British Speedway Forum

Is This The Worse Team Ever To Win The League?

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The Belle Vue team from 1972 was very strong with a heat leader trio of Collins, Mauger and Sjosten.

Those were the days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Is that the same 'past his best' Chris Harris that came from behind to beat the then 'World Champion' in the final heat of the semi-final play off....to secure his team victory?

Yes....and? He's still a good rider, but if Chris Harris of 2007 was number one they'd be a lot stronger.

53 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The Belle Vue team from 1972 was very strong with a heat leader trio of Collins, Mauger and Sjosten.

Good team, just before my time... Ippo98 had the world's 1, 3 and 5

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

When you look at Cradley Heath 1983, I don't think there will ever be a team to top that. Just the sheer quality in that side - not even from 1-7 but they had Simon Cross at no 8 instead.

Four riders with averages over 9. Two riders over 8. And at number 7, with an average over 7, was World Champ to be, Jan O. Pedersen.

Just a remarkable line-up.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Grachan said:

When you look at Cradley Heath 1983, I don't think there will ever be a team to top that. Just the sheer quality in that side - not even from 1-7 but they had Simon Cross at no 8 instead.

Four riders with averages over 9. Two riders over 8. And at number 7, with an average over 7, was World Champ to be, Jan O. Pedersen.

And Pete Adams as manger!

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Despite my heart saying Ipswich 98 my head agrees with Cradley 83

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Happy Days! :)  But wasn't there an Oxford team that went all season without a single defeat?

3 minutes ago, Col said:

Happy Days! :)  But wasn't there an Oxford team that went all season without a single defeat?

proper speedway....even kings lynn had boyce, leigh, crump, parker and won nothing! people are not thick, they know when they getting short changed, and these riders just no longer attractive. doubling up killed it

8 hours ago, Pinny said:

I doubt any buyer would careless about the rest of the clubs in the UK, Poole Speedway with the crowds they get will be a profitable buisness.

its like saying pubs are dying so I wont buy a pub thats busy all the time and has madr money annually for the last 20 years, because other pubs are dying and closing.

speedway promoters do not lose as much money as they say, every year the likes of Dave Tatum at Stoke say hes lost a fortune yet still the next season Stoke are running under his promotion. It just doesnt wash with me. And the same with a number of clubs. 

Poole Speedway regulary attracts over a thousand paying customers a week , unless Ford asks for silly amounts of money then it would be an attractive buisness venture for someone.

Your pub analogy is fundamentally flawed because one pub does not depend on the existence or otherwise of another. - whereas a speedway club does depend on other clubs.  No point in being well supported if you have no one to race against.  Also, a lot of people tend to pick and choose meetings they attend depending on who they are racing against and what competition it is for e.g. the KO Cup fails to attract the same level of support as league racing and some people do not bother going to see some of the weaker teams either.  The business model for speedway is a precarious one in the current climate which is why there won’t be a big queue of interested parties IMHO.

12 minutes ago, Col said:

Not sure, although they had a few years of domination before the points limits finally caught up with them. I know there was a season when Hans Nielsen went undefeated away from home.

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I was there for that as well! Didn't they get Gollob in on a 6 point average? 

7.5 - which at the time was the entry average for new GP standard riders

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

Your pub analogy is fundamentally flawed because one pub does not depend on the existence or otherwise of another. - whereas a speedway club does depend on other clubs.  No point in being well supported if you have no one to race against.  Also, a lot of people tend to pick and choose meetings they attend depending on who they are racing against and what competition it is for e.g. the KO Cup fails to attract the same level of support as league racing and some people do not bother going to see some of the weaker teams either.  The business model for speedway is a precarious one in the current climate which is why there won’t be a big queue of interested parties IMHO.

Correct...

No point in buying into a business where all the businesses around you are closing down..

Retail businesses often close due to foot fall dropping due to other outlets adjacent going bust...

Put Simply, Team Speedway needs teams (and a wide variety to maintain interest)...

The Sport desperately needs a clear direction and an injection of radical ideas...

With I would suggest a collective 'Brand Speedway' marketing plan...

Instead of individually paying thousands out each week to riders who put hardly a bottom on a seat, pay a marketing company to achieve exactly that..

Work together and not against each other...

It might already be too late but has to be worth a go..

• Like 4

22 hours ago, jrs said:

Ford probably thinks it's time to get out whilst the business still has some value left in it.

And I doubt he wants to stay around and try to help speedway in the UK recover from the mess that he has contributed to in a big way this century.

So you are pretty much saying that the current state of British speedway is mainly Matt Ford's fault ? Utterly utterly staggering, the absolute drivel that all you poole haters spout on this site is mind blowing! What a sorry, sad bunch you all are.  If there were a few more Matt Ford's about British speedway would not be in it's current state, FACT !  As some posters say on here, the product is getting watered down every year, something Matt Ford has been opposed to for many seasons, and if he  is still around next season, trust me, Poole will again be the team to beat because he wants to provide his customers with a winning team, it's called SPORT!!!  Maybe Poole did get a little lucky this year, but guess what, the harder you try the luckier you get !!!!

Edited by STEVENGREEN739
  • Like 1