British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue v Somerset PL 5th September, 2018

7 minutes ago, foamfence said:

I wouldn't! Nothing near.

Have to agree. 1,200 at most and probably less :( Huge shame, but with the holidays ending, a Wednesday night and it being on the box the gate was bound to have been affected.

I think this would have been a cracking meeting without heat 13 due to the closeness of the scores and some good racing but that was just stunning. Standing on the third bend, I was watching Cook trying to pass on the inside and only noticed Fricke as he catapaulted off the last bend to go round the three others. Great stuff :approve:

• Like 1

This is one of the best meetings I have seen in a long time great advert for the sport proving that give the riders the track and they will produce the goods .Fortunately Doyle got up from that nasty looking crashI just wonder how many times he will ,he seems to be on the deck more and more these days ,can't knock him for giving 100% but just feel he may pay a big price for it one day .

Edited by FAST GATER

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I would, every time. Whatever the circumstances of their departure from Belle Vue, without their determination, effort, hard work, doggedness and passion the NSS would not exist. Pretty decent legacy, that.

You only had to read the pages of this forum to see the scepticism, cynicism and sheer contempt that existed amongst supporters that it would ever be built and I am reliably informed that that went all the way to the top in the BSPA. 

It says everything that despite his self imposed exile at the anniversary meeting earlier this season the loudest acclaim was reserved for Chris Morton and I don't know a Belle Vue fan that wouldn't have him back.

WELL put ...Daniel Smith needs to get his facts right. 

• Like 2

Heat 13 wow! Just WOW! That's one of the few races I'll take to my grave along with Erik Gunderson's pass in the 1985 world final, the Penhall Olsen race in 1981 and Per Jonsson bursting between 2 riders at Bradford in the late 80's/early 90's

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Have to agree. 1,200 at most and probably less :( Huge shame, but with the holidays ending, a Wednesday night and it being on the box the gate was bound to have been affected.

I think this would have been a cracking meeting without heat 13 due to the closeness of the scores and some good racing but that was just stunning. Standing on the third bend, I was watching Cook trying to pass on the inside and only noticed Fricke as he catapaulted off the last bend to go round the three others. Great stuff :approve:

The grandstand is easy to estimate, each block holds 300 there, the middle 3 blocks were nearly full plus all the people up in Peter Craven suite so thats about 900 so are you saying  there was less then 300 in south stand? Can at least double that,  so minimum 1500. 

19 minutes ago, Rob B said:

The grandstand is easy to estimate, each block holds 300 there, the middle 3 blocks were nearly full plus all the people up in Peter Craven suite so thats about 900 so are you saying  there was less then 300 in south stand? Can at least double that,  so minimum 1500. 

To be honest, mine is a wild guess.

It does surprise me that 1,700 is a 'disappointing' crowd. I would think that about 75% (or possibly more) of tracks would be delighted with that. 

Great meeting, heat 13 was amazing. Show that race to any non-speedway fan and there's no way they wouldn't be entertained by it. If only we could have the majority if not all tracks capable of producing that.

Not that it made any difference but was surprised heat 15 was awarded. Holder was almost level with Cook/Fricke (can't remember which!) anything could have happened in another lap on that track!

Edited by The Cheese

Fabulous meeting, I really enjoyed that. Heat 13 was the best race I have seen for years, a great advert for the sport, but so much to do with the design of the track which allows passing in so many places. I've always been a "flat out round the boards" sort of guy, so its just a shame I don't live nearer Belle Vue. Congratulations to all involved and I hope Doyle was OK after that nasty looking spill.

11 hours ago, acef said:

It doesn't but I'm not sure that is the only issue. Wolves would need to be really slick to get the most of the bikes. Its always been well prepared Monmore, you can certainly vouch for that, and still is. However the bikes don't like it. Its got such tight entrances to the turns, to scrub off all that speed and then run into some dirt is what causes the problem. It kills the back wheel and then they react like a bucking bronco. These bikes need to be turning over all the time, taps always open. Even some smaller tracks have a more natural curvature, like Somerset and Scunny, where you can keep the bike winding and still have some room to correct a reaction or rider mistake. 

Rye. Arena. Training tracks. That's all they are good for. 

I hope wolves doesn't go the same way. 

Apologies for saying Monmore was irrelevant BTW, thats not what I meant. 

Track prep of course is key and the riders are always happy when a track is well prepared, regardless of the size.

I didn’t take any offence at the irrelevant comment as I gathered what you meant by it.

Monmore remains the sort of track that is great at mastering the art of throttle control which is still a key skill to being a well rounded rider.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say my only slight disagreement is that you see bikes taking off and lifting violently on tracks of all sizes so of course it is a power issue and generally not rider error in those events. 

2 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

It sounds like I missed a great meeting last night.

Certainly from the mid-point of the match you did. I hope you'll be able to see a TV repeat showing, or other recording, and hit the rewind button a few times on heat 13!!

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Great meeting, heat 13 was amazing. Show that race to any non-speedway fan and there's no way they wouldn't be entertained by it. If only we could have the majority if not all tracks capable of producing that.

Not that it made any difference but was surprised heat 15 was awarded. Holder was almost level with Cook/Fricke (can't remember which!) anything could have happened in another lap on that track!

ACADEMIC really. In a rerun both BV riders would have needed to not finish to stop the Aces reaching the play-offs.

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Jack Holder impresses me more and more he is improving rapidly him and Fricke can become gp riders.Berge,Wilson Dean,Allen all had there moments they battled hard enjoyed the meeting so much a brilliant advert for our sport.

I'd agree. He was really in the thick of the action last night. And, in a recent Ekstraliga match I attended in Poland, he was superb - starting his night by passing Tai Woffinden to win heat 1 on Tai's home track. He went onto win three heats, had two thirds and fell off in his other ride whilst in a close fought race with Max.

Max, himself, has been simply brilliant in recent matches at the NSS, but his efforts don't seem to translate into big point hauls regularly yet in Poland. In the same match Max netted just 4+2 from 5 rides but rode hard all night.

It certainly would be good to see them both in the GPs in the coming years. Shame they're not British to join, say,  Tai, Robert Lambert and Dan Bewley in Team GB. Pure conjecture, but if we still had the same situation that existed in the days when Ivan Mauger and Briggo rode in the British team, we might just have had a future World Cup winning line-up with those five??