British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue 2019

2 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

...and that is the problem, Smith doesn’t listen. I appreciate he is clueless about speedway and by all accounts not much idea about business but you’d have thought he would welcome customer feedback, listen and learn. I have emailed him before and he hasn’t had the decency to reply. He seems more interested in keeping ex-riders, volunteers and people with a long  association with the Aces out of BV.

As an ex-rider Lemon should have a word with him and sort it out but it’s obvious Lemo is just Smiths ‘yes man’...with NO authority or influence. 

The problem is you don’t listen to answers when given and I appreciate you’re clueless about the situation as by all accounts you are generally. I’d have thought you’d welcome management feedback but you don’t even have the decency to meet people to get things resolved in your mind. 

You seem more interested in making up problems at Belle Vue that aren’t there, bad mouthing ex riders and belittling the work of the volunteers. 

As an ex Aces supporter, someone needs to have a word with you buts it’s obvious you’re stuck in a rut of jealousy and regret. 

44 minutes ago, ouch said:

As an ex Aces supporter, someone needs to have a word with you buts it’s obvious you’re stuck in a rut of jealousy and regret. 

Ah.  That explains a lot.    That's why nothing he posts actually agrees with the facts.  A bitter and twisted ex-fan

3 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

...and that is the problem, Smith doesn’t listen.

Quite the opposite.   He walks the terraces talking to and listening to fans.   And not just at BV.   I saw him at Wolves last year in discussion with fans

I appreciate he is clueless about speedway

He admits he'd never seen the sport until he joined BV, and I've never seen him tell a fan he knows more about the history of the sport than them.  Although in actual fact he's learnt a lot in a few years and is now quite knowledgeable.  Probably far less clueless than you.

and by all accounts not much idea about business

Ooops  got it wrong again.  He's got a strong business background, and had worked for Belle Vue's multi-millionaire owners for a long time before.   (They are major players in telecomms and aerospace.  Both been directors of British Aerospace, and one the current CEO of Airbus!).   Here's your chance to give us your business credentials Speedytiger.  (Make something up, we can't check up on you.  Something glamorous... Lorry driver? Roadsweeper?  Go for it!)

I have emailed him before and he hasn’t had the decency to reply.

Maybe check you're doing it right.  I've never had a problem emailing him or finding him at the track to talk to, or even leaving a message with someone else for him.

. He seems more interested in keeping ex-riders, volunteers and people with a long  association with the Aces out of BV.

Keeping the volunteers out?  More unfathomable nonsense.  Can you list all the BV matches that were cancelled because the start marshal, clerk of the course, machine examiner, announcer, first aiders, programme sellers, etc etc were locked outside by Adrian Smith?    

He's also doing a very poor job of keeping ex-riders out, as there are always plenty of them at matches... Unless you're talking about one particluar bitter stubborn ex-rider who doesn't come to BV since falling out with John Perrin?  A silly stubborn man who refused the invites of the Mole/Thomas promotion to come back, then refused the invites of the Gordon/Morton promotion to come back...and guess what? Adrian Smith tried to get him to come back, but he remains bitter and twisted.   (You might get on with him).

Edited by CottonOn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ouch said:

The problem is you don’t listen to answers when given and I appreciate you’re clueless about the situation as by all accounts you are generally. I’d have thought you’d welcome management feedback but you don’t even have the decency to meet people to get things resolved in your mind. 

You seem more interested in making up problems at Belle Vue that aren’t there, bad mouthing ex riders and belittling the work of the volunteers. 

What a misleading inaccurate response ouch. Read my post...I support ex-riders and ex-volunteers. It’s the clueless Mr Smith that’s more interested in stopping them coming into BV not me.

I go to BV most weeks I pay my money and support the Aces and Colts teams, I’m however unimpressed with the way the club is run by Smith and Lemon. They have done nothing with BV apart from half the crowd and pour money down the drain. NOT a business track record to be proud of..!!

Im sure the council who paid out £9m and own the stadium are really concerned with the way things are going.

7 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

They have done nothing with BV apart from half the crowd .

Ooops.   Got it wrong again.   Crowds have actually gone up.   Although they want to get them to go up an awful lot more yet.

Try sticking to just posting your daft opinions.   No one can dispute that they are just your opinions (however daft).

When you post things that are factually incorrect (as you have been doing), you're only going to look a fool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CottonOn said:

Ooops.   Got it wrong again.   Crowds have actually gone up.   Although they want to get them to go up an awful lot more yet.

Try sticking to just posting your daft opinions.   No one can dispute that they are just your opinions (however daft).

When you post things that are factually incorrect (as you have been doing), you're only going to look a fool.

Cotton, You crack on to know a lot about BV and the management for a pirate. Or are you fake fan? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

What a misleading inaccurate response ouch. Read my post...I support ex-riders and ex-volunteers. It’s the clueless Mr Smith that’s more interested in stopping them coming into BV not me.

I go to BV most weeks I pay my money and support the Aces and Colts teams, I’m however unimpressed with the way the club is run by Smith and Lemon. They have done nothing with BV apart from half the crowd and pour money down the drain. NOT a business track record to be proud of..!!

Im sure the council who paid out £9m and own the stadium are really concerned with the way things are going.

When you called ex rider Mark Lemon a yes man, you meant it as a compliment? My mistake if so. 

Your original post slated the lack of press from the Aces recently. Our main contributor has enjoyed a well deserved holiday this month and the other volunteers haven’t stepped in. Again if you meant your statement as a show of support I apologise. 

I see your other misleading and inaccurate nonsense has been handled by others. 

Lanzagrotty is 2-3 degrees hotter than Glossop next week. Oops. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Cotton, You crack on to know a lot about BV and the management for a pirate. Or are you fake fan? 

