British Speedway Forum

Peterborough v Lakeside KOC, CS SF & Play Off SF 6th/7th Oct

10 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Speculation now over and all seems perfectly reasonable to me

Wonder if anyone will look to argue that a planned operation doesnt count as being injured......

Reading the announcement it sounds as though he is at the mercy of the NHS and although a planned and not emergency operation I doubt he has any control or choice in the matter.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, maneacat said:

Reading the announcement it sounds as though he is at the mercy of the NHS and although a planned and not emergency operation I doubt he has any control or choice in the matter.  

Absolutely - and nothing is more important than your health and wellbeing so cant blame him at all for going with it

• Like 4

12 hours ago, maneacat said:

I wouldn't fully agree with that. If you're prepared to pay for a minor op, as the news item says was considered, I'd say that you can pick your date going private.

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

I wouldn't fully agree with that. If you're prepared to pay for a minor op, as the news item says was considered, I'd say that you can pick your date going private.

Yes of course but who would pay if BWD couldn’t afford it - Peterborough or Somerset or both?  Even if it’s classed as “minor” if a General anaesthetic is required and maybe 1 or 2 overnight stay in a Private hospital that does not come cheap.   He is obviously going down the NHS route and along with that are many rules and conditions I’m sure - maybe someone who is familiar with them can enlighten us but I doubt it’s simple to just cancel the date given and say sorry but I can’t make that date please re-arrange - maybe he has already and this is final date offered to him.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maneacat said:

Yes of course but who would pay if BWD couldn’t afford it - Peterborough or Somerset or both?  Even if it’s classed as “minor” if a General anaesthetic is required and maybe 1 or 2 overnight stay in a Private hospital that does not come cheap.   He is obviously going down the NHS route and along with that are many rules and conditions I’m sure - maybe someone who is familiar with them can enlighten us but I doubt it’s simple to just cancel the date given and say sorry but I can’t make that date please re-arrange - maybe he has already and this is final date offered to him.  

Cost or responsibility isn't mentioned so who knows. It just says timescale and I'm not sure what that means in this situation, I wouldn't imagine that the rules around non urgent surgery would be too strict and the NHS seems to cancel such things at very short notice themselves. If you had a similar problem known about in June but you were going abroad for a month in September then wouldn't you say that you can't attend at that time. I'm sure that it would be noted and agreed that you'd be fitted in before or after. Likewise if you're a UK sportsman from March to October then wouldn't you mention that and fit it in during the close season as I recall happening on other occasions in the past. If it's causing pain then asap is very important but there's no mention of that and BWD rode very well on Sunday on a track that would certainly pull hard on a damaged shoulder, although removal of plate and screws suggests that it has healed but will need rest afterwards for the rest of our season would be my guess. Anyway, it is what it is and that's not going to change.

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Cost or responsibility isn't mentioned so who knows. It just says timescale and I'm not sure what that means in this situation, I wouldn't imagine that the rules around non urgent surgery would be too strict and the NHS seems to cancel such things at very short notice themselves. If you had a similar problem known about in June but you were going abroad for a month in September then wouldn't you say that you can't attend at that time. I'm sure that it would be noted and agreed that you'd be fitted in before or after. Likewise if you're a UK sportsman from March to October then wouldn't you mention that and fit it in during the close season as I recall happening on other occasions in the past. If it's causing pain then asap is very important but there's no mention of that and BWD rode very well on Sunday on a track that would certainly pull hard on a damaged shoulder, although removal of plate and screws suggests that it has healed but will need rest afterwards for the rest of our season would be my guess. Anyway, it is what it is and that's not going to change.

Saturday's fixture is now a double-header. No start time yet announced but let's hope they have the sense to start at 6pm this time.

57 minutes ago, tocha said:

Saturday's fixture is now a double-header. No start time yet announced but let's hope they have the sense to start at 6pm this time.

This is worse than last time because unless you pay to have a selection of riders on standby if someone gets injured in the first match that team will be buggered for the second, and with both set to run rider replacement? it will mean the matches are bound to take an eternity to run, easily another 11pm finish.

I wont be attending, that's for sure.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, marko said:

This is worse than last time because unless you pay to have a selection of riders on standby if someone gets injured in the first match that team will be buggered for the second, and with both set to run rider replacement? it will mean the matches are bound to take an eternity to run, easily another 11pm finish.

I wont be attending, that's for sure.

I understand the start time is  7pm , cost for couple to see two understrength teams with r/r and or  guests will be £50 plus !!!

Edited by wealdstone
  • Sad 1

The "business end" of the season degenerating into pure farce.  

Two teams both operating the "rider Replacement" , (and Leaside's Zach W presumably still doubtful? )  Ulrich O still not fully fit , and Peterboro using a gust for Scotty Nicholls.

Both sides heading into a "less than ideal"**  double header racing the same side twice with 6 riders on parade.  Seems almost acceptable that same side double headers take place.

From the fans entertainment viewpoint a 7pm start is a poor decision - given Leaside's proven inability to run a meeting in under 2 hours - will be at least an 11pm finish after the delays with R/R and the selfish track curator who indulges in obsessive tractor grading. 

I thought my enthusiasm to watch the Hammers would be rekindled by the p. offs, just to make the trip to see  a meeting at Hoddesdon - once again I am left disillusioned.

** quote from our illustrious promoter  Jon Cook.