British Speedway Forum

All Clubs are For Sale

4 hours ago, CottonOn said:

No they're not.

4 hours ago, CottonOn said:

No they're not.

Current assets are things which are either cash or will be quickly turned into cash.    e.g. Debtors, Stocks and WIP, Bank accounts, short term loans, and cash in hand.

If anyone were to list riders contracts as assets, they would be listed as Fixed assets and amortised over their expected useful life... but why would anyone do this when they can write the whole lot off to P&L at the time of purchase?

Mate, please don't tell me "No they're not", go into Companies House website, get the accounts for Slade Tipton Ltd, look at the Balance Sheet for 28 February 2017 and look at note 8 for said Balance Sheet. Then come back and apologise.

I didn't say any of it was correct in it's  accounting treatment - I answered a question with facts of how IT IS being shown in UNAUDITED accounts. Like most things in Speedway, club accounts are far from uniform.

28 minutes ago, MattK said:

It is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. Given that I find it hard to believe there is a club in British speedway which hasn't made a loss over the last five years, the value of every club is zero. You are effectively buying an expensive hobby.

Dead right. If and when you can find any accounts for a Speedway Club, you will find mostly unaudited, abbreviated accounts which comprise Balance Sheets only, no P&Ls.

And in most of these the Nett Worth is declining each year, which would suggest losses year on year.

I recall Bob Dugard being asked what return an investor or buyer could expect if buying into a Speedway Club, he laughed and said it was as the other way round, you put your hand into your pocket.

And for what it's worth (no pun intended) the Poole Accounts are very abbreviated (Micro Company Accounts) showing Capital & Reserves of :

Feb 2018 £76,881

Feb 2017 £97,815

Feb 2016 £101,625

Feb 2015 £78,160

Feb 2014 £78,701

The last time they showed any detail around assets there was a value of £24,667 for Intangible Assets in 2016.  

18 minutes ago, woofers said:

And for what it's worth (no pun intended) the Poole Accounts are very abbreviated (Micro Company Accounts) showing Capital & Reserves of :

Feb 2018 £76,881

Feb 2017 £97,815

Feb 2016 £101,625

Feb 2015 £78,160

Feb 2014 £78,701

The last time they showed any detail around assets there was a value of £24,667 for Intangible Assets in 2016.  

Quote M Ford:

"It's a great club," he added. "It's well run and it makes a profit, which is unusual in any form of sport.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/speedway/45823480

One out the last four years ain't bad is it?

13 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

The Poole riders are the jammy ones getting to go to the Abu Dhabi F1 GP!! :D

Ironically on this occasion ALL of them will be guests...:D

I take it all are available for this?  Any of them due on another pre planned break at the same time elsewhere in the World?...

If they did need to invite replacements, would their luggage need to weigh less than the rider they are replacing or as it will be a big plane can they carry an extra 5% more.?

I'll get me coat..:rolleyes::D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, miadfa8 said:

Quote M Ford:

"It's a great club," he added. "It's well run and it makes a profit, which is unusual in any form of sport.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/speedway/45823480

One out the last four years ain't bad is it?

It hasn't necessarily made a loss every other year though. For example:

Capital and reserves:

Year ended 28 Feb 2017 - £97,815

Year ended 28 Feb 2018 - £76,881

You may automatically think the company's made a loss of £20,934 in the most recent year. However, it's entirely possible it made a profit of, say, £4,066 but the directors then decided to pay out dividends of £25K. As the company has positive reserves, they are more than entitled to do so.

The problem with these types of accounts is too many things can be hidden. But that's the legislation's fault, not that of the companies themselves.

15 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

It hasn't necessarily made a loss every other year though. For example:

Capital and reserves:

Year ended 28 Feb 2017 - £97,815

Year ended 28 Feb 2018 - £76,881

You may automatically think the company's made a loss of £20,934 in the most recent year. However, it's entirely possible it made a profit of, say, £4,066 but the directors then decided to pay out dividends of £25K. As the company has positive reserves, they are more than entitled to do so.

The problem with these types of accounts is too many things can be hidden. But that's the legislation's fault, not that of the companies themselves.

I didn’t think you could pay more dividend than profit? e.g. it could only pay a dividend based on the profit, in your example, £4066?

On 10/12/2018 at 9:51 PM, woofers said:

Mate, please don't tell me "No they're not", go into Companies House website, get the accounts for Slade Tipton Ltd, look at the Balance Sheet for 28 February 2017 and look at note 8 for said Balance Sheet. Then come back and apologise.

Does that include Sam Ermolenko, Ronnie Correy and all of the Karlsson's?

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, Steve0 said:

“Assets” that you believe have a perceived value have no value at all under the Bosman ruling.  If they have no long term contract then they are not assets.  Speedway has been flouting this law for years and it is illegal. It takes just one rider to challenge the asset system and it falls apart.  Anyone interested in purchasing a speedway club should bear that in mind!  Commercial partners may have some value depending on what their contracts say.

I used to think that the asset system was illegal under the Bosman ruling but I now believe that this is incorrect. The clubs only own the league registration not the rider. The rider is free to ride for any club that he wants. He can refuse to ride for the club that owns the asset, as Kyle Howarth has done in the past & probably many other riders have also done so in the past. The difference between this & football was that the football player was not free to do this. Speedway riders are classed as self employed, unlike footballers who are employees of the club.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:55 PM, lisa-colette said:

Plenty of them in Sandbanks ;)

..............and I bet they wouldn't go anywhere near a speedway club! They are not daft - that's why they are multi millionaires!! :P

21 hours ago, robins les said:

I used to think that the asset system was illegal under the Bosman ruling but I now believe that this is incorrect. The clubs only own the league registration not the rider. The rider is free to ride for any club that he wants. He can refuse to ride for the club that owns the asset, as Kyle Howarth has done in the past & probably many other riders have also done so in the past. The difference between this & football was that the football player was not free to do this. Speedway riders are classed as self employed, unlike footballers who are employees of the club.

That may be true. However if they can still ride anywhere they wish and are self employed then surely they have no monetary valve to the business?