British Speedway Forum

A top 10 to be proud of.

Sidney the robin

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2018 at 7:09 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I was doing an alltime top ten the other night and how difficult is that really difficult these ten in no order would be mine be great to hear your views FUNDIN - BRIGGS- MOORE - MAUGER- CRAVEN- NIELSEN-OLSEN- CRUMP- RICKARDSSON-FARNDON.

I respect your listing Sidney the robin.  We all have our own views. But I have just one query. Nine of your 10 riders are 'modern era' riders who most likely you have seen. But the nomination for one rider - who I have full historical respect for is also listed - Tommy Farndon. His death in 1935 was most probably 25-30 years before some of your nominees started to come to the speedway forefront. On what basic grounds to you include him?

This is impossibly difficult, if pride is simply achievement then just go through the records and list the most impressive but if pride means someone who seemed to give their all, no matter what, then we get down to our personal experiences in whatever capacity we attended Speedway. Blokes who gave their all and who readily come to mind (mine that is) are; Aub Lawson, Nigel Boocock, Peter Craven, Torbjorn Harrysson and Andrew Silver. I think someone who you know is doing their best, is at least as impressive as someone who has the winning formula and seems to find it oh so easy.

16 minutes ago, gustix said:

I respect your listing Sidney the robin.  We all have our own views. But I have just one query. Nine of your 10 riders are 'modern era' riders who most likely you have seen. But the nomination for one rider - who I have full historical respect for is also listed - Tommy Farndon. His death in 1935 was most probably 25-30 years before some of your nominees started to come to the speedway forefront. On what basic grounds to you include him?

More so on listening and reading articles on him and respecting  the view points of the likes of yourself, Norbold , Chaplin, (ect) .Also my uncle spoke about him he did not see him ride as he was from the Parker/ Langton era he raved about him. My  take is four riders i believe for different reasons  were robbed of the chance to show there real GREATNESS (ie) Farndon ,Duggan, Huxley, Craven all in a top 20 of alltime.

5 minutes ago, foamfence said:

This is impossibly difficult, if pride is simply achievement then just go through the records and list the most impressive but if pride means someone who seemed to give their all, no matter what, then we get down to our personal experiences in whatever capacity we attended Speedway. Blokes who gave their all and who readily come to mind (mine that is) are; Aub Lawson, Nigel Boocock, Peter Craven, Torbjorn Harrysson and Andrew Silver. I think someone who you know is doing their best, is at least as impressive as someone who has the winning formula and seems to find it oh so easy.

Spot on great post Clive Hitch was my rider that comes into the category of the one's you named.

• Like 1

My current Top Ten - not in order and updating any previous similar lists I may have made: Jack Milne, Ove Fundin, Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Ivan Mauger, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon.

17 hours ago, gustix said:

My current Top Ten - not in order and updating any previous similar lists I may have made: Jack Milne, Ove Fundin, Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Ivan Mauger, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon.

Upon further reflection the only riders I never saw in action were Jack Milne, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon.

19 minutes ago, gustix said:

Upon further reflection the only riders I never saw in action were Jack Milne, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon.

I thought I was Old! :rofl: