British Speedway Forum

Is This The Worse Team Ever To Win The League?

19 hours ago, Grachan said:

When you look at Cradley Heath 1983, I don't think there will ever be a team to top that. Just the sheer quality in that side - not even from 1-7 but they had Simon Cross at no 8 instead.

Four riders with averages over 9. Two riders over 8. And at number 7, with an average over 7, was World Champ to be, Jan O. Pedersen.

Just a remarkable line-up.

And the other reserve (Peter ravn) made that year's world final as reserve. Including Ravn they had 4 world finalists that year, the others would ride in a world final within the next two seasons. Aces still beat them in the premiership though!

By far the best team I've seen, built I believe to a 50pt limit.

A better side imo than the unbeaten Oxford team of 86 that was built to 45 with a compulsory junior. 

20 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

And the other reserve (Peter ravn) made that year's world final as reserve. Including Ravn they had 4 world finalists that year, the others would ride in a world final within the next two seasons. Aces still beat them in the premiership though!

By far the best team I've seen, built I believe to a 50pt limit.

A better side imo than the unbeaten Oxford team of 86 that was built to 45 with a compulsory junior. 

Did Alan Grahame ever make a World Final?

I think the points limit was 48 at that time, but sure that, in itself, would make them a better side than the Oxford side with a compulsory junior. It depends if you compare them to others in the same year or as an individual side I guess.

The 1980s points limits certainly led to dominant sides. Coventry had a couple too where they were easy league winners. I guess that's one reason the limits kept coming down as other sides tried to compete.

8 hours ago, Grachan said:

Did Alan Grahame ever make a World Final?

I think the points limit was 48 at that time, but sure that, in itself, would make them a better side than the Oxford side with a compulsory junior. It depends if you compare them to others in the same year or as an individual side I guess.

The 1980s points limits certainly led to dominant sides. Coventry had a couple too where they were easy league winners. I guess that's one reason the limits kept coming down as other sides tried to compete.

Was definitely higher than 48 limit in 83. It may have cone down to 48 in 1984. It may even have been 51in 83.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:15 PM, Sherborne Green said:

Agree there are no Turbo Twins anymore but the top riders have abandoned GB.

Poole beat the best of the rest.

Why not accept that we have what we have.

I wouldn't call a patched up team the best of the rest.

The records will show Poole as 2018 league champions, the question was, are they the worst team ever win the league. IMHO yes.

1 hour ago, hyderd said:

The records will show Poole as 2018 league champions, the question was, are they the worst team ever win the league. IMHO yes.

That’s being pretty disrespectful of the other hard working teams who lost to Poole in some hard fought matches. 

6 hours ago, hyderd said:

Everyone is entitled to their own oplnion.

This is the weakest top level league we have seen in this country.

Riders now ride for so many teams around Europe They are bound to get more injuries leaving a weak league with R/R and or Guest riding nearly every match.

Remember when a rider only rode for your team. That's when you really got team spirit. 

So yes with this weak league the team that won it probably are the weakest there has been and would not have beate past winning teas.

Whilst we all know Poole are champions they certainly had lady luck on their side, and as we know any team that has bad luck wins nothing. From the moment Rye closed down and Chris Harris went to Poole the writing was on the wall. Poole certainly benefitted in a perverse way from the injuries to two key riders and that is the way it goes sometimes. That is the truth of the matter.

13 minutes ago, one of clubs said:

Whilst we all know Poole are champions they certainly had lady luck on their side, and as we know any team that has bad luck wins nothing. From the moment Rye closed down and Chris Harris went to Poole the writing was on the wall. Poole certainly benefitted in a perverse way from the injuries to two key riders and that is the way it goes sometimes. That is the truth of the matter.

Agreed, also got lucky that Harris couldn't sign for Somerset and Klindt was very close to signing for Leicester before we got him. 

17 minutes ago, one of clubs said:

Perverse way? That’s unfair. Poole had no say in Iversen crashing in Poland the day before. MPT/Jakobsen was just a typical racing incident and which normally results in both riders walking away. There was no malice in Jakobsens move. 

Rye closing down had nothing to do with Poole. All to do with Rye paying riders a wage rather than points money causing them to go bust. Harris to Poole absolutely made us the best team in the league.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, one of clubs said:

Poole wasn't the only team to benefit from Rye's misfortune. Summers gave Somerset extra strength at reserve which almost paid off but for Holder's injury. 

Let's be honest, Harris is on a huge slide in the Speedway world. Poole did well to get a tune out of Harris at all.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Poole wasn't the only team to benefit from Rye's misfortune. Summers gave Somerset extra strength at reserve which almost paid off but for Holder's injury. 

Let's be honest, Harris is on a huge slide in the Speedway world. Poole did well to get a tune out of Harris at all.

My previous posts shows why Harris did well. At Rye he wasn’t paid by the point. He was paid to turn up and ride in 4 or 5 heats. It didn’t matter if he scored 2 or 15. He still got the same wage until the money ran out.

At Poole he was paid by the point. No points no money. Focuses the brain. He also picked up some decent sponsorship in the short time he rode for the club. Re-vitalised him no end.

21 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

My previous posts shows why Harris did well. At Rye he wasn’t paid by the point. He was paid to turn up and ride in 4 or 5 heats. It didn’t matter if he scored 2 or 15. He still got the same wage until the money ran out.

At Poole he was paid by the point. No points no money. Focuses the brain. He also picked up some decent sponsorship in the short time he rode for the club. Re-vitalised him no end.

Not strictly true SS but I take your point!!! (NB Bomber still owed for 9 Rye House meetings!!)

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Points money all the way through the team imho. More to " better" riders, but pay as you earn all the way..

On 10/20/2018 at 8:23 PM, bruno said:

I don't think the comparison is with the other 2018 teams but the team's who have won the league in the past. I'd say yes they are because the league is with it weaker this year

Not to mention the 13 riders in their "team" that they used to win the title and that's not including guests!