British Speedway Forum

Leicester v Poole. Prem. 9/7/18. BT sports.

44 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

I've not bothered watching the recording based on the comments in this thread, it actually sounded worse than the wolves v Leicester TV meeting which I watched in 20min mainly due to the interviews. 

Was it as bad as that?

Worse. About as bad as it gets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Out of interest, how did the crowd figure look on Monday.

Looking at the POL video posted by Nightshift it looked pretty poor on the parts the camera covered, but couldnt see what it was like in I assume the main stand where the camera was posted.

Surprisingly good considering most tracks have a big drop in attendances when TV are there.  Looked to be a normal crowd but whether they will lose a few after the mostly processional racing remains to be seen. 

I agree that the meeting wasn't a classic by any stretch of the imagination. Particularly the first 6 or so heats, but it did improve a little later on. 

Having said that I don't think there is any track, probably with the exception of Bell Vue,  that produces amazing racing week in week out.  I don't know enough about it to say that this is down to the bikes nowadays or the setups.  However, I think a major factor is the amazing weather that we have all been enjoying.  The ground, in general, is rock hard and it must be difficult getting any moisture in the tracks. 

2 hours ago, ray c said:

Going back to the meeting I wonder if Hans was on gate two in heat 15 it would have been a better option than bjerre just a thought ?

Hans was Leicester's best rider by that stage but with Klindt going from 3 he had almost no chance. Bjerre's fall had knocked his confidence and so on this occasion it may have been better with Wells going from 4 but the chances of beating Klindt were still going to be slim. But they might have had a better chance of combining to stop Kurtz and get a draw. 

It's a shame for Leicester that Klindt's engine failures at Ipswich yesterday didn't occur sooner!

3 hours ago, ray c said:

Going back to the meeting I wonder if Hans was on gate two in heat 15 it would have been a better option than bjerre just a thought ?

I think the mistake was made much earlier on in heat one when Lions won the toss and chose gates 1 & 3. :D They should have waited and picked  gates in the last heat after watching to see which were more advantageous.    Even the flying Klindt could do nothing  from the back when he didn't gate in heat 12 off four and got beaten by Charles Wright and James Sarjeant, plus his own team mate Jakobsen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gemini said:

I think the mistake was made much earlier on in heat one when Lions won the toss and chose gates 1 & 3. :D They should have waited and picked  gates in the last heat after watching to see which were more advantageous.    Even the flying Klindt could do nothing  from the back when he didn't gate in heat 12 off four and got beaten by Charles Wright and James Sarjeant, plus his own team mate Jakobsen.

I suppose you would hope you have won it by heat 15 then gates dont matter ?

4 hours ago, Gemini said:

I don't know why any sensible person wouldn't go for the heat 15 option when winning the toss.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ray c said:

I suppose you would hope you have won it by heat 15 then gates dont matter ?

You can hope but this is Leicester who seem able to build up a good lead but then lose a lot of it in the second half of a match so it makes more sense to have the choice of the best gates in the last heat. 

7 hours ago, Elmo said:

I don't know why any sensible person wouldn't go for the heat 15 option when winning the toss.

Agree and perhaps Simon would have chosen differently if he had been there. 

Poole, having a rider of  Klindt  quality at reserve was always going to be the telling factor.  The  Leicester track is tailor made for a gater like  Klindt  He was always going to have extra rides and score loads of points.   I was surprised the Lions were in contention as long as they were.     Take away Klindt  haul and the rest of Poole side were pretty ordinary, so Leicester shouldn't feel  too disappointed.  

The one obvious deduction to come from this meeting was that the Lions reserves are desperately weak and are in  need  strengthening.    Have always thought it would be better to have at least one  strong reserves at the expense of points higher up in the team....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gemini said:

You can hope but this is Leicester who seem able to build up a good lead but then lose a lot of it in the second half of a match so it makes more sense to have the choice of the best gates in the last heat. 

Agree and perhaps Simon would have chosen differently if he had been there. 

There is nothing to suggest the result would have been different if Poole had won the toss and taken 1 and 3, personally the way the meeting went i would think Poole would have got 4 points. 

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

Poole, having a rider of  Klindt  quality at reserve was always going to be the telling factor.  The  Leicester track is tailor made for a gater like  Klindt  He was always going to have extra rides and score loads of points.   I was surprised the Lions were in contention as long as they were.     Take away Klindt  haul and the rest of Poole side were pretty ordinary, so Leicester shouldn't feel  too disappointed.  

The one obvious deduction to come from this meeting was that the Lions reserves are desperately weak and are in  need  strengthening.    Have always thought it would be better to have at least one  strong reserves at the expense of points higher up in the team....

Why would you take away Klindts haul? He is part of the team like the other 6 riders. 

35 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Why would you take away Klindts haul? He is part of the team like the other 6 riders. 

Another case of jealousy Steve. It wont matter who drops down to reserve they will both be good.. Perhaps wiggins will look at our team and he will see what we mean..;)

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Again you  are missing the point,    I was comparing Klindt score against those of the rest of the team.   Such was the advantage of having a strong  reserve, any team would have profited  likewise  had they had the same....

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Another case of jealousy Steve. It wont matter who drops down to reserve they will both be good.. Perhaps wiggins will look at our team and he will see what we mean..;)

In all of my years , jealousy has never been one of my straits.     In fact I believe jealousy is such a juvenile behaviour,   that its probably more in keeping with those who think it.....  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, g13webb said:

They had the chance to get a stronger reserve in when the 2 changes were made. IMO, Newman should have been retained & Kurtz released, I know he was injured at the time but he was back with Lakeside a week later, this would have given them a much stronger reserve & a better balanced line-up.

• Like 1