British Speedway Forum

Play offs

28 minutes ago, Gazc said:

If you have no ambition to win the League when you enter then what is the point of entering , in respect to who you want to win the league down to you, I don't think any of us will lose any sleep over that.

Craig Cook puts bums on seats is that not a good thing, well I would have thought it would be.

I agree with jamlad to an extent, Cookie shouldn't be riding in GP's , Premiership and the Championship...bums on seats for who ?? Glasgow thats about it ..I'm sure if any other team signed the likes of Woffinden and or Pederson in our league there would be plenty of disgruntled teams, bit of a difference between ambition and desperation :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, jamlad said:

Cook riding in the Championship is a complete farce , he’s a (supposedly) GP rider for Christ sake, shows money talks you’ve tried to buy the league for the past few years let’s hope it goes to Lakeside, Peterborough or Workington . Not a bit of wonder British Speedway is on its arse and top riders prefer riding in Poland/ Sweden , nothing but a corrupt bunch of team managers running it into the ground . 

“Tried to buy the league...”. Is that the same as trying to run a successful business by constructing a team that will entertain and have a chance of winning some silverware?! 

What next, Team GB (backed by the same people) trying to buy the World Cup?! 

“Nothing but a corrupt bunch of team managers running it into the ground” is that apart from the Lakeside, P’boro and Workington promotion that you want to see win the title?! 

Is it safe to assume your team didn’t make the play offs?! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

I agree with jamlad to an extent, Cookie shouldn't be riding in GP's , Premiership and the Championship...bums on seats for who ?? Glasgow thats about it ..I'm sure if any other team signed the likes of Woffinden and or Pederson in our league there would be plenty of disgruntled teams, bit of a difference between ambition and desperation :rolleyes:

Did Stonehewer not ride in the GP’s when at Workington?! 

And Cook rode for you last year, fast forward 12 months and he shouldn’t be allowed in the league that he committed to for the rest of his Speedway career? 

Sounds like you may be running scared of the Cookie Monster in the play offs! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Solidmango said:

And Cook rode for you last year, fast forward 12 months and he shouldn’t be allowed in the league that he committed to for the rest of his Speedway career? 

Not really, I'm a big fan of Cookie .. I'm sure the rule that was bent was that if Craig came back to ride in our league he had to ride for the team he rode previous 12 months which I'm sure wasn't Glasgow...Speedway is a funny old sport, all depends on the day whether you win or not . I'd take my 1-7 any day , bring on the play-offs, KOC and Championship semi final :approve:

32 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

So Cook is not an attraction in this league just to clear that bit up :rolleyes:, having ambition is now desperation because all I have seen from Glasgow is ambition and trying to promote the sport in the local area.

If that is what you deem desperation then there should be other promotions being desperate to succeed unfortunately there are some running clubs couldn't spell promote never mind doing it.

But I am sure everything will be rosy in the garden once all teams are on a level playing field with NO AMBITION.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

Would have loved Cook to have come to Ipswich when King was out.

Nothing wrong in him signing for Glasgow

He is an attraction to the league and is the pantomime villan when he comes to Foxhall....the top rider in the league.

Yes he does put bums on seats 100% and thats a good thing.

I pick and choose my meetings at Ipswich and Glasgow was on of them because of Cook and Harris.......................no offence but i wast going to spend my money when Newcastle and Berwick were in town..................and yes i know Berwick did superb this season but when i do go i like to see the top riders in the league, Nicholls, Riss and Lawson as well

• Like 4

Just a reminder to all the anti- Cook Glasgow posters. Glasgow lost Lewis Kerr (great guy) to a really bad injury. rather than run with rider replacement all season which would be cheating the fans they chose to sign a rider but not many out there with Lewis ability and average c7pts. So they did something radical they let Richie Worrall go also c7pts and replaced these 14 points with Craig Cook (c10pts) and Nathan Greaves (c4pts). Its not as if they signed Cook for a reserve, we didn't break any rules, some fans even thought Glasgow had weakened there team.

In the end, Craig has been good for Glasgow and Championship speedway and Richie Worrall has been good for Edinburgh. Nathan Greaves has sadly got injured, looked a good prospect, and Lewis Kerr is slowly recovering from injury.

Edited by SharpenRake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

Not really, I'm a big fan of Cookie .. I'm sure the rule that was bent was that if Craig came back to ride in our league he had to ride for the team he rode previous 12 months which I'm sure wasn't Glasgow...Speedway is a funny old sport, all depends on the day whether you win or not . I'd take my 1-7 any day , bring on the play-offs, KOC and Championship semi final :approve:

Just because you keep on saying it doesn't mean its true as other unbiased fans have repeatedly repeated. realise you are trying to emulate Jenga but at least Jenga can be funny. What is it about Workington fans, I blame the nuclear power station :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Solidmango said:

Stonehewer set the precedent back in the early 2000,s riding in the GPs, but that was at a time when the Elite League was exactly that, a league of top class rider's where double ups could just about manage a reserve berth if they were lucky?

Thesedays tho it's not the league it was so Cook stands out like a sore thumb, a GP rider in the Championship and a lot of people find that standard unfair?

Unfortunately it is what it is, the rules appear to allow it so there's nothing much you can do about it, he's still a top quality rider and people will pay to see him.... obviously from my point of view, should we get Glasgow in the play offs, I'd like to see him have two bad nights so..... let's see what happens!! :D

• Like 1

Whether or not it is a farce that Craig is riding in this league, he was a very welcome visitor to Lakeside on our last ever meeting.

Was great to have him and Chris Harris there to make it a better send off.

Slightly off topic but also wanted to say how brilliant Craig was with the fans and children in particular when on the way to the pits. Class act.

• Like 4

I'm a Comets fan and have no problem with Glasgow's signing of Cookie as it made a lot of sense for them at the time. It was an opportunist move, appears not to have broken any rules and is one a few other promoters probably wish they had thought of first.

I think the problem is no-one is sure of the rules any more, including some of the people responsible for making them!

Cookie seems to get a bit of stick, but as in other sports opposition fans very rarely boo a poor opponent. Furthermore he has been down to DP a few times this season where he has been seen helping and offering advice to our young guys Dan and Kyle. As far as I am concerned he is always welcome at DP.

I know he is likely to visit DP shortly and rack up a lot of points, but surely we all want to see the best riders competing against each other. It's just a shame we won't have our full team out - I would have loved to have seen Cookie and Dan going head to head. Hopefully the rest of our team will be fit and maybe, just maybe we can finish the season with that bit of elusive silverware.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Any idea when, it is make your mind up time.

They will um & aahh & can you ride these dates & if not blame Godfrey & the BSPA for the whole un-cooperation of the teams. At least in the PL, they knew within 30 minutes who they would be riding against, where & when.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

They will um & aahh & can you ride these dates & if not blame Godfrey & the BSPA for the whole un-cooperation of the teams. At least in the PL, they knew within 30 minutes who they would be riding against, where & when.

So what's the problem be it 30 minutes or 2 days especially has your team has no interest in it any longer. I bet you're on of those that waits for the clock to strike midnight on Christmas eve  and then enthusiastically rips the wrapping paper off gifts just to see who's bought you cheap aftershave again.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Probably waiting for permission from him to run

• Like 2