British Speedway Forum

Wolves 2019

Yampy

3 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

It’s difficult to judge any team until all teams complete. But Wolves look strong so far, Peterborough on paper also imho.

It is but Peterborough are complete, so it’s possible to make a judgement imo.

Let’s see what happens over the season.

8 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

So you keep saying, but and it’s a big but only you and Sidney seem to think so

Like I said yesterday I don’t mind being in the minority. 

Quite often we look at teams that seem strong on paper but don’t deliver on the track. Personally it’s the other way around for me, I don’t think Peterborough look particularly strong on paper, maybe they will surprise on the track.

Edited by acef

4 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I think this team looks the one to beat of those that have been announced. 

Wolves will easily make play offs imo but as I say, I think a lot rides on whether they choose Jacob or Pawliki. That could be a really crucial difference. 

21 minutes ago, acef said:

Wolves will easily make play offs imo but as I say, I think a lot rides on whether they choose Jacob or Pawliki. That could be a really crucial difference. 

So you've looked at Peterboroughs  line up and Wolves possibly 7 , and you still think Aces look stronger ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WestGorton1884 said:

So you've looked at Peterboroughs  line up and Wolves possibly 7 , and you still think Aces look stronger ? 

I do yes. It’s funny how much noise this is making. It’s just an opinion. I believe that bv are stronger than Peterborough and that is all there is to it. Doesn’t mean anyone is right or wrong or that anyone or needs to be convinced otherwise.

Edited by acef

4 hours ago, acef said:

I understood it.

As a number 1, in an 8 team league, 6th isn’t anything to shout about imo. 

He had some good meetings, but was inconsistent for a number 1 and nowhere the level of Freddie.

If you get Pawliki you’ve got yourself a proper number 1

He wasn't a Number one,

On 12/20/2018 at 3:16 AM, INCOGNITO said:

Would you not consider Pawlicki as a rider that is a true number one and a rider capable of winning big races away.

Incognito I don't get around much speedway tracks-wise, what is it about UK tracks that riders like Pawlicki consider to be sub-standard?

12 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

Riding at 1 or 5 was always going to be a step too far for decent job. Although, to be fair, I predicted a 2 point collapse in his average but he surprised me and only lost around 1.5 points, hence some wolves fan applauding his 'decent job'. As for being in the top six away averages when not riding all season at 1 or 5 in 2017, in 2018 the flakey bachelor was in the top three! Which sort of puts the 'achievement' into perspective.

Someone mentioned cook in the discussion? 

In what was generally considered a poor season, riding at 1 or 5 all season the only opposing riders to have higher away averages than cook were Lambert and Doyle and he only lost around 0.5 off his overall average. Compared to the predictably floundering thorsell cook really did do a decent job in 2018!

I think Belle Vue should have found the money to keep cook and looked elsewhere for the required cash and point savings. Provided he has the right frame of mind I reckon he will have a great 2019. I think decent job will do okay as well.

I actually think you underate Jacob he was coming off a nasty injury and all in all his figures were not that bad.He actually impressed me at the Abbey he was quick and forceful.I see him averaging 7.80/8 this year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BWitcher said:

No he wasn't. Not in the year Stevebrum was quoting.

Ah right so the year he had the inflated average. Okay.

As Fred has accurately described, when in a leading number in the team he hasn’t been all that.

Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

14 hours ago, acef said:

I do yes. It’s funny how much noise this is making. It’s just an opinion. I believe that bv are stronger than Peterborough and that is all there is to it. Doesn’t mean anyone is right or wrong or that anyone or needs to be convinced otherwise.

I don't think its making any noise ?, its all about opinions , i definitely respect yours , 

My opinion is there's too many question marks regarding BV line up , (Bewley / Worrall fitness , will we get the 2017 Bjerre or last years? ,Lydsey inexperience, etc )..

Wolves look really strong also, Nick Morris could be signing of the season on that average , and if they get Thorsell back I'd have them as favorites 

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

He won't be riding  at number 1 though so I would expect him to increase his average substantially.

He won’t that’s right. And that has been my point all along. If they sign Pawliki he will be a number 1 even though he may not start there. First set of averages he’s the number 1 and can guarantee he will stay there. Thorssell won’t.

Which makes wolves stronger. My initial point about this team was that it doesn’t have a number 1.

1 hour ago, acef said:

Ah right so the year he had the inflated average. Okay.

As Fred has accurately described, when in a leading number in the team he hasn’t been all that.

Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

My only point about your comment was that you said he is usually poor on away tracks which we have dispelled as him having some poor away meetings but generally decent away from home.

He has only been number one once at Wolves in his career and proved in 2018 he isn’t a number one rider yet, like virtually all of those who started in that position this year barring Doyle and Lambert.