British Speedway Forum

Poole 2019

Aviator

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Just hoping Poole can be competitive from the outset rather than being a laughing stock again!

Surely being a laughing stock for two months is worthwhile if your riders reduce their averages enough so you can bring in replacements who win the playoffs for you, riders who you then abandon.

1 hour ago, semion said:

Poole going for the strength in depth approach again ?  Didn’t get them to the top of the League last season but won them play-offs. 

Especially as it now seems Jack Holder is Belle Vue bound

Poole need to find a number one as that strength in depth route only won them the league because of the other teams injuries, cant see how Poole could have beat Somerset or Kings Lynn if both had fully fit 1-7. That isnt Pooles fault but they certainly had all the luck at the right time.

Certain teams appear to be building very strong like Swindon and Wolves and Kings Lynn.

People will say Poole always come up with a good side.......they dont...........last seasons original 1-7 was shockingly poor and only due to the fact Matt Ford throws his money around , and the pure fortune that Harris became available did they climb the league

6 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Poole need to find a number one as that strength in depth route only won them the league because of the other teams injuries, cant see how Poole could have beat Somerset or Kings Lynn if both had fully fit 1-7. That isnt Pooles fault but they certainly had all the luck at the right time.

Certain teams appear to be building very strong like Swindon and Wolves and Kings Lynn.

People will say Poole always come up with a good side.......they dont...........last seasons original 1-7 was shockingly poor and only due to the fact Matt Ford throws his money around , and the pure fortune that Harris became available did they climb the league

Maybe next season as he winding down he won't be throwing his money around :shock:

6 minutes ago, Gavan said:

End of the day its what happens in September and October that counts. Get over yourself, your lot will be alsorans next season wheres we will win the league, again.

. ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ray c said:

Maybe next season as he winding down he won't be throwing his money around :shock:

Maybe but Poole are usually there or thereabouts most seasons but i dont think they can afford to be as poor as they were last season early on and rely on changes to win the league and a bit of luck

Just now, Starman2006 said:

End of the day its what happens in September and October that counts. Get over yourself, your lot will be alsorans next season wheres we will win the league, again.

. ;)

I couldnt care less where we finish as long as the club and the sport survive but thats the difference in your mentality. You would rather win the league and watch clubs disappear.

If we come bottom i dont mind as long as we get value for money in the racing and the club doesnt go under

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, ray c said:

I don't think that'll be the case. If Ford wants £250,000 for his club he needs to make sure the attendances are high and the team is successful. Struggling crowds will see the club valuation to a 3rd of his asking price. In reality, that's probably the real price of Poole anyway, Ford has seriously over valued the club.

35 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I don't think that'll be the case. If Ford wants £250,000 for his club he needs to make sure the attendances are high and the team is successful. Struggling crowds will see the club valuation to a 3rd of his asking price. In reality, that's probably the real price of Poole anyway, Ford has seriously over valued the club.

He has said he will walk away if no buyer at the end of next season I believe .anyway who would pay that sort of money in a sport that is nearly on its last legs to be honest ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

I think most thought including the bookies that Poole's original starting 1-7 was good with one or two question marks. One of the main reasons for our slow start was Chris Holder being unable to ride, compounded by a slow start by one of two others like Josh and Brady didn't help, Szczpaniek was a mistake but understandable to get him as his form in Poland the previous season was very good.

There is no doubt we got a bit of luck in the play offs but luck is part of all sport. Harris obviously was a major boost to the team and it is a shame he can't be fitted in but that's how the averages work sometimes.

Peterborough also looking strong with Hans and Harris in my opinion.

We won't have a true number one this season I think that is a given but I hope we have someone other than Kurtz as the top rider or at least someone capable of holding down the number one spot because Kurtz has proved he isn't good enough for that position.

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

I couldnt care less where we finish as long as the club and the sport survive but thats the difference in your mentality. You would rather win the league and watch clubs disappear.

If we come bottom i dont mind as long as we get value for money in the racing and the club doesnt go under

Really, ands where have i said that ? Clearly you are finding it hard to come up with something, so you invent it.. But we will win the league, again..

2 hours ago, semion said:

250k, have they been queuing for that one?  Must be a lot of goodwill factored into that valuation.  Would love to see the EBITDA to understand how that figure was arrived at.

On a multiple of earnings basis, whether you use EBITDA or FME, the business is worth well in excess of £250k. The problem is that the success of Poole as a business has been down to Ford getting some very valuable sponsors. Without him, would anyone else be able to raise as much?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

On a multiple of earnings basis, whether you use EBITDA or FME, the business is worth well in excess of £250k. The problem is that the success of Poole as a business has been down to Ford getting some very valuable sponsors. Without him, would anyone else be able to raise as much?

Are you saying earnings as in turnover rather than profit?

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

15 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Tell that to an accountant and you will be laughed out of his office, riders and sponsors are not assets, therefore have no value.

The riders, just like is seems that C Holder might, can just walk away and sponsors, as some have done, stop sponsoring.  

"without him (Ford), would anyone else be able to raise as much", the likely answer is no.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

What about Harry Redknapp when he leaves the jungle - he lives locally :wink: