British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2019

18 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Never understood why a club would not use a World Champion the following year, makes no sense to me. Has any club ever done that in the past ?

Per Jonsson in 1991. Apparently wanted too much of a pay rise and so stayed in Sweden. Perhaps no coincidence that Reading won the league in 1990 and 1992 when he was there!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Never understood why a club would not use a World Champion the following year, makes no sense to me. Has any club ever done that in the past ?

Belle Vue. 

Fundin. Missed UK. 

Mauger - Rider control. 

Crump - Poached whilst new owners took over. 

• Thanks 1

Hull Vikings had 8 World Champions :party:.  Read 'em and weep folks:  Ole Olsen (3x, 1 longtrack, 1WTC, 1 World Pairs), Barry Briggs (4x, 2x WTC), Egon Muller (3x long track, 1983), the late great Ivan Mauger (6x, 3x longtrack, 2x World Pairs, 4x WTC), Dennis Sigalos (World Pairs 1982), Joe Screen (U21 1993), Sam Ermolenko (1993, World Pairs, 1 WTC), Paul Thorp (WTC 1989).  Ok, Olsen refused to sign despite being allocated by the 'interest generating' rider control system and it really has to be said only Ivan Mauger won titles while actually a Hull rider but, hey :D....

Edited by martinmauger
added smugness, spelling

10 hours ago, MattK said:

Technically, Doyle wasn't world champion when he rode for Swindon.

10 hours ago, MattK said:

Technically, Doyle wasn't world champion when he rode for Swindon.

The ROLL of  HONOUR says otherwise  i am proud of Briggo being World Champion and now Doyley and Jason has more title's left in him yet.

I guess Swindon still can claim Jason as a World Champion, because he hadn't been released when he won the title and rode all the rounds as a Swindon rider.

I think we all know that it's Somerset who are getting all the joy of it, though.

26 minutes ago, ZagarRacing said:

Poor Crowds

Weeks without a home meeting 

Poor Track Conditions

Poor Management

Poor Performances

New Stadium Uncertainty 

Sense of club on the brink 

2018 has been dire in every way

Would you bring back Jack Smith and David Bellego next season?

This new stadium stored in Wales, does it exist ? Has anybody seen it and who payed for it. How did Swindon council give planning permission for houses to be built so close to the track if they believed racing would continue. Were people who bought new houses told on the QT that there would be no speedway in the future ? It all smells a bit fishy, I will be surprised I hope if we have a team next year. 

We had the false dawn of a couple of early away wins, but the reservations about the team have come home to roost, after last years highs everything looked rosy apart from the stadium uncertainty, no WC to cheer and a side built on the cheap has quickly dampened the positivity, think this will be the end of the road and the Robins go the way of so many great clubs.

51 minutes ago, ZagarRacing said:

Poor Crowds

Weeks without a home meeting 

Poor Track Conditions

Poor Management

Poor Performances

New Stadium Uncertainty 

Sense of club on the brink 

2018 has been dire in every way

I would differ with the poor crowds considering they have held up quite well  especially with it  being World Cup year that was a bloody nuisance.Also with the uncertainty surrounding the club thing's could of been worse Lee Kilby doing a great job doing his best to push the club forward commercially.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, johnno4 said:

How did Swindon council give planning permission for houses to be built so close to the track if they believed racing would continue. Were people who bought new houses told on the QT that there would be no speedway in the future ?

When planning permission for the housing development was granted the stadium was supposed to have been demolished and a new one built away from where the houses now are.

It is only after the houses were built that plans have been submitted to redevelop the old stadium.