British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue v Somerset PL 5th September, 2018

On 9/13/2018 at 9:17 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Weymouth was very tight and very small but I saw some very good racing there. Not as good as Plymouth, but still good.

My point was - and remains - that custom built speedway tracks are better than those that are fitted into an existing stadium. Belle Vue is better than the others, but Scunthorpe and Somerset have established reputations for high quality racing, and Plymouth has always been one of my favourite tracks.

I am sure we all want more tracks like Belle Vue - I certainly do.  But your obsession with having all circuits like that is ridiculously impractical. Just where are Isle of Wight - and every other club in the country - supposed to get the funds to adapt their existing track or build a new one from ? In a sport that is in dire straits financially, that's simply not going to happen. 

Personally, I would say the true measure of a promotion is not simply the quality of the racing that their track puts on but far more about how successful the club is - on, but more importantly, off track.  After all,  if people are paying their entry money on the basis that the speedway is only part of the night out, what does it matter ?

Isle Of Wight's racing isn't as good as the NSS. But, in a straight comparison with the previous promotion, they have now increased average gates 5 fold and sponsorship has increased massively. They have attracted almost unanimous credit and praise from speedway fans from across the country for their attitude, enthusiasm and spirit. Finally, according to Barry Bishop they have broken even for the last two seasons.

Belle Vue, despite their superb race track, don't even come close to a record like that (to be fair, nor does anyone else). 

The last Weymouth track was awful, the fact that you say otherwise tells me a lot.  I've not been to Plymouth but I can predict what it's like - not real Speedway.

Scunthorpe and Somerset had a reputation as good tracks because most of the rest are so bad, both have been surpassed by Belle Vue.  Your insistence that every track produces decent racing is just plain wrong to be frank.

As regards the IoW investing in their track, you have answered your own question:

They are getting 5 times the gate money according to you and have a massive increase in sponsorship revenue.  Invest it in the track.

If the sport doesn't invest in improving the tracks then it will carry on being in dire straits and the long slow death will continue.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Weymouth was very tight and very small but I saw some very good racing there. Not as good as Plymouth, but still good.

My point was - and remains - that custom built speedway tracks are better than those that are fitted into an existing stadium. Belle Vue is better than the others, but Scunthorpe and Somerset have established reputations for high quality racing, and Plymouth has always been one of my favourite tracks.

I am sure we all want more tracks like Belle Vue - I certainly do.  But your obsession with having all circuits like that is ridiculously impractical. Just where are Isle of Wight - and every other club in the country - supposed to get the funds to adapt their existing track or build a new one from ? In a sport that is in dire straits financially, that's simply not going to happen. 

Personally, I would say the true measure of a promotion is not simply the quality of the racing that their track puts on but far more about how successful the club is - on, but more importantly, off track.  After all,  if people are paying their entry money on the basis that the speedway is only part of the night out, what does it matter ?

Isle Of Wight's racing isn't as good as the NSS. But, in a straight comparison with the previous promotion, they have now increased average gates 5 fold and sponsorship has increased massively. They have attracted almost unanimous credit and praise from speedway fans from across the country for their attitude, enthusiasm and spirit. Finally, according to Barry Bishop they have broken even for the last two seasons.

Belle Vue, despite their superb race track, don't even come close to a record like that (to be fair, nor does anyone else). 

Did you watch much racing at Coatbridge ?