British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2019

Fixtures just released - another abysmal year of fixtures. The management's claim of wanting to attract more kids by racing on Sundays is rather negated by the fact that there will only be three meetings throughout the entire school holidays in July/August.

27 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Fixtures just released - another abysmal year of fixtures. The management's claim of wanting to attract more kids by racing on Sundays is rather negated by the fact that there will only be three meetings throughout the entire school holidays in July/August.

With a start time of Sunday's 4.30 pm as opposed to Thursdays 7.30 pm I don't think that school holidays really matter.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

You are at home on the last Sunday in July & at home in 2 of the 1st 3 weeks in August with the other away. The last Sunday is free as all your fixtures are covered unless you progress in the cup competitions where this last Sunday could be used. Most teams & fans would be happy seeing racing 3 out of 4 weeks especially in a shortened fixture list, again, in 2019.

Again, as in most threads, spare a thought for those fans that have lost speedway this last year.  

Yes I was there on Wednesday and very entertaining it was too. First part was mainly Sheffield anecdotes and included Ty Proctor and Kyle Howarth and after the interval it was more about Nigel and Kelvin and their commentating stories from around the SGPs. Kelvin claimed to have beaten Shawn Moran once around Owlerton. Nigel once had a go on a bike at the now defunct training track at Sheffield with Shaun Leigh (the centre green guy at Sheffield) and both didn't fare too well. Nigel broke a finger nail which was enough for him to never go near a bike again !!!

It was well worth the money and was well attended. There was a raffle with some decent prizes and some other merch on sale as well.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BuxtonTiger said:

With the move to Sunday's at 4pm. Where can I find information about the carvery at Sheffield? Price, opening times and booking details for the best tables?

My best suggestion would be to ask Sheffield speedway at office@sheffield-speedway.com  I`m sure that between them and the stadium owners discussions and hopefully agreement has been  put in place regarding the panorama restaurant  Sunday opening.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

With the move to Sunday's at 4pm. Where can I find information about the carvery at Sheffield? Price, opening times and booking details for the best tables?

Reserve your table now by calling Owlerton Stadium on 0114 2343074. (Taken from the Sheffield Speedway Website)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

Sheffield v Scunthorpe march 31st  6 pm start as per b s p a website. Think it will be because it's Mother's Day and dog meeting will be on !!

Ah Mothers' Day. It's a good job we'll be away on a cruise - I could just imagine what response I'd get if at 5.00pm on Mothers' Day (when 'er indoors expects to be wined and dined) I announced that I'd be off out to t'speedway! Same thing on Easter Sunday (21st April) which also happens to be her ladyship's birthday, so I'll be missing Leicester. Another holiday weekend is Mayday weekend on 5th May (Birmingham on that day). I reckon t'switch to Sunday racing might see me ending up in t'divorce court.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 7:42 AM, TigerAl said:

Yes I was there on Wednesday and very entertaining it was too. First part was mainly Sheffield anecdotes and included Ty Proctor and Kyle Howarth and after the interval it was more about Nigel and Kelvin and their commentating stories from around the SGPs. Kelvin claimed to have beaten Shawn Moran once around Owlerton. Nigel once had a go on a bike at the now defunct training track at Sheffield with Shaun Leigh (the centre green guy at Sheffield) and both didn't fare too well. Nigel broke a finger nail which was enough for him to never go near a bike again !!!

It was well worth the money and was well attended. There was a raffle with some decent prizes and some other merch on sale as well.

I can't recall any particular instance, but it's hardly implausible, would be surprised if it was when he rode for Wimbledon as he was only reserve/second string then, but there would have been plenty of times from 1985 to 1988 when he rode for Coventry. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Cliffeboy said:

Careful Tigers bigging  up young Kemp by too much. Already saying he can put 2 maybe 3 on his average. Different class of rider at this level. 

I'll be surprised if you have actually seen him. 

I saw him a couple of times last season and he was just superb - the most talented youngster I have seen since Woffinden.

The first was riding for Mildenhall at the NSS - never the easiest place for visiting NL riders. After a couple of seconds he really got the hang of the place and his last to first in heat 15 was just sublime. 

The second was for Ipswich against Scunthorpe in what was probably the most impressive individual performance I saw anywhere in 2018. Paid 14 from 5 starts against Championship opposition tells its own story. 

If he can stay clear of injury, he should easily put at least 2 points on that staring average.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I'll be surprised if you have actually seen him. 

I saw him a couple of times last season and he was just superb - the most talented youngster I have seen since Woffinden.

The first was riding for Mildenhall at the NSS - never the easiest place for visiting NL riders. After a couple of seconds he really got the hang of the place and his last to first in heat 15 was just sublime. 

The second was for Ipswich against Scunthorpe in what was probably the most impressive individual performance I saw anywhere in 2018. Paid 14 from 5 starts against Championship opposition tells its own story. 

If he can stay clear of injury, he should easily put at least 2 points on that staring average.

Totally agree. 3 point increase isn’t fanciful in the slightest. 

One of the major disappointments in Ipswich moving up a league was missing out of having Drew on a 2 point average. 

After being title favourites for just about every year we were in the second tier and managing to cock it up sometimes due to chronic luck, but sometimes underachievement, it’s ironic that we move up just when we could possibly  have had our best chance yet!

Having any rider that is capable of increasing their average by around 3 points will automatically give you a big advantage. 

Sheffield must be delighted we moved up a league! Our loss is very much their gain and I look forward to seeing him progress this year. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

saw a lot of Drew in my travels around NL last season.

Very impressive although he did have a long spell at reserve (right up to end of June) as Mildenhall were very clever with Fixtures and at Cradley too he spent long time at reserve. His form and scores when he moved up hardly wavered either. He was sometimes far better in early heats in main Team towards end of the season and after MIldenhall had injuries he was regularly mastered by Wood and Brennan in the Eastbourne clashes home and away but that could have been pressure of carrying injury affected Team.

I think Brennan is on a par with Kemp and a look back at their Youth careers indicate that. Drew had more CL experience last year than Brennan (who had none) but Swindon fans seem mightly impressed by Brennan in 2 appearances in PL / PL level so be interesting to see how they compare v each other in CL, and both still in NL.

Don't think any of the others moving up close to those pair, saw plenty of Leon Flint and was very impressed but not in Kemp/Brennan league consistently yet, Mountain and Wood I think won't ever be better than CL 2nd strings, young Atkins at Somerset could surprise a few, never really been that impressed with Bickley at Birmingham certainly and easy to forget how young and progressive Shanes and Wajknecht still are!