British Speedway Forum

Poole 2019

Aviator

52 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Fortunately then it was Harris who made a massive contrabution in  us winning the League. That said, it wasnt just a one man team. You need 6 other riders.
Personally, i feel Chris's average should be re-assessed. to take into consideration his age and the fact that he would freely admit he is not a No 1. But sadly this is Poole we are talking about..

by your assumption, i reckon we should get Doyleys average reduced due to the fact he never retained his World champion tag, must be going downhill now, lets get it reduced? :blink:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Fortunately then it was Harris who made a massive contrabution in  us winning the League. That said, it wasnt just a one man team. You need 6 other riders.
Personally, i feel Chris's average should be re-assessed. to take into consideration his age and the fact that he would freely admit he is not a No 1. But sadly this is Poole we are talking about..

Sorry Starry, but no one with an attained average should ever have it re-assessed. You don't want to open that can of worms imo ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

The blinkers never cease to amaze me :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dump that clutch said:

by your assumption, i reckon we should get Doyleys average reduced due to the fact he never retained his World champion tag, must be going downhill now, lets get it reduced? :blink:

Several differences there. Doyley still rides in the GP he's is eventhough Chris beat him the better rider and, and Chris is a bit older than Doyley, Doyley is more than capable of attaining the No 1 position, where Chris will freely admit he is no longer a No 1. I would fully expect Doyley to attain his average next season, assuming he rides over here.... But Chris will find it hard to attain his.

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

:rofl:

His age and the fact that he isn't a No.1. Good one. Put that rod away Starry :P

How old is Scotty... 40  Should be on a 5.00 :lol: Would you be ok with that for another team  :blink:

Oh I didn't think so.

Edited by Bald Bloke

15 minutes ago, dump that clutch said:

If anything Doyle has gone the opposite long term.

He seems like a fine wine who has matured/improved with age. Not many in this sport have improved over 30 like he has. Unless you are Hancock of course :D

Can't believe the rider he was at 22/25 would become what he is today. Always had the asset of quick out of the gate but got overtaken far to easily. Now he is one of the hardest riders on the circuit and not many can overtake this guy once he is in front. All down to his earlier experience at Poole of course ;)

2 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Several differences there. Doyley still rides in the GP he's is eventhough Chris beat him the better rider and, and Chris is a bit older than Doyley, Doyley is more than capable of attaining the No 1 position, where Chris will freely admit he is no longer a No 1. I would fully expect Doyley to attain his average next season, assuming he rides over here.... But Chris will find it hard to attain his.

Ever heard the saying...

"When you are in ahole stop digging"

19 minutes ago, dump that clutch said:

Funnily enough Doyle was going to have his average reassessed to 8 but he wouldn't 'freely admit' he wasn't the world champion so no dice unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, BLACKHEART said:

In my opinion Harris on a 7.78 average is one of the worst Heat Leader signings a team could make in 2019. Chris would have his work cut out to achieve a final GSA of 7.28. No value at all. 

so what are you saying bomber should not ride in the premiership what utter rubbish :nono:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I have a split opinion on Harris. Part of me says good team man but another part of me  says will he be too up and down ?? Complicated further by his revised GSA up from 7.09 as per GSA 1/10 to a final av of 7.78 a whole 0.69 higher I assume based on  deleting his Rye scores as though play offs didn't count ?? Suddenly doesn't look so good. Doyle for example is 9.80 but you know you will get 10/15 points per meeting from him which we know with Poole riders last year you could get anything from 0 to 10/12 (if you were lucky).

For me Matt has to give some serious thought to the 2019 team. Yes 2018 started badly but honestly I am not yet convinced the likes of Kurtz/Josh G/Woryna/Fredrikson will improve their av big time and Klindt had a good season (sometimes) and again not 100% convinced he would improve.

Having so called strength in depth is good on the one hand but for me they had a good slice of luck and good fortune in 2018 to win the League whatever some Poole die hard's may think. Yes they did the job but asking lightning to strike twice with most of the same team ??. I can't see it PLUS the team has to shed a massive 2.64 points anyway to get back to 42.5 for season start. Would you tie up Harris at a whole 7.78 out of that will he even achieve that knowing realistically he is nearer a 7 IMO. Maybe you can get a proven 8 pointer which would be better but again can the club afford such expense with no confirmed team sponsor.

I think Matt is going to have plenty on his plate trying to find a decent combination for 2019 plus if he can even do it early enough IF he doesn't have a main sponsor on board.

Hope it does not become a case of "Oh Well" we achieved what I wanted and that was the League Champions in 2018 out 70th year so in what may be my last year at the Club let's just go for consolidation without a large expense.

With regards to klindt, I somewhat agree. However, on his average & potentially slotting in at #4 I think we'd be mad not to. At worst, he will maintain his Ave thereabouts & still be formidable. Woryna and jakobsen have plenty of room for improvement and most importantly, WANT to ride. 

28 minutes ago, Jason.C said:

With regards to klindt, I somewhat agree. However, on his average & potentially slotting in at #4 I think we'd be mad not to. At worst, he will maintain his Ave thereabouts & still be formidable. Woryna and jakobsen have plenty of room for improvement and most importantly, WANT to ride. 

Yes but something has to give as the team in its current format is 2.64 over.

Say you replaced Worrall at 5.60 with Shanes at 3.31 thats only saving 2.29 which is still 0.43 over. 

Many said this was arguably the weakest team ever to win the league. A good chunk of luck/good fortune and a sublime one ride from Harris made it happen in 2018. In my opinion it won't happen again without some jiggery poke within the team.

An example of a rejiggle and just an idea

Josh Pickering 4.58 - Jordan Stewart 4.00 (both  reserves) -B Kurtz 7.05 - C.Woryna 6.36 - Jack Holder 7.39 - F.Jakobsen  5.04  Leaves by my calc 8.08 for a number one. It is filled with 4 of the Worlds best up and coming young riders (excl the good Poles who won't ride here) - has 2 of arguably the brightest young Aussies coming thru at reserve - JP just turning 22 in 3 days and had 2 seasons in Champ improv GSA over the 2. JS just turned 20 only 2 weeks ago and had ok first season with Redcar. Seems to be riding well against Jaimon Lidsey back home currently in Aussie.

This would leave the option open for say Harris (ok some say he should be in but I am split on it) - Chris Holder who I would have over Harris and would also be a pull to get Jack back - Or an 8 pointer which brings into play either GP or recent GP riders (of course if available).

Of course that leaves out Josh G - Nicolai Klindt - Richie Worrall and MAYBE Harris but whichever way you cut it we still need to offload at least 2 riders to get within the limit.

I can't see Matt letting either Kurtz/Woryna or Jakobsen not being included as all 3 have the potential to up their GSA's.

Other riders who could be considered if you want to jiggery poke on the av are Morris (if he was available and even wanted to ride for Poole) at 6.60 and Sundstrom who is now on only 6.04.

Matt has a an interesting headache and juggling act on his hands.

• Like 1

So really we have riders for potentially a good reserve and 2nd string line up, but finding a true no.1 these days is like gold dust. Looks like we'll be hoping a few riders will have break through seasons again and take up the mantle. 

5 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Edited by hyabb17

6 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Sorry, I meant to quote this post as the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read. 

Edited by hyabb17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

That's a new one. Wish Coventry had thought of that when he rode for them. :D

hyabb17........Sorry 

I meant to quote this post as the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read. 

Watch this space 'cos there will be plenty more. :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1