British Speedway Forum

Workington 2019

15 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

I'm looking at the local scene here for sport not the occasional big game involving somebody else, how often will Town fill it with 8000 or Reds that's what I'm saying and, why not address the point I made about the temporary seating, it can be done so a triple sport stadium could be built and if one or more fall by the wayside it's still usable in some form? :)

Derwent Park has only been filled once since opening in 1956.......1965 for a Wigan cup tie ...17,741.

So filling on a regular basis not gonna happen........yes I agree temp seats might just work for a triple sports solution....but who are we to say?

I see Town are right now asking for volunteers to help clean up/paint/etc at Derwent Park.......maybe, hopefully, the new stadium will be further away on the horizon than first mooted?

15 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Derwent Park has only been filled once since opening in 1956.......1965 for a Wigan cup tie ...17,741.

So filling on a regular basis not gonna happen........yes I agree temp seats might just work for a triple sports solution....but who are we to say?

I see Town are right now asking for volunteers to help clean up/paint/etc at Derwent Park.......maybe, hopefully, the new stadium will be further away on the horizon than first mooted?

One thing's for sure Singy, 50yrs time won't see either of us around to point the finger and say "I told you so" :D

2 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

One thing's for sure Singy, 50yrs time won't see either of us around to point the finger and say "I told you so" :D

Ha, ha,....that's for sure...............but hey many great memories of good old DP.......back in 1970 I would never have dreamt of watching my speedway team do a treble....and as I've said before I was one of those 17,741..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Ha, ha,....that's for sure...............but hey many great memories of good old DP.......back in 1970 I would never have dreamt of watching my speedway team do a treble....and as I've said before I was one of those 17,741..

Deffo, not much success but a lot of good times!! :t:

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

I don't know about Town asking for any volunteers, however, it would not surprise me if the new stadium plans are just that. With the news that Toshiba are pulling out of the proposed Moorside build, it would not surprise me if the new stadium plans get shelved to.

Edited by Gismo

3 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Beg's the question then, why sign yourself up to 50 year's of payments for stadium usage you may never see out? :unsure:

Also, should both club's expire before their collective time, who's picking up the bill for the shortfall? :(

council tax payers !

• Haha 1

i have a good few hundred  litres of paint they can use . its  sorta redish . well pink really .

as robbie williams said.  youre the 1 ..

9 minutes ago, cometbaz said:

Surely if the lease is signed by a limited company then that company goes bust, the council would have no comeback?

So all any club has to do to commit to a 50 year lease is become a limited company. 

Except the lease may require cross guarantees to a holding company or personal guarantees from Directors, we're talking Laura here and whilst she has had cash flow problems she always gets settled up. She would have her whole future to lose if it went wrong but it is unlikely her trustees will allow that sort of commitment and she doesn't shirk her responsibilities.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gismo said:

I don't know about Town asking for any volunteers, however, it would not surprise me if the new stadium plans are just that. With the news that Toshiba are pulling out of the proposed Moorside build, it would not surprise me if the new stadium plans get shelved to.

Never thought of that....but you make a very interesting point....time will tell.