British Speedway Forum

Lakeside v Workington 27/10/10 play off final 1st leg

Those currently at the top of the BSPA must be removed at the AGM They have presided over the worst unorganised season in living memory..More of the same next season could put the final nail in the coffin of british speedway.....

Edited by waco
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Trees said:

I agree all promoters could try harder, I also think that maybe they lose enthusiasm when they are losing money though, what do you want for your money? They all need to look at what the promoters of the Isle of Wight are doing right. 

Decent facilities, clean toilets and a well prepared track for the riders to race on. None of these were on offer during lakeside's stint at Rye. I will still go, because I'm too old to change, but the sport has no chance of attracting a new fan base, to replace the present generation.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

My second visit to Rye since the move -I just cannot take to the place. Yes there are stands/seating but it doesn't appear co-ordinated in any way. Plenty of lights around the track but, in my opinion, they do not illuminate the track effectively: I was watching the riders enter bend one from the tapes and had no idea who was whom. I counted three passes last night (there may have been more that I missed in the dark).

For a meeting of this importance, there was little to no atmosphere - what do you expect on a cold damp late October evening on a track not renowned for good racing? I agree with others, the powers that be have made a complete cods of this season and, realistically, I hold out no hope that they won't do it again.

Good to see that two Friday night impacted teams made it to the final notwithstanding the 'difficulties' placed in their way.

Best wishes to both teams tonight and hope everyone stays safe. Whoever wins will be worthy champions.

• Like 1

What a place !! Awful viewing , awful track ,that monstrosity in the middle of it and more life in my little finger than the crowd last night , no atmosphere whatsoever for a grand final . Should have been called at heat 11, that ref needs to get herself on a Speedway bike see if she could have rode it :rolleyes: 10point lead tonight for the Hammers ...is it enough ?? Mmmmm

• Like 7

Our top  3  are the best in the league but to get a result tonight the rest of the side really need to pull out all the stops ...What is the weather like up there.?. Less than 15 heats are unlikely to help us  , as heats 13 and 15 are our strength,,,,Hopefully a good safe meeting,, and a true result with the best team being crowned  champions........

• Like 1

Just now, waco said:

Our top  3  are the best in the league but to get a result tonight the rest of the side really need to pull out all the stops ...What is the weather like up there.?. Less than 15 heats are unlikely to help us  , as heats 13 and 15 are our strength,,,,Hopefully a good safe meeting,, and a true result with the best team being crowned  champions........

Blue skies and sunshine, a bit cold and frosty over night but set up for a great night of racing! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Taylorj said:

What a place !! Awful viewing , awful track ,that monstrosity in the middle of it and more life in my little finger than the crowd last night , no atmosphere whatsoever for a grand final . Should have been called at heat 11, that ref needs to get herself on a Speedway bike see if she could have rode it :rolleyes: 10point lead tonight for the Hammers ...is it enough ?? Mmmmm

The sad thing is that when Rye won the league in 2005 and 2007 the place was rocking.

Its never been very pretty but the viewing was good and although still a gaters track did produce good racing.

Since the airfence went in its changed a lot and viewing is difficult. Track changes have taken away the technical element and it’s too flat out follow the leader.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, waco said:

Best in the league hahahaha ok if you say so

6 hours ago, waco said:

In a word cold but clear and unlike last night when only 30 mile from Hodderston no snow showers or persistant rain to drve through on the way and I can't disagree with you the Hammers top 3 would be number 1's in most other clubs 7.

Worky will need to be on thier game tonight as this mach is far from over. 84 is the draw so the Hammers need 41 to clinch the title Worky have to restrict 2 of those 3 to less than double figures and not run any last places.

I can see another last heat decider and the law of averages dictate Workingtons run must come to an end soon and with Richard Lawson the Hammers have a rider capable of swinging the meeting in the their favour.

So it might be a cold night but the atmosphere will be red hot I suspect and definitely in my opinion still wide open with the Hammers at present having ever so slightly the upper hand. But we will see

Regards

THJ