lost money but if you dig you will see a lot of one off purchases polyfoam fence , track work and so on.

Whilst the statement went down like a lead balloon Glasgow will continue to conduct there business as they see fit, how much they pay is irrelevant it is up to them.

However it makes last weeks statement all the more baffling if we are being gung ho in what we pay , i know the signing on fee is being paid by sponsors which is a major boost but the proof of how we perform financially will be under scrutiny more than ever this season.

• Like 1

Someone offers you a job at £x and you verbally agree terms . You go home and someone else phones you and offers you £x amount more . So you call the first one and say " sorry i've changed my mind " . 

I've done that in the past and so has thousands of other people , it happens , it's life . 

But to blame Glasgow for threatening the future existance of clubs and dangering the future of speedway as a whole is hysteria bordering on paranoia . 

If a club offers to pay a rider more money than another club will , then deal with it . The only future Glasgow is threatening is possibly it's own for the gamble of being a good payer . 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Paulco said:

Someone offers you a job at £x and you verbally agree terms . You go home and someone else phones you and offers you £x amount more . So you call the first one and say " sorry i've changed my mind " . 

I've done that in the past and so has thousands of other people , it happens , it's life . 

But to blame Glasgow for threatening the future existance of clubs and dangering the future of speedway as a whole is hysteria bordering on paranoia . 

If a club offers to pay a rider more money than another club will , then deal with it . The only future Glasgow is threatening is possibly it's own for the gamble of being a good payer . 

First bit I agree with 100% but I do believe that riders wages/add ons/signing on fees from what they are getting at Glasgow (and maybe other clubs) are making the whole set of riders wanting more money that just isn’t available to all clubs, but if you build a weak team you will be bottom of the league and your crowds will fall, for me it’s all about all of the clubs working together and finding the balance, first step to that is wage caps, that can either be through a teams total wage cap as per NFL or be done as follows, ROUGHLY... 6 pointer = £60pp, 4 pointer =£40pp, 9 pointer =£90pp as an eg. If all clubs can agree on them and stick to them with heavy fines if caught breaking the caps with the fine being split between the other clubs then that will go along way into saving british speedway in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

First bit I agree with 100% but I do believe that riders wages/add ons/signing on fees from what they are getting at Glasgow (and maybe other clubs) are making the whole set of riders wanting more money that just isn’t available to all clubs, but if you build a weak team you will be bottom of the league and your crowds will fall, for me it’s all about all of the clubs working together and finding the balance, first step to that is wage caps, that can either be through a teams total wage cap as per NFL or be done as follows, ROUGHLY... 6 pointer = £60pp, 4 pointer =£40pp, 9 pointer =£90pp as an eg. If all clubs can agree on them and stick to them with heavy fines if caught breaking the caps with the fine being split between the other clubs then that will go along way into saving british speedway in my opinion.

That happens in sports like Rugby League . It's a nice idea in theory , but in reality someone will find a way round it , much like the financial fair play in football . 

Trouble with speedway is , there havent been many rules implemented that havent been bent in some way . 

14 minutes ago, Paulco said:

I am sure it is our fault on the poor deal we got on Brexit.

But some of the posts about us the last 48 hours on here ranges from the laughable to the pathetic im sure Gerry if looking in is pi*sing himself at the paronoia on here.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Yeah but Glasgow have literally put a statement up very recently about losing 100’s of thousands of pounds every year and how they can’t afford to do that anymore, yet are still going about the same way of poaching riders and paying far more than other teams for middle order riders. It’s not on because it is forcing all of the other clubs to stretch their budgets due to all the riders demanding that extra £5/10 per point that is un needed and is due to the fact they know how much others are getting paid. Wage caps and cutting out greedy engine tuners are a neccessity for this sport to survive and whilst their is not teams like Glasgow will continue to ruin this good sport by making themselves and all of the other clubs go into financial ruin until they close down. I appreciate what the Facenna’s have done to the stadium and to the club but I do not appreciate what they have done to the sport at all.

And yes I do know some of the figures of riders wages from a couple of years ago at Glasgow and no I am not sharing them but yes they are completely over the top and yes they are a lot more than other similar riders were getting at other clubs that year.

Even if Glasgow do choose to pay riders more than other teams, (not that you provide any proof, right enough)......what difference does it make to what other teams pay THEIR riders?   Ok, riders can ask for more based on what they hear Glasgow are paying, but that doesn't mean the other promoters have to pay. What are the riders going to do?....stop riding?  

What Glasgow decide to pay only affects THEIR seven riders and maybe does some team or teams out of a desired signing (or seven)

It's business in the private sector. Wages can and do vary by large margins between different employers for people expected to do the same job. 

Edited by ragdoll64
  • Like 6