British Speedway Forum

AGM November 2018

17 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Ipswich must be one of them.

Speaking with a referee recently and he suggested 2 northern clubs including one which had fingers burned a number of years ago.

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The way Chris Louis was talking, i thought they were up for it.

They could be. I'm just assuming pirates of Poole is on about the same 2 clubs I've heard which are glasgow and Sheffield. 

But Sheffield already signed a rider for championship so possibly replace them with Ipswich maybe

What I fear most about more teams coming up is that it will water for  the product once again. Overall team average will come down no doubt. 

Should be 45 still. Why do clubs have to accommodate teams that refuse to speculate to accumulate and set themselves low budgets. 

Set it high. And if u can build a team to that limit great. If you can't. Tough, someone has to.finish bottom every year. 

18 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

They could be. I'm just assuming pirates of Poole is on about the same 2 clubs I've heard which are glasgow and Sheffield. 

But Sheffield already signed a rider for championship so possibly replace them with Ipswich maybe

What I fear most about more teams coming up is that it will water for  the product once again. Overall team average will come down no doubt. 

Should be 45 still. Why do clubs have to accommodate teams that refuse to speculate to accumulate and set themselves low budgets. 

Set it high. And if u can build a team to that limit great. If you can't. Tough, someone has to.finish bottom every year. 

Without a doubt, it will be watered down. Weaken the product and increase the admission price. A recipe for disaster.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Easy to say when you are one of the teams building with the higher budgets and finishing towards the top end

I wonder how those at the top would feel though if the Facennas at Glasgow and Guy Nicholls via Tru7 at Ipswich came in all guns blazing and went onto another level (both probably could if they wished)

Would those then playing catch up rather than being top dogs then change their tune?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Easy to say when you are one of the teams building with the higher budgets and finishing towards the top end

I wonder how those at the top would feel though if the Facennas at Glasgow and Guy Nicholls via Tru7 at Ipswich came in all guns blazing and went onto another level (both probably could if they wished)

Would those then playing catch up rather than being top dogs then change their tune?

They would relish the challenge I should imagine

Poole wolves and belle vue don't want a points limit. They would love some other big hitters in to try and improve the TOP league

Watering down the league every year hasn't helped with crowd levels. So let's try and build really good teams. 

I'm not stupid though I know that's not going to be a turning point for speedway in this country. The problems are much deeper 

• Like 2

I wonder though Phil if those that dont want a points limit now is because they are the ones that could dominate as it stands now

Guy Nicholls has probably spent more on new plant for his Tru business this month that Matt Fords full asking price for Poole 

So far he hasnt been inclined to buy a club largely due to the restrictions in place

If there were none he may do it and then Id guess perhaps some of those advocating a free reign would not be so keen

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I wonder though Phil if those that dont want a points limit now is because they are the ones that could dominate as it stands now

Guy Nicholls has probably spent more on new plant for his Tru business this month that Matt Fords full asking price for Poole 

So far he hasnt been inclined to buy a club largely due to the restrictions in place

If there were none he may do it and then Id guess perhaps some of those advocating a free reign would not be so keen

If the promoters do feel like that and they don't relish the competition then they don't deserve to be in the competition 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

If the promoters do feel like that and they don't relish the competition then they don't deserve to be in the competition 

Would be great if it could get towards that level of competition and not just from a position of individual benevolence but to have that as a sustainable business proposition

Thats the dream anyway.....

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

With the money Guy has spent on Plant this month he could probably buy British speedway....... Now there a though! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Without a doubt, it will be watered down. Weaken the product and increase the admission price. A recipe for disaster.

I am not sure about that...

Just because the same business plan has been used for the past fifteen years or so and failed, doesn't mean it won't be a roaring success this time...!

Maybe one day, British Speedway will be revered the World over as being one of a very select group who have proved Einstein wrong...

:D

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Spl77 said:

With the money Guy has spent on Plant this month he could probably buy British speedway....... Now there a though! 

Don't think that he nor anyone else with good business sense ( and the resources ) would buy a club at this point in time. It would be an asset of diminishing value ( unless you owned the stadium and land and could develop it for housing at a later date ). There seems very little real profit in currently owning and running a speedway club as the public has voted with its feet. A Thumbs Down from your likely customers is a very poor incentive to buy into the Uk speedway business.

On 10/16/2018 at 10:49 AM, Skidder1 said:

In the Redcar report in last week's Speedway Star it said the AGM was 'in Chepstow in early November'!!

So I would guess 9th-11th November?

....or maybe the weekend after ie 16th-18th November now that Wolves have arranged their 'talk-in' for Monday 19th!?