Once a Pirate, always a Pirate, but since moving to Glossop I get to see more of the NSS, Buxton (RIP), and Owlerton, than dear old Wimborne Road.

Although, to be fair, there are people living on the Isle of Wight who know more about Belle Vue than you do.

Edited by CottonOn

20 minutes ago, CottonOn said:

Once a Pirate, always a Pirate, but since moving to Glossop I get to see more of the NSS, Buxton (RIP), and Owlerton, than dear old Wimborne Road.

Although, to be fair, there are people living on the Isle of Wight who know more about Belle Vue than you do.

Cotton, Ummm! Once an Ace always (43 years) an Ace. What a coincidence, like me you live in Glossop! 

See we have a slanging match going on.

our new promoters come from a substantial business background and they run the club with financial matters as their priority.

A Shame  thar other promotions do not follow suit.....paying riders over the odds when insufficient crowds are unable to sustain such pay packets is not in the new promoters vocabulary...unlike certain promotions

i back the New promoters 100%

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Promoters over-paying and having no realistic business plan is the main reason the sport has the problems it has.

Many appear to have little or now business sense or read Dickens (Mickawber) who always thought something would turn up.

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Be a good idea if speedway promoters read and acted accordingly.

True, wouldn't do you any harm to proof read before hitting send either:rolleyes:

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, Gunner85 said:

See we have a slanging match going on.

our new promoters come from a substantial business background and they run the club with financial matters as their priority.

A Shame  thar other promotions do not follow suit.....paying riders over the odds when insufficient crowds are unable to sustain such pay packets is not in the new promoters vocabulary...unlike certain promotions

i back the New promoters 100%

TBH I don’t share your view of the BV promoters business ability, certainly not in the world of speedway. As I have stated the NSS is the best speedway track and stadium in the UK by a mile and they have done nothing profitable with it.

As for keeping rider pay in check that’s nonsense, by all accounts they have lost a small fortune somewhere in the order of £250k-£500k to date and according to the council notes not yet paid the full £300k a year rent for the stadium and alarmingly they have done nothing to increase the crowd, in fact the crowd has halved since 2016 season, nor have they brought in new or significant sponsors or any new ideas.

Lemon is just an ex-rider and has no business experience, whilst Smith is, apparently, a insurance salesman with no business or speedway experience.

If you think that they are the right people to be in charge of BV and they are running and controlling finances as a priority, you are seriously deluded.

Fact, good business people make a profit...if not they go bust. Good business people don’t lose money just for fun! 

Edited by Speedtiger
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

TBH no one gives a idiot what you think !! talking of deluded yes you are !!

Well, we will see Geoff...we will see.

I’m certainly not deluded, I’m a BV fan for over 40 years who pays his money and I’m being realistic, I’m entitled to my opinion. I have only stated the true facts about the current promotion. If you know or think different I’m happy to be put right. 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:03 PM, Richard Weston said:

Promoters over-paying and having no realistic business plan is the main reason the sport has the problems it has.

Many appear to have little or now business sense or read Dickens (Mickawber) who always thought something would turn up.

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Be a good idea if speedway promoters read and acted accordingly.

This is fair point but should be put in context with other sports. Most Rugby Union clubs, for example, have been loaned £millions by wealthy owners.

According to the Guardian, Roman Abramovich has put over £1bn into Chelsea. Even allowing for the difference in revenues, attendances and almost every other factor, in comparison the investment in speedway by certain individuals is chicken feed. 

50 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Well, we will see Geoff...we will see.

I’m certainly not deluded, I’m a BV fan for over 40 years who pays his money and I’m being realistic, I’m entitled to my opinion. I have only stated the true facts about the current promotion. If you know or think different I’m happy to be put right. 

You're not stating 'true facts' though are you ?

you're just giving your opinion on the people who run BV , which is fine by the way.

The reason BV crowds are down and we're working on a shoestring is nothing to do with Adrian Smiths perceived shortcomings as a businessman

But because the sport in general is in such a perilous position , 

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, WestGorton1884 said:

You're not stating 'true facts' though are you ?

you're just giving your opinion on the people who run BV , which is fine by the way.

The reason BV crowds are down and we're working on a shoestring is nothing to do with Adrian Smiths perceived shortcomings as a businessman

But because the sport in general is in such a perilous position , 

Fair point, I agree that speedway is in a seriously desperate state.

But my point is the people running the club were reported to be experienced businessmen, they were to expected to make the club successful on and off the track but they have NOT done anything to improve and promote BV and NSS, which is without doubt the best track in the UK.

Fact, crowds are down from 2016. 

Fact, financial accounts show massive losses.

Fact, BV haven’t paid the full stadium rent according to the council.

Fact, no new significant sponsors or partners. Rentruck and ATP have been sponsor partners of BV now for many seasons and well before Smith was appointment.  

Fact, BV don’t have a long term lease and only use the stadium for speedway and haven’t created any additional income. The stadium is now operated by the council.

18 hours ago, geoff58 said:

b/vue fan ??? why do call yourself speedtiger then ?? which is reference to sheffield where you say you go to watch them ? if you were a b/vue fan you would be speedace ?? any person only supports one team any sport so sheffield it is for you then !!

Geoff, I'm NOT a troll despite what deluded ouch thinks, , I have been a loyal BV fan for over 40 years and the past few years a BV volunteer member of staff. As I live in Glossop I often go to watch Sheffield which I also enjoy.

I have strong views and serious concerns based on facts about the way BV is run...it can NOT continue...I fear it will end in disaster. 

BTW what my name is on here is actually totally irrelevant. :)