British Speedway Forum

Lakeside v Glasgow Friday 14th

TonyE

Some good racing tonight most of the riders really going for it Ā  Craig Cook the fastest rider I have seen there this year ,,Alfie Bowtell looking the smoothest I have seen him,has found a line that suits him, TwoĀ excellent rides from Ben Morley who looks really quick when he rides the wide line .the top 3 were their usual consistent selves..Hope Zack is ok after his nasty looking crash,,but looks unlikely for Rye House Saturday ..Victory was a must tonight and. The lads achieved that ,,,Tommorrow may be a different story with no home track advantage probably no Zack and two matches to get through....Massive crowd in tonight for the last ever meeting at Lakeside,so sad to see yet another track lost to developers.,..

• Like 3

Shocking referee , let the hammers have rolling starts all night, heat 15 Nick lifted on bend 2 and went into air fence , craig laid the bike down and it was all 4 back strangest 1st bend I have seen, I dont mind getting beat and was happy for lakeside to win , but they denied us a chance of a point by saying all 4 back when Nick should have been excluded . Also Psul Starke should have been in heat 15 as bomber was having a mare of a night and Paul had beaten Adam Ellis in heat 14. Hope young Zach is ok , that was a big get off he had.

41 minutes ago, dorothy58 said:

Shocking referee , let the hammers have rolling starts all night, heat 15 Nick lifted on bend 2 and went into air fence , craig laid the bike down and it was all 4 back strangest 1st bend I have seen, I dont mind getting beat and was happy for lakeside to win , but they denied us a chance of a point by saying all 4 back when Nick should have been excluded . Also Psul Starke should have been in heat 15 as bomber was having a mare of a night and Paul had beaten Adam Ellis in heat 14. Hope young Zach is ok , that was a big get off he had.

No idea what you have been drinking, but I suggest you stop swiftly. I have read some myopic comments on all kinds of forums but yours really areĀ utter tosh. As stated above Craig Cook wiped Morris out totally, and it was a very generous all four back, as for rolling other than Ellis (When he was rightly pulled up) I donā€™t recall any.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

32 minutes ago, dorothy58 said:

I understand it was a trainee ref. Not sure which ref was supervising him. All the riders were complaining that he was holding them to long at the tapes. It was Tigers that were responsible for breaking the tapes, but be that as it may, almost every race the tapes were being held a long time and when that happens it's almost inevtable someone will twitch.Ā 

As for heat 15 Cook definitely went down first and collected Nick. Personally I thought Craig should have been excluded, but the refs box gives the best view so it's possible Cook and Lawson touched before Craig went down.

Overall a good meeting to finish on, some good racing. Up to heat 8 I thought the Tigers were going it ,Ā 

15 minutes ago, Eyejay said:

No idea what you have been drinking, but I suggest you stop swiftly. I have read some myopic comments on all kinds of forums but yours really areĀ utter tosh. As stated above Craig Cook wiped Morris out totally, and it was a very generous all four back, as for rolling other than Ellis (When he was rightly pulled up) I donā€™t recall any.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Probably brought in a carryĀ out of their favourite tipple from Glesca, namely Buckfast:lol:

A good but very long way to say goodbye I thought, it was all going well until that horror crash for Zach then everything seemed to go wrong to drag the meeting out but I hope heā€™s going to be ok. Itā€™s been the same old story really whenever we have had a decent side come play off time we have injuries with Kyle and now Zach. Cook was flying and without doubt the fastest man at the raceway this year but it was great to see Rich beating him in heat 15 to win the last ever race. Cook 100% clipped Morris to cause the crash aswell it was as clear as day. All in all a goodĀ way to say goodbye and fingers crossed speedway may one day return to Thurrock.

• Like 1

Great racing, great turn out to a sad farewell .

Cook was responsible for the Morris crash BUT there was no intent, just hard riding....wasnt too impressed with Vissing's look over his shoulder and check mating BowtellĀ  though, that looked deliberate.Ā 

Ā Gonna take a while for me to support another team/venue

8 minutes ago, TonyE said:

From where I was, the Vissing move on Alfie was deliberate and worthy of Nicky P.

