British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2019

13 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

Surely they can’t charge more than say..£15 max?

Last year the owner of Sheffield charged £16.00 for adults & £13 for concessions as the same owner at Leicester charged £17.00 & £14 respectively your thoughts of £15.00 max seems a forlorn hope.

7 minutes ago, adonis said:

Wish you would have said this earlier  before they dropped down ,you obviously know more about running a succesful team and making a profit than Damian Bates , there's absolutely no doubt if you had offered to cover the losses with YOUR money , Leicester would still be in the top League , as it is ,unfortunately bates seems to think therers a better chance of keeping speedway running at leicester ,with HIS money in a lower league , 

Not sure how you think I could have known and thus said anything about the decision any sooner. Because DB wanted to wait until after the AGM before deciding on which leagues his two clubs would take part. Then BAM job done. Also, not much point in running any type of business at a loss is there? hence DB and his team of promoters see Leicester in Division two as a way of making profit.  Just a shame they couldn't work out how to promote the sport in the top flight and make profit you know, like good promoters do. Or is that owners?

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 10:09 AM, 1 valve said:

Not sure how you think I could have known and thus said anything about the decision any sooner. Because DB wanted to wait until after the AGM before deciding on which leagues his two clubs would take part. Then BAM job done. Also, not much point in running any type of business at a loss is there? hence DB and his team of promoters see Leicester in Division two as a way of making profit.  Just a shame they couldn't work out how to promote the sport in the top flight and make profit you know, like good promoters do. Or is that owners?

Don’t disagree with your sentiment there at all. With all that’s seemingly going on in British speedway at the moment can any promoter make a profit in the top division?

4 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

Don’t disagree with your sentiment there at all. With all that’s seemingly going on in British speedway at the moment can any promoter make a profit in the top division?

All businesses run properly should be able to make a profit. However it takes a degree of effort to try and maximize whatever potential there is and I think that therein lies a massive problem, certainly with Leicester.  

There lacks a coherent and ongoing strategy to promotion, the result of which we can all speculate on in relation to revenue and potential but in reality we just don't know what it is. Could or would greater promotion lead to greater crowd, sponsors, revenue? 

IMO the answer is obvious and it's easy yo say but there must be a reason why no one tries.

I would say that you can count on one hand the number of rider interviews have been on local radio In the last 8 years. DH used to be on every so often, sometimes weekly for 5 minutes or so but generally there is very little local coverage.

I live within 4 miles and in that 8 years my son has been to local 3 schools, all of which are by definition house the perfect target audience to aim at age wise and location wise. Either once or twice only in that 8 years those schools have been visited neither of which were at secondary school level, the stage before being a paying adult. It may only have been once i can't recall but that first time my son came home wanting to go to the speedway. 

There is a shopping centre next to the speedway and I don't recall ever going there on a weekend and seeing any advert that speedway exists let alone a "this weekend speedway is on....". The footfall at the shopping centre of adults and families is significant. 1% interest would be huge. 

I played cricket for a local team. Another summer sport and another catchment of families and importantly people interested in local sport. Not once that I'm aware of has there been any effort to contact the club to put basic posters up, offer packages or generally make speedway known. I'd be surprised if that was not the case for all local sporting clubs.

Does this effort replicate the effort towards potential sponsors?

How much local engagement has there really been? I'd say very little.

It seems to be that promoting only involves telling those that are there to spread the word or by using social media only. 

Very few meetings have been singularly promoted over the 8 years that I can remember.  One that was was a televised meeting against Swindon and they had to delay the start due to crowds.  That was advertised over a couple of weeks with reduced tickets, food vouchers, free air horns and it was a huge success. It was a sustained and directed promotion. 

Can a promoter make a profit? I'd say they could but it's easy for me to say from the outside looking in.

26 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Matt Bates said he had lost a lot of money at Leicester since he took over, that was the main reason that he wasn't interested in Sheffield going into the PL next season

That’s why Buster investing in three clubs is total madness - 3x the losses and can only end in disaster!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve0 said:

That’s why Buster investing in three clubs is total madness - 3x the losses and can only end in disaster!

I’d say there is no losses at KL how can Buster lose ? no rent takes all Bar and food outlet cash - let’s put another way if KL can’t make money no club will . 

9 hours ago, Haza said:

I’d say there is no losses at KL how can Buster lose ? no rent takes all Bar and food outlet cash - let’s put another way if KL can’t make money no club will . 

I think the point being made is that Chapman has taken on 2 clubs that has to pay stadium rent. Rye House went broke and Leicester crippled themselves financially and they don't have rent to pay. Chapman, financially could end up broke taking on these 2 clubs, which could be a catastrophe for King's Lynn. 

King's Lynn fans need to understand the significance of the huge risks that are on our club if it all goes heavily wrong at Peterborough and Ipswich.

It is one very humongous gamble Chapman has taken. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2018 at 11:24 PM, Glennylion said:

Very few meetings have been singularly promoted over the 8 years that I can remember.  One that was was a televised meeting against Swindon and they had to delay the start due to crowds.  That was advertised over a couple of weeks with reduced tickets, food vouchers, free air horns and it was a huge success. It was a sustained and directed promotion. 

Was it a financial success though?

49 minutes ago, iainb said:

Was it a financial success though?

Very difficult to quantify and I don't know attendance figures or revenue but on the evening, they would have taken thousands more through the gate but it depends on the value of the give aways.

Subsequent attraction for potential sponsors and associated value cannot really known unless the promoter posed relevant questions. 

Whether it attracted new supporters the following week, months or years again I doubt can be quantified without asking questions on the evening or following meetings. It may be that that meeting has generated and continues to generate income like any doubling of attendance may.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:49 PM, 1 valve said:

They don't ? how come?

I think that Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd (a David Helmsley owned company) lease the land on which the speedway stadium is constructed (and the surrounding land including the car park and club house) on a long term lease from Leicester City Council. Presumably the present owner/promoter of the Lions is/are paying a rent to Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd. which will at the very least cover the cost of the annual payments that Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd. are making to the City Council. There are other, better informed, people than me on here who can correct me if I am wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

I think that Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd (a David Helmsley owned company) lease the land on which the speedway stadium is constructed (and the surrounding land including the car park and club house) on a long term lease from Leicester City Council. Presumably the present owner/promoter of the Lions is/are paying a rent to Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd. which will at the very least cover the cost of the annual payments that Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd. are making to the City Council. There are other, better informed, people than me on here who can correct me if I am wrong. 

I believe you are correct and indeed the current owner/promotion do pay a rent hence why I questioned the remark by D. Smith Leicester don't have rent to pay (rent

30 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Why is this thread still active in the Premier Lge section ??? :o

Because they think Buster Chapman will come along any day now on his tractor wearing his suit of armor and buy the club and put it back into the Premiership.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Because they think Buster Chapman will come along any day now on his tractor wearing his suit of armor and buy the club and put it back into the Premiership.

He did that 2 years ago. Must have been a practice run. 

On 11/19/2018 at 1:39 AM, Daniel Smith said:

I think the point being made is that Chapman has taken on 2 clubs that has to pay stadium rent. Rye House went broke and Leicester crippled themselves financially and they don't have rent to pay. Chapman, financially could end up broke taking on these 2 clubs, which could be a catastrophe for King's Lynn. 

King's Lynn fans need to understand the significance of the huge risks that are on our club if it all goes heavily wrong at Peterborough and Ipswich.

It is one very humongous gamble Chapman has taken. 

Think you will find leicester do pay rent ?