British Speedway Forum

27•06•18 - Premiership - Rye House v Swindon

10 minutes ago, GWC said:

Love the way Poole supporters are lining up their next signing from the Rye team!

Never mind won’t be long before they are in a league of their own.

Having read various comments about Poole on here over the years I thought they were already in a league of their own!

So the announcement on the Rye website now states 'meeting postponed' - rather than 'cancelled'!!

Whatever the unforeseen circumstances are, maybe Rye's outstanding rearranged home fixtures will have to be run at the weekend due to unavailability of Mons/Weds before the cut-off?!

46 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

It is true to say though that for much of last season and over the winter, most people on on forum thought FRN were the answer and the BSPA must have listened to that, along with Jason Doyle, Chris Holder and other riders. I always said it was a bad idea, tail wagging dog etc. If a rider cannot commit to a club then get someone who can - their loss. To risk the viability of clubs is the ultimate risk in my view, much more important than transient riders. Why should they be allowed to ride in 2 or even 3 UK leagues? Those over 6 in PL should not be allowed in CL and I don't care whether they rode CL or not before. It's time they got tough with this. Yes, it will reduce riders in the CL but there are plenty in NL and development leagues to take up places.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's now the same people moaning about the FRN that thought it was a good idea those many months ago.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Every club has to run on the best night for their business, to attract the best crowd. If the riders can't commit to this, then they have to go. What is more important, The track surviving, or the riders financial needs.

Therein lies the root of most of the issues. The sport is run to appease the riders and everything and everyone else has to fall in line behind

Until that mentality changes it will continue to spiral southwards!

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NICE idea but stadium availability as much as rider availability is an issue. 

Clubs should race on the night or their choice,we will always disagree on rider availability,but we should pick riding that commit to GB even if it means lowering the standard .Fans Are paying over the odds for the standard they are watching now IMO.Id rather see young riders putting in some effort than watch what I am seeing now by so so called star riders.Everything hunky dory in BSPA TOWERS though.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Clubs should race on the night or their choice,we will always disagree on rider availability,but we should pick riding that commit to GB even if it means lowering the standard .Fans Are paying over the odds for the standard they are watching now IMO.Id rather see young riders putting in some effort than watch what I am seeing now by so so called star riders.Everything hunky dory in BSPA TOWERS though.

The biggest issue last season was rider availability due to clashes between the Premiership and Championship. How would ensuring riders are committed to Britain get around that?

16 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Though if you say 'postponed' I think you have to give a reason for it. 

The Stoke Potters web site says that "many" tracks have had problems in sourcing the right shale. Could this be a reason? Stoke have had to postpone fixtures until their track problems have been fixed to the SCB's satisfaction. Maybe the Rye House promotion don't want the falls and injuries that befell Stoke, and have taken pre-emptive action until a source of the right kind of shale is found. Maybe admitting the problem is to embarrassing for the promoters?

On the other hand, it could be something else completely.

5 minutes ago, MattK said:

The biggest issue last season was rider availability due to clashes between the Premiership and Championship. How would ensuring riders are committed to Britain get around that?

One big league no clashes then with other domestic leagues - In Rye House case we went last season when Kings Lynn was there on Easter Saturday and I’d not seen a crowd like that at Rye for many years - surely Saturday night speedway has to return to Rye or there will be no speedway there - it’s the same at some other clubs a move to weekend speedway or what ever night is best suited to each club - but definitely like to see speedway run more at weekends as they do in Poland - one big league using only riders that put our league first no exceptions 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Haza said:

One big league no clashes then with other domestic leagues - In Rye House case we went last season when Kings Lynn was there on Easter Saturday and I’d not seen a crowd like that at Rye for many years - surely Saturday night speedway has to return to Rye or there will be no speedway there - it’s the same at some other clubs a move to weekend speedway or what ever night is best suited to each club - but definitely like to see speedway run more at weekends as they do in Poland - one big league using only riders that put our league first no exceptions 

Where would you get enough riders to fill the teams??

You would have to make the teams 5 man only

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, MattK said:

By not letting them ride in multiple UK leagues.

Just now, Dodger Blue said:

Not if you reduce points limits - there are several in NL/development leagues who could step up and yes, maybe reducing the number of riders in each team could also help.

13 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

Use whatever standard of riders that’s needed to fill the teams - 5 man teams maybe the only way to go in season one who knows - one thing for certain things can’t carry on as they are much longer - if Rye was to fold will BT pull out of the deal the whole league could be on the verge of collapse as we speak. 

13 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Not if you reduce points limits - there are several in NL/development leagues who could step up and yes, maybe reducing the number of riders in each team could also help.

I was waiting for someone to suggest that.... Speedway fans just don't understand Maths! What would you do the following year when everyone's averages are too high... continue to keep on watering the product down time after time like the BSPA had done for a period of time?! Thankfully they seem to have understood the correct points limit and that has remained in place this season.

Continue to water the product down and charge the same is not the answer.

4 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Continue to water the product down and charge the same is not the answer.

I genuinely suspect that there is no answer. Nothing that will bring in adequate numbers of new fans. It is being rejected by current fans who do not want what is on offer. What is there to change?

1 minute ago, MattK said:

How are riders supposed to make a living if you cut their number of meetings by 50%?

Simple - if they're not good enough to ride competitively to make a sufficient living,  they should be part-time.

Classic tail wagging the dog comment. Break the foundations of the sport so the riders don't have to get jobs!

• Like 1