British Speedway Forum

Ronnie Moore

I think that the remark made by Ronnie's old Promoter at Wimbledon,the late Ronnie Greene,said everything.As a rider and a Gentleman Ronnie Moore is second to none.We won't see the likes of Mirac again,but as one lucky enough to meet him and see him ride I feel honoured.  RIP Ronnie, Condolences to your family at this sad time.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:35 PM, Chris116 said:

It is a very sad reflection on the sport in this country that both the BSPA and SCB websites have ignored this news.

I too remember him at Norwich and at Wimbledon when I was foolish enough to criss-cross the country to watch the cream of the action. One of the best riders I have seen in 60+ years of supporting speedway racing.

The fact that the BSPA and SCB websites seem to have ignored his passing tells us much about what is wrong with how the sport is run nowadays. Certainly not being run by gentlemen, nor gentle men and women.

• Like 3

It's rare that you can call a speedway rider graceful but that smooth style of his, letting the bike do all the work, was a joy to see, especially at Plough Lane.

I recall him winning a race at Cradley in a ridiculously slow time with his bike popping and banging for nearly all four laps but his skill was such that nobody could get past him.

RIP Ronnie.

• Like 1

Remember him riding for The Dons when I supported them mid-late 60s, legend.

R.I.P.

Edited by auntie doris

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, auntie doris said:

Remember him riding for The Dons when I supported them mid-late 60s, legend.

R.I.P.

R.I.P.  and in a sad coincidence he and fellow team mate, Bob Dugard with whom he rode in 1969 and 1970 both died within a week of each other. Other Dons of the same era but since passed away include Cyril Maidment,  (Slim) Jim Tebby, and Garry Middleton.

Edited by tocha
missed out a word
  • Like 2

Brilliant multi-page tribute to Ronnie Moore in today's Speedway Star. The (older) writers have really come in to their own in the last few weeks and months when they have had to cover the deaths of such big names in the Sport.

They clearly write from great knowledge and personal experience that hasbeen wonderful to read; despite the tragic circumstances.

Puts some of the modern articles on up to date issues that, all too often, do little more than regurgitate press releases into the shade.

And the brilliant cover photo of Ronnie is just as stunning as the earlier one of Ivan ... Just great.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Brilliant multi-page tribute to Ronnie Moore in today's Speedway Star. The (older) writers have really come in to their own in the last few weeks and months when they have had to cover the deaths of such big names in the Sport.

They clearly write from great knowledge and personal experience that hasbeen wonderful to read; despite the tragic circumstances.

Puts some of the modern articles on up to date issues that, all too often, do little more than regurgitate press releases into the shade.

And the brilliant cover photo of Ronnie is just as stunning as the earlier one of Ivan ... Just great.

THANKS for the comment although, naturally, would prefer not to have to go down that road. Always struck in old photos, like the one of Ronnie above, how the handlebars of their day differ from the modern bike. In years gone by riders travelling by air to meetings across Europe would often take their handlebars with them as hand luggage. Wouldn't get away with that now!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THANKS for the comment although, naturally, would prefer not to have to go down that road. Always struck in old photos, like the one of Ronnie above, how the handlebars of their day differ from the modern bike. In years gone by riders travelling by air to meetings across Europe would often take their handlebars with them as hand luggage. Wouldn't get away with that now!

A great tribute by the speedway star i have the original front picture photo a brilliant shot is it a 1969 shot or 68 Phil.?