British Speedway Forum

A top 10 to be proud of.

Sidney the robin

On riders seen..Fundin Mauger Briggs Olsen Nielsen Rickardsson Craven Crump Moore Knutsson

Edited by auntie doris

Depends on what you want from your top ten - personally, I prefer entertainers to trophy winners and as I watched more NL speedway in the 80's than any other period, my list would probably not agree with anyone else's

Anyway, in my opinion

1) Barry Thomas -

the rest in no particular order

Alan Mogridge, Mark Loram, Andy Galvin, Martin Goodwin, Kelvin Mullarkey, Kelly Moran, Chris Morton, Tomasz Gollob, Joe Screen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy Downes said:

Depends on what you want from your top ten - personally, I prefer entertainers to trophy winners and as I watched more NL speedway in the 80's than any other period, my list would probably not agree with anyone else's

Anyway, in my opinion

1) Barry Thomas -

the rest in no particular order

Alan Mogridge, Mark Loram, Andy Galvin, Martin Goodwin, Kelvin Mullarkey, Kelly Moran, Chris Morton, Tomasz Gollob, Joe Screen

Barry Thomas. Kelvin Mullarkey, Andrew Silver, Bruce Forrester,Brian Foote ,Les Ott, Colin Gooddy,Malcolm Ballard, Shawn McConnell Lee Complin.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Barry Thomas. Kelvin Mullarkey, Andrew Silver, Bruce Forrester,Brian Foote ,Les Ott, Colin Gooddy,Malcolm Ballard, Shawn McConnell Lee Complin.

...nice to see 'Mad' Malc Ballard in your list Sid! Wonder whatever happened to him?  Retired far too soon after a move to Leicester via Poole in 1974.

Greatest riders Tony Rickardsson, Hans Nielsen, Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Peter Collins, Michael Lee, Greg Hancock, Jason Crump, Darcy Ward, Tai Woffinden.

Greatest entertainers Barry Thomas, Zenon Plech, Tomasz Gollob, Mark Loram, Andy Galvin, Kelly Moran, Alan Mogridge, Chris Morton, Kelvin Mullarkey, Bartosz Zmarzlik

Top ten entertainers I have seen in the GPs, EL and PL, in no order:

Frank Smart, Tomasz Gollob, Nicki Pedersen, Andreas Jonsson, Charlie Gjedde (Newport 2011-sublime), Chris Harris, Tony Rickardsson, NK Iversen, Ben Howe (Newport) and Antonio Lindback (his early EL days). 

Not sure on best riders but a certain top 4 of:

Nicki Pedersen, Greg Hancock, Tony Rickardsson and Jason Crump.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Trotter65 said:

I'd have Ermolenko ahead of Hancock any day..more talent in his little finger and the greatest team rider I've ever seen....all the other names are fine most entertaining trio are probably Loram,Gustafsson and Screen 

...Hans Nielsen was the best team rider that I'd seen although I hate to admit it Ole Olsen wasn't bad! Although I only saw Ronnie Moore during his last full season in Britain (1972) many acknowledge him as one of the best of all time.

Could be the start of another interesting thread...Team Riding exponents?

Nielsen was a great team rider..especially in his Oxford days when he was probably at his very best in that era, I think the best rider I've seen over a range of tracks I think....Ermolenko in his Wolves peak was a great team rider though , especially at Monmore where he covered every bit of track behind his partner at times ..Gundersen was the best rider I saw around Hyde Road I think and Nielsen the best overall..

Edited by Trotter65
Errors
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

I would say Carter > Gundersen around Hyde Rd.

Carter for me was the best visiting rider i saw at Hyde Rd i only see him in BLRC but the place was made for him.I always thought if he had stayed alive he would of rode for the Aces at some stage in his career.If he had stayed FIT could he have won at Bradford 85?he would of had a real chance i believe.

11 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Carter for me was the best visiting rider i saw at Hyde Rd i only see him in BLRC but the place was made for him.I always thought if he had stayed alive he would of rode for the Aces at some stage in his career.If he had stayed FIT could he have won at Bradford 85?he would of had a real chance i believe.

Not sure he would have moved to the aces.87 would have been the last chance to move to Hyde Rd and maybe he could have replaced PC - but would Bammy have outlaid  so much to bring him there when presumably he knew at the start of the season he was considering selling? Odsal would probably have suited him better than kirky lane.

Fully agree re 85. He would have gone in regarded as one of four riders with a chance of winning it. Draw would have played a big part given how favourable gate 1 was, particularly in the first half of the meeting. 

• Haha 1