British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh vs Lakeside SGB Championship 7th September, 2018, 7.30pm

I know the boys want it grippy but was a bit too grippy tonight was hard to race on so gating was very very important tonight. 

Special mention to Lawson tonight done a cracking job tonight especially with Joel being ruled out after heat 2. Was even out after the meeting for a spin after having 7 rides.

36 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

This believe it is a comment from an Edinburgh supporter. Looks like Edinburgh wanted to win at all costs.     Shocking  statement from a home fan .

Oh dear, the track staff made a mistake and made it too grippy get over yourself with your win at all costs nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Oh dear, the track staff made a mistake and made it too grippy get over yourself with your win at all costs nonsense. 

I have to say although I wasn't there I really wouldn't know how badly the track was (doctored) but when 1 of your own supporters Stewmac makes a statement like that you have to wonder just what is going on and as your management already made a statement pre meeting suggesting they were going to shock  Lakeside with an extra grippy track . You can hardly call that a trackstaff  mistake  can you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, New era Panthers said:

This believe it is a comment from an Edinburgh supporter. Looks like Edinburgh wanted to win at all costs.     Shocking  statement from a home fan .

Fair play to him though saying how it is rather than the everything is rosy in the garden crew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, george.m said:

Looking forward to reading the spin the Monarchs' PR put on this one. No doubt the usual whitewash.

Perhaps you should have waited until the match report was published on the website before making the above comment.

FYI here is the relevant quote:-

"The track was undoubtedly tricky though and several riders had difficulties, not just the visitors. The home riders like grippy conditions but the difficult thing is getting the balance right to still allow good racing." 

However as you regularly appear to display traits of paranoia towards any Monarchs' PR, no doubt you will find fault the above statement.

Unlike your good self, I was actually at the meeting, and apart from Pickering & Worrall, in the first half of the match, the other eleven riders did struggle with what appeared to be too much grip.

As the grip slackened off later on, Richard Lawson mastered the conditions and only dropped one point in his last three rides.

Overall a poor spectacle and not up to the standard of good racing in previous weeks, despite the scorelines.

If the track was as bad as people are saying I will take back what I said. Pottinger said he’s just glad all 7 riders made it through the meeting and Ellis said the track was shocking and all the riders struggled to turn. Sounds like a total waste of fans money and this was a case of people finding out the facts before having a pop at riders myself included. I hope the injured riders are ok.

Edited by liam
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TheScotsman said:

Joshie pickering is quoted in the paper as saying the track was great. 

Yes, I read that too. He's known for his witty and sarcastic quips so I really wonder if he said that tongue in cheek. In 42 years of following speedway weekly all I am saying is this. I think I can say what constitutes a good meeting. I pay my money and expect to watch 4 riders in each race giving it their all. Last night, for the first half of the meeting that was impossible for almost all the riders, and even for the rest of the meeting, several, including both the home captain, Riss, as well as the home number one, Wells, looked like they were being distinctly tentative, and for me there was zero entertainment.

That's not speedway. That's farcical. It won't attract any new fans. And when even some of your own team end up injured as a result of this "mistake" as Blobby calls it, then it's high time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. 

• Like 3

It sounds like the home promotion have done their best to drive another nail in the coffin of our sport. Preparing a track that has been slaughtered by riders from both teams and home supporters and has that has provided tentative approach from riders according to those that were there. Oh, and 2 home riders picked up injuries as a result. But at least the home team won eh Mr Promoter. 

You really could not make it up......

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Yes, I read that too. He's known for his witty and sarcastic quips so I really wonder if he said that tongue in cheek. In 42 years of following speedway weekly all I am saying is this. I think I can say what constitutes a good meeting. I pay my money and expect to watch 4 riders in each race giving it their all. Last night, for the first half of the meeting that was impossible for almost all the riders, and even for the rest of the meeting, several, including both the home captain, Riss, as well as the home number one, Wells, looked like they were being distinctly tentative, and for me there was zero entertainment.

That's not speedway. That's farcical. It won't attract any new fans. And when even some of your own team end up injured as a result of this "mistake" as Blobby calls it, then it's high time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. 

You were there Stew so I totally accept your assessment. 

I wasn't, as obviously wasn't George. 

I take your point about Josh - humour doesn't always show up well in print. 

• Like 1

Doesn't sound like the Edinburgh promotion come out of this too well - just glad our six guys 'escaped' with their health intact.

If it was as bad as painted (and Adam Ellis is on record as saying it 'wasn't speedway') - then you have to feel for those that paid to watch two very capable teams serve up such an unedifying spectacle.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, marko said:

The sport will never move forward in this country whilst the majority if not all the promoters are set fast on trying to screw all the other clubs.

They are killing their own future and they just fail to see it.

That is so and hard to believe. But week after week and season after season Promoters seem determined to kill off the sport. Do they want to run matches with no paying customers do you think - it looks like that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

That is so and hard to believe. But week after week and season after season Promoters seem determined to kill off the sport. Do they want to run matches with no paying customers do you think - it looks like that.

If, as Edinburgh claim, their crowds are up - why take the risk of preparing a track that doesn't provide entertainment and peeing off paying customers?