Completely agree, it looked a bit naughty from where I was standing too. It also certainly looked like there was contact from Cook (who was very impressive all night) when Nick hit the fence in heat 15.

Really glad that Richard won the last race.

8 hours ago, Eyejay said:

Ā 

Ā 

To be fair Dorothy was there and that is her opinion yes slightly biased to her team but still her opinion , you have your opinion no different but slightly biased to your team which is also your right.

People see things differently all the time doesn't make them wrong, so maybe you just take these things into account.Ā 

It was a really good crowd, I hope a few influential people were there last night to witness the fact there is still very much support there for a speedway track in Essex.

As soon as I got in the car park you could see this was going to be a big crowd, I was really worried that they were going to run out of programs but I got lucky and still managed to get one, I would have been well and truly gutted if I had not because this was a lasting souvenir to our time at this venue, the meeting ended up dragging but to be honest I wasn't even aware of the time until later because it was just so nice to catch up with those who have not been for some time.

It was what should have been a sad night but to me felt more like a celebration of the venues existence for all these years despite the many times that the stadium or the club itself has been up in the air as to whether it would see another season.

The biggest thing was that it wasn't the end of the club full stop, we keep going at another venue for the time being and I do intend to support that now where I can because although my head says we will never have a track in Essex again, my heart says otherwise.

So we still have a team, we have somewhere to race, now we just need an organisation who can run British Speedway properly and orderly.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, marko said:

It was a really good crowd, I hope a few influential people were there last night to witness the fact there is still very much support there for a speedway track in Essex.

As soon as I got in the car park you could see this was going to be a big crowd, I was really worried that they were going to run out of programs but I got lucky and still managed to get one, I would have been well and truly gutted if I had not because this was a lasting souvenir to our time at this venue, the meeting ended up dragging but to be honest I wasn't even aware of the time until later because it was just so nice to catch up with those who have not been for some time.

It was what should have been a sad night but to me felt more like a celebration of the venues existence for all these years despite the many times that the stadium or the club itself has been up in the air as to whether it would see another season.

The biggest thing was that it wasn't the end of the club full stop, we keep going at another venue for the time being and I do intend to support that now where I can because although my head says we will never have a track in Essex again, my heart says otherwise.

So we still have a team, we have somewhere to race, now we just need an organisation who can run British Speedway properly and orderly.

Very well said, despite the programme being restricted to one per person, I still managed to blag a few extras. The club missed a trick limiting the print run to a 1000.

It was indeed a bit of a marathon in the end but glad to say ā€œI was thereā€ to coin a phrase. Having cut my speedway teeth with Romford Bombers it was sad to see the last Essex team move on, hopefully just for now. Two air fence punctures slowed things more than usual, but hopefully the riders involved Zach Wajtknecht and Nick Morris are OK. Zach hit the fence more or less head on on bend 4Ā at some speed.Ā 

The racing was good, a tight track that requires a lot of skill. Have to say how impressed Iā€™ve been with Richard Lawson this week. Not a rider Iā€™ve followed closely but his guesting at Ipswich the previous night kept the match close until the the latter stages, and he was excellent again last night fittingly winning the final heat. Cooky at this level is difficult to beat but Lawson matched him 2-2 head to head.

Announcer hoping James Sarjeant wouldnā€™t demolish the tapes, even off a 15m handicap, amused me. And as always hope the benefit fund collection was well supported.

Edited by Tactical Joker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

Decent score for the Tigers hitting 40 at Lakeside as itā€™s a tough place to go to, Ā I donā€™t see the Hammers being as dominantĀ 

at Rye House as they have been at home all season and if they finish top and pick Glasgow my money would be on us.

Travel wise Workington v Glasgow would be ideal .

Hope that is not the case as it would mean we get Lakeside again. Exciting end to the season (not) with Lakeside tonight, twice in the championship shield, twice in the cup and twice in the play offs.