British Speedway Forum

AGM November 2018

34 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Far too sensible an idea to catch on.

By the way, I came to an early meeting at Lynn and they had "hot heats" or whatever it was called. I thought it was quite interesting, although could have been organised a bit better. 

As Robin Brundle said at the time, in other forms of motor sport you can official practice sessions before a race.

A few weeks later I came again and no hot heats  - and I never saw any at any subsequent meetings I came to (although not every week). 

Did they just not do them when I was there or were they dropped altogether?

Think the "hot heats" were dropped because Kings Lynn were not giving the away side the same opportunity to be on the track prior to heat 1 which quite rightly was deemed to be unfair.

Just to clarify the earlier post which you responded to- the grading breaks in Poland are after heat 4, 7 , 10 and 13 with the longest break after heat 13 so that the nominations for heats 14 and 15 are made.

16 hours ago, mikebv said:

Or allow guest fans?

Or just simply stick to asking those who still go to "Bring a Friend"...:D

One upside of the aging demographic of the speedway fan is that soon they'll be bringing their carers along, it might just save the sport :D

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, iainb said:

One upside of the aging demographic of the speedway fan is that soon they'll be bringing their carers along, it might just save the sport :D

25 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Do you mean carers? But If someone had a career in marketing, that could help! :D

Taking a carer along might not be a bad idea, could use somebody to stand in the food/beer queue ensuring i don't miss any of the speedway action.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, g13webb said:

Midway though the meeting there could be a set of races for youngsters starting out , before the climate at the end of the night.  

I am not so sure that's a good idea. What if the air fence got damaged and held up the main match half way through? Like you say the meeting needs to flow but the league match is what the majority of us want to see so that should be run through without any interruptions. I even get fed up with all the track grading as I don't think half of it is necessary. :D

27 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I am not so sure that's a good idea. What if the air fence got damaged and held up the main match half way through? Like you say the meeting needs to flow but the league match is what the majority of us want to see so that should be run through without any interruptions. I even get fed up with all the track grading as I don't think half of it is necessary. :D

I must be one of the few that does not mind track grading.At Belle vue the grading keeps the dirt where it should be and helps to produce some awesome racing.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Personally i like additional races taking place throughout the meeting BUT in reality it is a big risk, im certain some refs don't allow it and there would eventually be crashes that cause delays due to track damage or paramedic attention. I think IOW's season finale was ended early due to something like that.

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

The club can always run these meetings after the main meeting, and any fans that want to get away early can leave after the main meeting.  This is what used to happen, after the main meeting a few races for juniors or any riders that wanted to test out bikes etc, or the club checking out a new rider. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, bruno said:

One Belle Vue meeting i went to they had track grading after more or less every couple of heats however nearly every single race was a good one. No complaints from anyone then

And I bet the meeting still finished at approx 21:00/21:15

3 hours ago, B.V 72 said:

I must be one of the few that does not mind track grading.At Belle vue the grading keeps the dirt where it should be and helps to produce some awesome racing.

Same here...gave a chance to talk tactics etc with one's mates on the terraces.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The club can always run these meetings after the main meeting, and any fans that want to get away early can leave after the main meeting.  This is what used to happen, after the main meeting a few races for juniors or any riders that wanted to test out bikes etc, or the club checking out a new rider. 

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Same here...gave a chance to talk tactics etc with one's mates on the terraces.

Must admit I can't understand the mentality of folks on here who go to speedway, who are looking to get away from the meeting as soon as possible. At the end of the day it's a night out, and as long as the meeting is progressing at a decent pace, what's there to complain about. What's wrong with grading, unless it is long winded, after the grading the track should be better to then maintain a similar  standard to keep to decent racing. At Newcastle we always aim to have 6 races( 125 and 500 3 races each) after every meeting with invited riders, that is when we do not have an NJL meeting which takes up about 6 or 7 second halfs in the season.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

The only "hot heats" I saw was against Belle Vue - and the Aces had their turn on track. To be fair, they didn't look very interested, by and large.

'Hot laps' were stopped by the SCB I believe because of insurance.... 

31 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Must admit I can't understand the mentality of folks on here who go to speedway, who are looking to get away from the meeting as soon as possible. At the end of the day it's a night out, and as long as the meeting is progressing at a decent pace, what's there to complain about. What's wrong with grading, unless it is long winded, after the grading the track should be better to then maintain a similar  standard to keep to decent racing. At Newcastle we always aim to have 6 races( 125 and 500 3 races each) after every meeting with invited riders, that is when we do not have an NJL meeting which takes up about 6 or 7 second halfs in the season.

At certain times of the season standing on the bends at Blunsdon while the riders muck about or the ref has multiple restarts from the tapes or other forms of wasting time and a meeting takes 2 hr 30 mins in the cold wind that Blunsdon gets, many do want to get away and some leave before the end of the meeting. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Agree...those that don't wish to stay on after the main event can please themselves. I used to enjoy second halves...certainly during Oxford's tie up with sister clubs Eastbourne and Peterborough. Also when 'The Cheetahs' competeted in the National League it was interesting watching untried new talent. Night out at the speedway was what I enjoyed and a chance to meet up with mates and have a good chat. As long as the whole thing was wrapped up by ten.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I like nothing better than standing around for about 3 hours on a cold wet night in October.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

I like nothing better than standing around for about 3 hours on a cold wet night in October.

Neither do I, but !!!!!!!   Second half is free if you want it. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Those nights rarely exist these days! Freezing cold October nights, nah haven't experienced one of those lately! And if you have, what a successful year your club has had yayyyy! 

• Like 1