British Speedway Forum

Best Race Suit Ever?

IainB

Remember Hans Nielsen at a pre-season practice session at Cowley wearing black leathers before his sponsor's logos were to be added. He later passed on a set to Oxford junior Phil Roberts who wore them for a couple of years before injury forced him to retire.

Halifax's Tom Godel wearing a pair of Dag Lovaas's leathers with the name Dag removed.

Ole Olsen's yellow and orange leathers (c1972) with the Wolves emblem incorporated within the design. His Danish leathers worn during the 1972 World Final.

Edited by steve roberts

53 minutes ago, stevehone said:

Ivan Mauger's Circle Industries red, white, and blue were my favourites for years.

Hans Nielsen in all black with the white ECCO sponsor were cool too

I liked those Nielsen leathers too. As a fan of black, I thought Olsen had some great ones, particularly when he was sponsored by SodaStream.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Ray Wilson's yellow Bostik leathers...

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

Ivan Mauger's Circle Industries red, white, and blue were my favourites for years.

Hans Nielsen in all black with the white ECCO sponsor were cool too

I remember painting all those sponsors logos on a Britain's Speedway Rider model to resemble Hans.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, iainb said:

I seem to recall Preben Eriksen had a nice set of orange leathers... And an even better van :lol:

Didn't Preben Eriksen have "Lose wieght (sic) now, ask me how" written on his backside?

Think Eriksen was sponsored by some energy / health product at that time, he certainly did have a memorable design on his van at that time though.  I recall Hans Nielsen had a set of (none more) black leathers with the Danish flag across the shoulders and back that were stolen and at the practice of one World Champs meet at White City (1980?) he was seen wearing a set borrowed from Bruce Penhall...

Edited by martinmauger
spelling, sigh.

33 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Think Eriksen was sponsored by some energy / health product at that time, he certainly did have a memorable design on his van at that time though.  I recall Hans Nielsen had a set of (none more) black leathers with the Danish flag across the shoulders and back that were stolen and at the practice of one World Champs meet at White City (1980?) he was seen wearing a set borrowed from Bruce Penhall...

Herbalife, I think.

Just now, iainb said:

That's right... I always get mixed up between that and Dianetics... Which I think Rob Pfetzing was involved with

I think Dianetics sponsored Wolverhampton too, for a while.

On 22 October 2018 at 11:15 AM, iainb said:

I seem to recall Preben Eriksen had a nice set of orange leathers... And an even better van :lol:

Never saw the van in person but have seen an image of it...scantily clad young lady!

29 minutes ago, gee jay said:

always loved the arm tassles myself , gary havelock was another , in his bradford days likewise shaun the prawn wilson.

Bob Kilby, Doug Wyer and Dave Jessup also!

• Like 1