British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2019

37 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think James Shanes deserves a break. We even have someone who spent most of last season saying Swindon should sign him already talking about him being dropped.

The fact is there is a minimum average of 3.00 this year, with no rider below that eligible for the top flight. Whoever comes in at 7 for Swindon is going to struggle, virtue of being the lowest averaged ridrr in the league.

Do people really think Tom Bacon could come in and start beating the likes of Bradley Wilson-Dean? At least give James a chance before calling for his head. Swindon have a very strong top 3, and because of that other teams have had to go with a more solid line up.

Any 3 pointer will find points hard to come by, and the best way is to stick with James and help get him up to speed. I thought he rode ok against Ipswich, even if the points aren't there yet.

Zach and Dawid have started to score a few now. Who's to say James can't start soon. The level the league is this year, any opposition rider he beats will be a good result.

At least wait until David Bellego drops low enough to come in!

I have to agree. Give the kid a break, he's riding with an injury at the moment & we don't seem to be suffering carrying weaker reserves. The team was chosen to be top heavy by Rosco & I trust his judgement. Come on folks, you're beginning to sound like "Poole Whingers"! The teams done well so far.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robins les said:

I have to agree. Give the kid a break, he's riding with an injury at the moment & we don't seem to be suffering carrying weaker reserves. The team was chosen to be top heavy by Rosco & I trust his judgement. Come on folks, you're beginning to sound like "Poole Whingers"! The teams done well so far.

Totally agree Les the team has started well and i believe we can get better as the season goes along.The  positive thing for me is we have lost two close away matches and came away with a point that augurs well for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I think James Shanes deserves a break. We even have someone who spent most of last season saying Swindon should sign him already talking about him being dropped.

The fact is there is a minimum average of 3.00 this year, with no rider below that eligible for the top flight. Whoever comes in at 7 for Swindon is going to struggle, virtue of being the lowest averaged ridrr in the league.

Do people really think Tom Bacon could come in and start beating the likes of Bradley Wilson-Dean? At least give James a chance before calling for his head. Swindon have a very strong top 3, and because of that other teams have had to go with a more solid line up.

Any 3 pointer will find points hard to come by, and the best way is to stick with James and help get him up to speed. I thought he rode ok against Ipswich, even if the points aren't there yet.

Zach and Dawid have started to score a few now. Who's to say James can't start soon. The level the league is this year, any opposition rider he beats will be a good result.

At least wait until David Bellego drops low enough to come in!

While at the same time keeping an eye on Stefan Nielsen.

• Like 2

I think Shanes deserves some time to get over his current injury, learn the new track and settle in at Swindon, no way should he be even considered for dropping until he has had a few months at 7 for the Robins and time to settle. The guy is a 100% trier and a racer to boot, I for one hope he comes good in time and think there is a decent chance he will. No need to panic.

Too many would be managers with no real idea what goes on in the world of speedway giving their hair brained opinions.

Edited by 65Sarge

13 hours ago, 65Sarge said:

I think Shanes deserves some time to get over his current injury, learn the new track and settle in at Swindon, no way should he be even considered for dropping until he has had a few months at 7 for the Robins and time to settle. The guy is a 100% trier and a racer to boot, I for one hope he comes good in time and think there is a decent chance he will. No need to panic.

Too many would be managers with no real idea what goes on in the world of speedway giving their hair brained opinions.

What is the current injury James is carrying? Not seen any news of that anywhere. My bigger fear with Shanes as you stated is that he is a racer and is at a track where racing can be an asset and yet points are still not coming. What he is not is a gater or a rider who can carry good speed around a bend. In comparison as a strong gater Tom Bacon has beaten Steve Worrall, Scott Nicholls & Josh Auty already this season along with regularly bettering MPT in heat 1's.

No particular skin off my nose what the Robins choose to do this season however my hair brained opinion is no less valid than yours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

What is the current injury James is carrying? Not seen any news of that anywhere. My bigger fear with Shanes as you stated is that he is a racer and is at a track where racing can be an asset and yet points are still not coming. What he is not is a gater or a rider who can carry good speed around a bend. In comparison as a strong gater Tom Bacon has beaten Steve Worrall, Scott Nicholls & Josh Auty already this season along with regularly bettering MPT in heat 1's.

No particular skin off my nose what the Robins choose to do this season however my hair brained opinion is no less valid than yours. 

He's damaged ligaments on one thumb & has difficulty gripping.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GWC said:

It may come to some people’s notice that James is only a reserve in a CL team of low averaged riders at Birmingham.

Quite what people expect of the lad in the PL is nonsense.

James has proved that is is a very talented motorcyclist, what he lacks is a proven "Speedway" mentor to fine tune his riding technique.   

• Like 2

If Jason is going to be out for a long spell, couldn't we sign Craig Cook as 28 day injury replacement. It would be better than scratching around for replacements caused by most PL riders riding on the same nights now. However, I do wish Jason a speedy recovery, he is irreplaceable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crazy robin said:

Craig Cook in for Doyle’s then & I guess it’s a 28 day replacement.

Confirmation?  If true then CFS will be very happy!!  Although I doubt Rosco will be too pleased at having another rider who can';t keep still at the starts?!

Edited by Skidder1

31 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Confirmation?  If true then CFS will be very happy!!  Although I doubt Rosco will be too pleased at having another rider who can';t keep still at the starts?!

Must admit when I first read the news I’d assumed he was guesting not temporary replacement.