British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2019

On 8/21/2018 at 9:29 PM, martinmauger said:

Hull Vikings had 8 World Champions :party:.  Read 'em and weep folks:  Ole Olsen (3x, 1 longtrack, 1WTC, 1 World Pairs), Barry Briggs (4x, 2x WTC), Egon Muller (3x long track, 1983), the late great Ivan Mauger (6x, 3x longtrack, 2x World Pairs, 4x WTC), Dennis Sigalos (World Pairs 1982), Joe Screen (U21 1993), Sam Ermolenko (1993, World Pairs, 1 WTC), Paul Thorp (WTC 1989).  Ok, Olsen refused to sign despite being allocated by the 'interest generating' rider control system and it really has to be said only Ivan Mauger won titles while actually a Hull rider but, hey :D....

Hull Vikings had 9 World Champions, missed one; Shawn Moran (longtrack 1983). ;)...

9 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Gospel just chatted with him in the bar. Been good mates for a long time. He said that Osborne cant build the final stage until the stadium is done.  Had a meeting in the ladt week or so. Seemed confident. 

Why the hell is he not publicising the facts then, does he not realise how important it is to the Robins fans, unbelievable!! 

3 hours ago, Trees said:

Why the hell is he not publicising the facts then, does he not realise how important it is to the Robins fans, unbelievable!! 

It looks to me like that is the exact same facts that they have been constantly publicising for the last 10 years.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Gospel just chatted with him in the bar. Been good mates for a long time. He said that Osborne cant build the final stage until the stadium is done.  Had a meeting in the ladt week or so. Seemed confident. 

Still think Terry's having the wool pulled over his eyes. Stadia UK have changed the plans so many times in the last 10 years & going on their record with building new stadiums, I'm not holding my breath.

On 21 August 2018 at 9:29 PM, martinmauger said:

Hull Vikings had 8 World Champions :party:.  Read 'em and weep folks:  Ole Olsen (3x, 1 longtrack, 1WTC, 1 World Pairs), Barry Briggs (4x, 2x WTC), Egon Muller (3x long track, 1983), the late great Ivan Mauger (6x, 3x longtrack, 2x World Pairs, 4x WTC), Dennis Sigalos (World Pairs 1982), Joe Screen (U21 1993), Sam Ermolenko (1993, World Pairs, 1 WTC), Paul Thorp (WTC 1989).  Ok, Olsen refused to sign despite being allocated by the 'interest generating' rider control system and it really has to be said only Ivan Mauger won titles while actually a Hull rider but, hey :D....

So you can add Shawn Moran Longtrack to that but most of these riders weren't at the club when won the titles. If you include past honours then Wolves have

Olsen, Nielsen, Eriksen, Schwartz, Sigalos, Ermolenko, Correy, Karlsson, Max, Loram, Woffinden, Pawlicki, Petersen, Cribb, Iversen, .... Could go on and I'm sure others would add more than this at Belle Vue or Cradley

8 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

He's not going to admit that the new stadium is never going to be built, that would be bad for his business. Everything will be positive, until the bulldozers move in. Stadia UK will get all the flak if it don't happen, not TR.

Hasn't Russell sold many of his shares in Swindon recently ?

Did hear that planning permission for the stadium was unlikely and they were likely to be moved out rather than building up the current stadium. 

Will there be another Farewell meeting if it does ?

1 hour ago, INCOGNITO said:

So you can add Shawn Moran Longtrack to that but most of these riders weren't at the club when won the titles. If you include past honours then Wolves have

Olsen, Nielsen, Eriksen, Schwartz, Sigalos, Ermolenko, Correy, Karlsson, Max, Loram, Woffinden, Pawlicki, Petersen, Cribb, Iversen, .... Could go on and I'm sure others would add more than this at Belle Vue or Cradley

Did, only Ivan won the World Championship & WTC in 1979 as a Hull rider, see post #246.  Of course Belle Vue with their long history will prob trounce everyone's 'Club's World Champions stats', prob Coventry too due to all the Danes who rode for the Bees, and also Cradley with 'win everything in sight Yanks', at one time the Danes & Yanks seemingly won everything over and over again at one time.  Still, was surprised at the Hull stats and it's all good fun...

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

14 hours ago, Trees said:

Probably thought if I tell Steve Shovlar “I love to tell people” then their would be no need to as he loves being in the know & couldn’t keep quiet in an empty room.

Edited by Crazy robin

On 8/23/2018 at 5:20 AM, Trees said:

There are a number of reason why, if it is true, it is not being publicised.

Firstly, admitting the existing stadium is being demolished before planning permission is granted for the "new" stadium is likely to cause a great deal of consternation - and rightly so.

Secondly, it finally put to bed the myth that the old stadium cannot be demolished until the new stadium has been built.

Thirdly, no one has any faith that the developers will not knock down the old stadium and simply leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, MattK said:

There are a number of reason why, if it is true, it is not being publicised.

Firstly, admitting the existing stadium is being demolished before planning permission is granted for the "new" stadium is likely to cause a great deal of consternation - and rightly so.

Secondly, it finally put to bed the myth that the old stadium cannot be demolished until the new stadium has been built.

Thirdly, no one has any faith that the developers will not knock down the old stadium and simply leave it at that.

Is it not in the Deed's Matt that a sporting venue has to stay there is that a lie.?

8 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Is it not in the Deed's Matt that a sporting venue has to stay there is that a lie.?

Not that I am aware. There was a restrictive convenant on the land around the stadium, as it was allocated to commercial use as part of the original North Swindon Development Plan, but this was clearly overlooked when they applied for permission to build houses.

I have heard people claim there is a restriction in the planning permission for the brand new stadium which says the old stadium cannot be demolished before the new one is built, but no one can point me to where in the planning permission this is written and I have read all the documents and cannot find any mention of it.

1 minute ago, MattK said:

Not that I am aware. There was a restrictive convenant on the land around the stadium, as it was allocated to commercial use as part of the original North Swindon Development Plan, but this was clearly overlooked when they applied for permission to build houses.

I have heard people claim there is a restriction in the planning permission for the brand new stadium which says the old stadium cannot be demolished before the new one is built, but no one can point me to where in the planning permission this is written and I have read all the documents and cannot find any mention of it.

If you were a betting man Matt and to your credit  you do get a lot right on all subjects do you see speedway starting at the Abbey in March 2019.?

20 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

If you were a betting man Matt and to your credit  you do get a lot right on all subjects do you see speedway starting at the Abbey in March 2019.?

Yes, I think so. Say what you want about Clarke Osborne, he definitely plans the long game. There are tens of millions of pounds worth of housing to be built on the land where the new stadium was supposed to go. I can't see him jeopardising that upsetting the council/speedway fans.

For me, the biggest short term issue must be the houses they have built right next to the pits. The noise there must be insufferable during meetings.

I still think the best solution is for the club to cut a deal with Osborne, agree for the stadium to be demolished and housing put in it's place, in exchange for a downpayment to the club for a new stadium elsewhere in Swindon away from any potential new developments. I simply cannot see a long term future for the Robins at the Abbey now that is almost completely surrounded by homes.

• Like 1