British Speedway Forum

Is Rye House the worst stadium in the Premiership?

I USED to love going to rye on a few Saturday nights in the summer circa 2010, it was pleasant, the first 2 bends were nice for viewing and the crowds were fine for div 2 speedway.

Bar the track improvements since, the rest of its been a complete disaster, the fixed race night has been the final nail in the coffin.

The new outfit have payed way over the odds for riders that are all going downhill form wise which is a crime, its a loss leader if you've a gd team and crowds are flocking in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orbiter said:

I would imagine those that have never been to Rye House and saw it for the first time on the box had a real eye opener to the state of some of these stadiums.

It was an emergency bolt hole for the trackless Rayleigh Rockets in 1974 and really not a lot has changed. It was there or oblivion.

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It was an emergency bolt hole for the trackless Rayleigh Rockets in 1974 and really not a lot has changed. It was there or oblivion.

I guess anything is better than nothing but was there no improvements made, but then I suppose with no money it just led to decay further.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, waytogo28 said:

It certainly looks like the worst stadium, as seen on TV. I have not visited it since the change of promotion but the motocross course looks terrible unless it does bring in a new income stream/ fans. On TV the stadium it looks as if some awful natural disaster has recently taken place there. It reminds me of King's Lynn in the early 1980s before major work took place. 

From spectating   view of the racing IMO Kings Lynn is far worse. Despite dramatic cosmetic  improvements the view of the racing and indeed the atmosphere was much better in the Cyril Crane  Maury Littlechild  days

Edited by wealdstone

3 hours ago, Orbiter said:

I guess anything is better than nothing but was there no improvements made, but then I suppose with no money it just led to decay further.

"Improvements" we're made but most had to be taken down, for example the 1980s home straight scaffolding 'stands'. Len Silver widened the track by scrapping the dog track but more recent developments have appeared to be abortive. The main stand's access was questionable in 1974 and certainly hasn't improved since . I constantly had to read out safety warnings about people blocking stairways at the then lease holder's

insistence .

Every meeting would see their representative burst into the box shouting that the meeting was off unless people moved. All part of the delights of trying to help your team........

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

"Improvements" we're made but most had to be taken down, for example the 1980s home straight scaffolding 'stands'. Len Silver widened the track by scrapping the dog track but more recent developments have appeared to be abortive. The main stand's access was questionable in 1974 and certainly hasn't improved since . I constantly had to read out safety warnings about people blocking stairways at the then passenger's insistence .

Every meeting would see their representative burst into the box shouting that the meeting was off unless people moved. All part of the delights of trying to help your team........

Passenger?

On 6/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, cityrebel said:

Mildenhall is the king of fish & chips in British speedway!

Of that there is no doubt

Edited by Shadders

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Hows life treating you in the frozen north shads.

Life is good thanks. Been sweltering this week. Warmer than London, believe it or not. Happy to have speedway 2 minutes from home virtually every Saturday evening, although it’s not the same as watching your own team. 

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Life is good thanks. Been sweltering this week. Warmer than London, believe it or not. Happy to have speedway 2 minutes from home virtually every Saturday evening, although it’s not the same as watching your own team. 

Fingers crossed that your team survive shads. Things are looking bleak at the moment, but until it's official, there's still hope.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Fingers crossed that your team survive shads. Things are looking bleak at the moment, but until it's official, there's still hope.

Ideal scenario for me would be running in the second tier, so I could see them when they travel up north. I’m within a couple of hours drive of 5 Championship tacks

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

I can't believe that they are still standing! They were far from salubrious twenty years ago. No doubt the ones in the new stadium will smell sweetly, 

Lets hope the planned spot doesnt end up as the downstairs cloakroom of Number 76 No Speedway Avenue. ...

• Like 1